Virgin 2-Way Splitter

mattjread

Novice Member
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help.

I currently have and pay for Virgin Internet + Phone Line rental. No TV package currently.

Now as it stands, Virgin Cable goes directly into the Internet Hub and alls well. We don't ever watch live TV, more using streaming services - partly down to the fact there is no aerial for live tv in the living room.

My in-laws have recently come to stay with us and after cancelling their Virgin V6 TV package at their previous residence, they had a spare box (which they are in the process of sending back). As the mother-in-law wanted to watch live TV, I simply used a two way splitter to split the incoming virgin cable between my Internet box and also to their V6 box - which was then connected to my TV via HDMI.

Now as we only wanted Freeview channels in this scenario, I thought this was ok. The internet works and TV worked straight away. However this morning the standard Virgin Media error message 7400 appeared about contacting them etc etc.

To note, I appreciate most will say buy a subscription with Virgin for TV, or install an aerial. I'm not saying I'm against that, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the above set up work for the basic 1-5 channels etc as a quick fix. Obviously I don't really want to subscribe or pay for an installation if there is a way of splitting the signal going forward.

Thanks for all help in advance,

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, it won't work without contacting VM to add another box to your account.

mattjread

Novice Member
No, it won't work without contacting VM to add another box to your account.

Thanks for your response. It is currently working, the error message popped up, disappeared and alls good. I just wondered going forward if this is viable or if anyone has done it/continues to do it or if the error message just keeps coming back and bothering people until they call up.

Thought I'd check either way!

dante01

Distinguished Member
You shouldn't technically be able to do as you are doing. Each box has to be registered to a specific account at a specific address. A box sourced via a different account shouldn't work in association with an account it wasn't setup and registered in accordance with. This is why people are advised not to buy secondhand Virgin Media STBs off of eBay because such boxes will not work in association with any account they were not registered with. The only practical use for such a box would be as a door stop.

Virgin Media don't carry Freeview or any free channels. You'd have to pay Virgin Media to access any and all channels via their cable network.

It is a mystery how you are managing to get anything via the V6 if it isn't registered to your account and if registered to someone elses?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Is ‘all well’ if both Virgin Box’s are On?

Joe

winston2010

You shouldn't technically be able to do as you are doing. Each box has to be registered to a specific account at a specific address.

Not quite. It will work at another address in the area, i.e fed from the same headend. However if an account has been cancelled VM will disable the box in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom