Virgin 1 and few others poor signal quality

ploder

Novice Member
Our freeview TV is in the area covered by the Crystal Palace transmitter. On a few channels such as Virgin 1, Bid TV and Fiver there is a very poor signal quality most of the time which results in the picture becoming 'blocky' and the sound skipping like hell. I would just switch to Sky Freeview but Virgin 1 is not on there and I quite like watching (trying to) Star Trek Voyager in the mornings. Is there anything that can be done about poor signal quality. Every other channel apart from the ones mentioned seems to work fine.:confused:

Gavtech

Administrator
Our freeview TV is in the area covered by the Crystal Palace transmitter. On a few channels such as Virgin 1, Bid TV and Fiver there is a very poor signal quality most of the time which results in the picture becoming 'blocky' and the sound skipping like hell. I would just switch to Sky Freeview but Virgin 1 is not on there and I quite like watching (trying to) Star Trek Voyager in the mornings. Is there anything that can be done about poor signal quality. Every other channel apart from the ones mentioned seems to work fine.:confused:
All those channels are on Mux A ...which is being transmitted at a relatively low power from Crystal Palace compared to the other muxes ... and which is obviously right on the cusp of your locations reception threshold.

You need to boost your aerial signal a tad, to keep the signal level for that Mux safely above that threshold.

pinnocchio

Sorry I have to say there is a specific problem with Virgin 1

I am also getting signal from the CP transmitter and have line of sight to it with my antenna.

I get ITV3, Fiver, Five US, CNN Smash Hits Radio all fine I even get Quest (although it's picture quality is a bit dodgy sometimes), however on Virgin 1 I get nada.

Sometimes during the day it'll drift in, but in the last two weeks I've given up trying to receive it and don't bother scheduling recordings for it any more.

Gavtech

Administrator
Sorry I have to say there is a specific problem with Virgin 1

I am also getting signal from the CP transmitter and have line of sight to it with my antenna.

I get ITV3, Fiver, Five US, CNN Smash Hits Radio all fine I even get Quest (although it's picture quality is a bit dodgy sometimes), however on Virgin 1 I get nada.

Sometimes during the day it'll drift in, but in the last two weeks I've given up trying to receive it and don't bother scheduling recordings for it any more.
This cannot be a reception issue in that case, provided Virgin 1 is on Mux A from CP.
If any mux A channels can be received, then they can all be received.

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Can you not use Virgin 1 + 1 on channel 35. This is on Multiplex D.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html

Last edited:

bobbaty

Standard Member
This cannot be a reception issue in that case, provided Virgin 1 is on Mux A from CP.
If any mux A channels can be received, then they can all be received.
Yes, that is the theory, but I can cofirm on a friends year or two old Panasonic IDTV there is a specific Virgin 1 problem but other channels on that mux are OK.

Does anyone know the technical reasons for the loss of channels? I have got everything working in my house which includes Sony, Humax, Bush, Panasonic and cheapo small TVs etc. but my friend about 8 miles further away from CP is now showing reduced signal strength. Have there been any 16 QAM to 64 QAm changes etc?

Another friends Sony IDTV also about two years old is in a real mess.

Last edited:

pinnocchio

Just to let you know I'm getting V1 perfect right now, they're showing Hackers and in the scene where the guy is getting off on having a 28.8k modem (those were the days!!).

However at 2pm this afternoon I was getting signal lock but a blank screen, looked like a dead air transmit rather then no lock picture (you'll know the difference).

pinnocchio

Before I go off to get some chores done I thought I'd check again.....

So at the moment ITV3 and Smash Hits radio (the only other two stations transmitting on that Mux at the moment) are coming in fine, some rubbish JML teleshopping halogen oven on ITV3 and normal Radio on smash hits.

V1 is nada again, so this seems unlikely to be a Mux or borderline signal strength issue, V1 are doing (or someone is doing to them) something weird at certain times of day.

ploder

Novice Member
Can you not use Virgin 1 + 1 on channel 35. This is on Multiplex D.
I don't really have time to watch after 6pm and the programs are really not so essential as I'd bother with recording. I just happen to watch at around 10am because that is when I do my morning exercises. I just don't see any excuse for poor signal quality in this day and age.

You need to boost your aerial signal a tad, to keep the signal level for that Mux safely above that threshold.
How could I do this?

V1 is nada again, so this seems unlikely to be a Mux or borderline signal strength issue, V1 are doing (or someone is doing to them) something weird at certain times of day.
It seems that way to me too. I have checked Virgin 1 at a later time of the day (3 ish) and it can have high signal quality. It just happens that around 10am there is always a low signal quality for some reason (KT4 - Crystal Palace Trans). Fiver always seems to be good quality around 6 ish, which is when the fairer sex in my household watch their soap operas :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom