Violence against women and girls

BigA1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Baroness Jenny Jones has suggested that men should have a 6PM curfew in response to the abduction and murder of Sarah Everard in London last week.

Screenshot_20210312-124808_Chrome.jpg

I think I'm stating the obvious when I suggest that this "peer" is clearly platforming for women's safety, but the debate and storm that has been whipped up by this case I do find troubling.

I agree that everyone should be safe to walk the streets but this is a one off, terrible, tragic incident that while the MET police have serious questions to answer, no one else could have forseen.

I know she is now saying that it was toung in cheek and she has gained the reaction she was after but I don't see this as a helpful way of addressing the real issues of women not feeling or being safe.

Women need to be empowered and enabled to do whatever fudge they want by robust management of these filthy deviants. I won't get into the debate of how you manage them other than to say what we do now, isn't enough.

We have to do more to make everyone safe, our society should not tolerate this or any other antisocial behaviours and the authorities need to be empowered, resourced and supported to do whatever is necessary for us all to live safely.

Baroness Jenny Jones has suggested that men should have a 6PM curfew in response to the abduction and murder of Sarah Everard in London last week.

View attachment 1475117

I think I'm stating the obvious when I suggest that this "peer" is clearly platforming for women's safety, but the debate and storm that has been whipped up by this case I do find troubling.

I agree that everyone should be safe to walk the streets but this is a one off, terrible, tragic incident that while the MET police have serious questions to answer, no one else could have forseen.

I know she is now saying that it was toung in cheek and she has gained the reaction she was after but I don't see this as a helpful way of addressing the real issues of women not feeling or being safe.

Women need to be empowered and enabled to do whatever fudge they want by robust management of these filthy deviants. I won't get into the debate of how you manage them other than to say what we do now, isn't enough.

We have to do more to make everyone safe, our society should not tolerate this or any other antisocial behaviours and the authorities need to be empowered, resourced and supported to do whatever is necessary for us all to live safely.
Can't argue with anything that makes Women feel safer. Used to visit that area some years ago and would not have felt safe walking around there after dark. Even the Tube Stations around there aren't particularly safe at night. We all must take precautions to stay safe.

A completely preposterous idea that has no basis in reality. I thought it was a joke when I'd heard someone had said it.

Obviously not the way to deal with the situation.

Also bandwagons galore now about not being able to trust men, or even worse the police anymore. It's a tragedy of course, but we really do need to stop going nuts when incidents like this take place. As when we're nuts we can't have a rational conversation about it.

The main thing to say is that the latest killing of Sarah Everard is abhorrent and distressing, and we should keep working on new ways to make women (everyone in fact) safer. That should be an ongoing project anyway, regardless of the political zeitgeist.

Taking away men's freedoms isn't the way forward though and I don't think the Peer's suggestion is likely to get the slightest traction. Even if it were implemented, it opens up a new can of worms:

• What if a predator breaks curfew and attacks someone, and there are no men around to come to a woman's aid?
  • What if my girlfriend wanted me to walk her home, and I couldn't.
  • What about the risk to children, if there are no men available to pick them up after soccer practice etc. It could be a bonanza for all kind of predators.
  • Would the curfew apply to trans men? If not why not.
  • Same for trans women. Aren't they equally dangerous in terms of strength advantage?
  • What about gay men trapped in abusive relationships, now forced to stay indoors without means of escape?
And that's just some practical arguments I can think of. Ideologically this is a very dangerous idea once we start down the road of limiting freedoms for any group that is considered collectively responsible for any crime. Let alone half the population.

Already I'm seeing the usual glut of idiotic, dangerous misandrist crap appearing on social media. "Don't teach women to be careful, teach men not to kill". That kind of thinking will put women in danger. Its a dangerous world and we all need to take sensible precautions. Also 'men' aren't to blame. Psychopathic criminals are. I doubt those are the sort of individuals that would obey some silly curfew.

The main thing to say is that the latest killing of Sarah Everard is abhorrent and distressing, and we should keep working on new ways to make women (everyone in fact) safer. That should be an ongoing project anyway, regardless of the political zeitgeist.

Taking away men's freedoms isn't the way forward though and I don't think the Peer's suggestion is likely to get the slightest traction. Even if it were implemented, it opens up a new can of worms:

• What if a predator breaks curfew and attacks someone, and there are no men around to come to a woman's aid?
  • What if my girlfriend wanted me to walk her home, and I couldn't.
  • What about the risk to children, if there are no men available to pick them up after soccer practice etc. It could be a bonanza for all kind of predators.
  • Would the curfew apply to trans men? If not why not.
  • Same for trans women. Aren't they equally dangerous in terms of strength advantage?
  • What about gay men trapped in abusive relationships, now forced to stay indoors without means of escape?
And that's just some practical arguments I can think of. Ideologically this is a very dangerous idea once we start down the road of limiting freedoms for any group that is considered collectively responsible for any crime. Let alone half the population.

Already I'm seeing the usual glut of idiotic, dangerous misandrist crap appearing on social media. "Don't teach women to be careful, teach men not to kill". That kind of thinking will put women in danger. Its a dangerous world and we all need to take sensible precautions. Also 'men' aren't to blame. Psychopathic criminals are. I doubt those are the sort of individuals that would obey some silly curfew.

The curfew is just a band-aid idea designed to appease. Short term fix at best, would do nothing to solve the problem.

You always have to be careful using the word hysteria, but I'm afraid it has gone a little that way out there. And that's not me calling women hysterical, before this post gets a flood of reports :laugh:

Perspective is already getting lost though; I think we might already have passed the point of no return about having constructive conversations around issues in this country. I've said many times before we seem to just be turning into the US. Which involves losing the plot rather quickly on things.

That this was suggested in the House of Lords, and not some random throwaway remark, is utterly ridiculous. Utterly shameful man hating rhetoric.

I'm pretty sure that half the voters would be fairly unhappy with the proposition and it is painting all men very a very broad and nasty brush based on the actions of a tiny, tiny, miniscule subset.

Perhaps first do something about the utterly absurdity that Sharia law is being practiced in this country before locking up all men for just being the 'wrong' gender.

There are an awful lot of cultures in the UK that seem to view women as less, to be clear even very few of those resort to hitting a women, let alone killing them, and less means women are childcare and housewives.

Education is key and endeavouring to eliminate the blue job vs pink job and little princess mentatility.

We are getting there but there are a worrying amount of die hard misogynists and imported religious and cultural norms that have footholds in this country.

I love the justification I saw on the news that 2 men died for every 1 woman, and therefore we need a these measures to protect women.

A family have had a precious daughter taken cruelly from them, and this idiot makes it a circus act, im speechless, its so sad people like this have a voice.

I love the justification I saw on the news that 2 men died for every 1 woman, and therefore we need a these measures to protect women.
Like you I find the argument illogical. You are most likely to be violently attacked and murdered if you are Young, Male and Black. So we should impose a 6:00 PM curfew on everyone who isn't Young Male and Black?

Last edited:
The man hating culture continues. Not that a 6pm curfew will ever come to pass mind, well maybe not for another 30 years.

So true, I will have go out earlier now. Don’t want to be fined and a life sentence for the same evening.

A completely preposterous idea that has no basis in reality. I thought it was a joke when I'd heard someone had said it.

Obviously not the way to deal with the situation.

Also bandwagons galore now about not being able to trust men, or even worse the police anymore. It's a tragedy of course, but we really do need to stop going nuts when incidents like this take place. As when we're nuts we can't have a rational conversation about it.

I think it was her attempt to highlight how ridiculous it is for women to face being followed by random men, cat called or sexually assaulted anytime they leave the house. Listen to what women have been saying in the past few days and you'll get the scale of the problem.

I think it was her attempt to highlight how ridiculous it is for women to face being followed by random men, cat called or sexually assaulted anytime they leave the house. Listen to what women have been saying in the past few days and you'll get the scale of the problem.
So what should a man do if he's walking faster than a woman in front of him? We are all random men to most women. Yet you put this in this same category as criminal acts against women. Like most men I'm sick of being viewed as having criminal intent, whenever I leave the house. If we did the same regarding Race, Religion or Sexual Orientation. Then it would be seen as a hate crime.

At the moment we all often cross the road to maintain social distancing, perhaps that is something we should adopt permanently.

I'm fully aware of the scale of the problem, but even making such a proposal is the stuff of the ridiculous.

Summed up my thoughts above. And the sad thing is give this a few weeks and it'll all start to fade away. Always does.

(Not for her family and friends of course).

At the moment we all often cross the road to maintain social distancing, perhaps that is something we should adopt permanently.
It isn't always possible to cross the road. Anyway why shouldn't any man be able to overtake and walk past a woman? So you cross the road any have exactly have the same problem. What should we do? Just keep on and on crossing the road. Something like the segregation that used to be forced on black People in the Southern States in the USA. Segregation of the sexes!

why shouldn't any man be able to overtake and walk past a woman
No reason at all, unless your presence is clearly making her uncomfortable.

I just read this story, and even in these times it is quite possibly the most stupid BS I have read.

And I have read some stupid BS.

No reason at all, unless your presence is clearly making her uncomfortable.
Hopefully it doesn't, yet again how would you know? If it's reached the stage where it's obvious it's already too late. So a man is walking along just going somewhere and a women doesn't like it. Why is he always at fault?

I never said he was at fault.

Lots of fear mongering by the media not helping things either.

Walking outside and constantly worrying about being attacked, or your child being abducted, is not healthy considering how rarely people are actually attacked.

I've always understood that men are at fault and women are faultless. Once that lesson is learnt life is so much easier when dealing with the 'other' sex.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom