Virgin 360 Box - Cable Modem Mode - Own Ethernet router - Mini Box - Possible?

Optician

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the getting the Oomph package Or at least, trying to persuade them to upgrade from 200 broadband to it. I've been reading the forums and trying to learn what I can. So far, I understand both the 360 box and the mini box have to have the white coaxial connection to VM, and either wired or WiFi connection between themselves.

At the moment, I run a virgin media V2ac modem at 200Mbit in cable modem mode. This connects to a TP-Link OpenVPN router and then to an 1G/10G Ethernet hub/switch. My WiFi router is used as an access point plugged into the hub, as are all my other Ethernet wires. The TP-Link Ethernet router is the default gateway. I run most things internal fixed IP, with the TP-Link router handing out DHCP over a limited range to anything needing it. The ethernet router is also used for MAC filtering and some other blocking

I would like to keep this sort of configuration but it poses some questions I can't find answers to.

1. Can the VM hub/router thing be run in cable modem only mode, and my network connected as above?
2. Will the 360 box and mini box be happy both plugged into my hub and still talk to each other?
3. Does my IP scheme have ramifications for the two VM boxes?. Are they normally dynamic IP or can they be configured fixed IP?.
4. I'm assuming/hoping VM runs with the same slowly changing dynamic IP that my 200Mbit does, in a normal external x.x.x.x scheme, and not some internal 10.x.x.x scheme. Is this accurate please?
5. lastly, can I get proper manuals on any or their hardware please?

I'm probably asking a lot, but if any of you could help me with these questions, or in understanding how their stuff works these days so I can work round it, I would be very grateful. The reason I want to do this config is so the only use made of my connection is what I know about and can configure and control, plus the original 2ac WiFi router was very poor. I want to change mainly for cost and for better bandwidth. Currently, 200Mbit costs 66 ukp/month VM, and Sky+ is 109 ukp/month. That 175/month will reduce to 135/month and broadband increase from 200Mbit to 600Mbit.

Again, any help much appreciated,
Optician

1. Yes
2. If the VM hub is in modem mode then the 360 and mini will need to connect to your router.
3. Both devices are dynamic IP but you can reserve the addresses on your router.
4. You are correct, the IP address that VM use on the hub is external.
5. No manuals are available for VM devices but there are numerous online help pages.

Last edited:
That's great news, many thanks indeed David. Next step is negotiating with VM. Troubles me a little how much they emphasise these packages as "new customers only", but if I pay the ongoing rate and not expect the newbies 18 month discount then I don't see the problem. They seem to want updaters to use this online chat thing, I think phone may be better if they actually disclose a number anywhere.A

Thanks again David. Hope this thread will help somebody else one day.

The phone number of plastered all over the Virgin website, in fact some things can only be done by telephone

Thanks. Strangely, I saw a lot of it until I logged in. Then, as a customer with just old broadband, almost every link led to the same page asking to to chat for upgrade. My badly phrased question was really trying to ask how people had got on using chat as opposed to telephone when trying to upgrade and get a good deal on the config you wanted.

You’re unlikely to get anything near to a new customer deal unless you go thru the cancellations process, which you won’t have access to via online chat.

you may have to actually officially cancel and see if they call you back before the 30 days run out.

they know no one else is likely to be able to supply the speeds you get, so they might call your bluff

I'm not expecting or asking for the new customer deal of £89/month, I'm happy to pay the full yearly contract of £135/month. At that point, they make more money from me that a new customer, and more than the £66/month they've had from me for longer than I can remember. I can't think why they wouldn't do it. I can't afford to be without internet and I also don't want to lose my landline number which I've had since way back when it was Cable & Wireless!

You shouldn’t need to speak to anyone then, you can upgrade via the website, assuming you are out of minimum term contract

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom