Vinyl - Where am I going wrong?

T1berious

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone here can help me.

I recently got a turntable (Rega P6 + Exact Cart), I'd been wanting one for what felt like the last 25 years and finally made the jump.

While waiting for it to arrive I bought some Vinyl and also borrowed my Mum's record collection.

Now some of the stuff is in a bit of a state (40 years have taken there toll) but some aren't too bad.

However, On the brand new stuff, I've noticed that even if there's so much as a smudge the needle is skipping. I've watched a few setup videos and have an arm pressure weight gauge. All seems OK.

What am I missing? I just don't recall needles being so sensitive back in the day? Or even at my last demo (A few years back).

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

T1b

First of all clean the vinyl. What’s the tracking weight and type of gauge? Is the tt perfectly level? Use a long spirit level not a bubble.

I have the P6 (albeit with the Ania cart) and really like it.

Couple of things - what's it sitting on - and more importantly, is it level?

Because Regas are very rigid, they can be sensitive to vibrations (there's a big market in isolation platforms, for example - but if you go this path, the Ikea Aptitlig chopping board with sorbothane feet is very cheap and effective). I've fortunate that mine is on the Rega wall-shelf, so picks up nothing from floor vibrations and my walls are very dense.

If you're certain the platter is level (don't just rely on the plinth being level), are you sure the cartridges is properly aligned? Download the free Stephenson and Bearwald protractors from Vinyl Engine and use those to check the alignment - take care when you print them to make sure the 2 reference lines are exactly the right length.

You say the VTF is OK using scales, and I would assume you've set the anti-skate accordingly? You could try playing around with this to see if it makes a difference.

Once that's all done, can you borrow a records from a mate that you know plays well on their TT. or take a couple of your records to play on someone else's TT?

If your records are OK on their TT and/or their records are dodgy on your P6, then I'd take it back to the dealer you got it from (or, if you got it used and privately, take it to a local dealer) and ask them to check it over).

Currently it's on a Target Stand, So its on the floor, might look at wall mount.

I've taken a spirit level to it and its not level, I'm going to try raise the rear to get it level.

Alas, I don't know anyone with a TT nearby, the Vinyl I have is brand new so I'll try again.

I've got the Tracking guide that came with the turntable and it looks good using that as a gauge.

I’ve not got one yet but it’s a universally accepted truth that Regas love a wall bracket/shelf. There’s one for free in the classifieds if you can fetch it.
Totally level is very important and worth the effort. As is tracking weight (less than £10 for an electronic scale from Amazon, well worth it) and alignment. An alignment protractor from Vinyl Engine is free to print out (make sure to print at 100%) and isn’t as daunting as it seems. Just have good light and patience. All those together will most likely the solve the problem. It’ll be worth the effort.

I can only agree with what everyone else has said. Bad skipping like that has usually been due to too light a tracking force, in my experience. But having the leveling, geometry or anti-skate wrong can all make it happen. Your turntable/arm/cartridge combination should be capable of superbly secure tracking if set up right.

So you need to get it level first, and then get the cartridge alignment correct using a protractor. After that, set the tracking force and then the anti-skate.

What tracking force are you using? In my view the quoted ranges for cartridges are often unrealistic (with marketing people wanting it to sound like a cartridge will track lighter than the engineers suggest*). I've always found my various cartridges (on a P3) have performed best towards the heavier end of the range. So, when you're happy you have everything level and have the geometry right, I'd suggest starting at the mid-point of the range and then moving it a bit heavier.

A solid support is very important too. But if you're not moving around and causing disturbances, and not playing the music super loud, then I think that is the least likely culprit for your mis-tracking problem. Even on a poor support that does not resist or damp mechanical vibrations, it should still track well enough if there are no actual vibrations in the first place.

(*There's an oft-quoted suggestion that to decide on the recommended tracking force, cartridge makers ask their engineers and their marketing department and then split the difference)

The only thing to do is start from scratch, level the turntable, reset the balancing of the arm and counter weight, then cartridge protractor set up, if you are not sure if its set correctly double check and double check again.
Do you have a cartridge scale device [off flea bay really cheap]- set the cartridge too light and mistracking will happen, - you will have a guide from the cartridge manufacturer for a guide for the tracking force, remember its only a guide, start at what it recommends and test if not happy, slightly increase weight with the tonearm weight.
Unless you have a suspended wooden floor ......walking close to the turntable it shouldnt really be a problem.
Vinyl needs to be in relly good condition.
Clicks and pops are usually dust in the grooves, hmmm new vinyl can be an issue with crap still in the grooves.

My first question is what equipment are you using for the amp and speakers? I ask this because I once auditioned an RP1 with a pair of cheap powered speakers (£80 from Amazon) and I got a very unpleasant humming sound from the speakers and intermittent skipping during playback. I used a Sony LX-300USB with those speakers for over a year without any problems.

The more upmarket TTs don't like cheap speakers. It's almost as if they're affronted by them.

Sometimes I just wonder if some otherwise excellent turntables and/or cartridges are just too finicky to get the best out of of under common conditions.

Different turntable (technics SL1210M5G), different cartridge (Ortofon 2m bronze) and 1.5g tracking weight and never any problems with normally cut albums even when the level and bass gets occasionally cranked and the other sound system is switched on (resulting in a huge active studio sub within 2m of the turntable being on in addition to the other smaller sub on the other side of the room).

BTW, If you are listening to some DJ orientated 12" EPs that are cut loud with strong bass content, then sure - they can be an issue with low tracking force hifi cartridges and really only play well with a much heavier tracking weight DJ cartridge (I have alot of such EPs leftover from my DJing days) - I am guessing this isnt the case here?

Cheers for all the feedback, I can confirm that the front to rear level is now straight. I've got one of these.

61SjvO3FGeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've set the anti skate to just below 2 and the Tracking force is 2.00.

Just had another go and the skipping has gone on an album I played last night!

I just need to look at convincing the Mrs on a wall mounted TT Rack. She unfortunately is allergic to visible cables...

In answer to what kit I'm using asked earlier. It's the following:

Rega P6 + Exact
Rega Elex-R
Bluesound Node 2i
Chord Qutest DAC
B&W 603's

Last edited:
left to right was OK it was the front rear that was wayyyyyyyy off! I've ordered some new taller spikes to even it out but right now I had to remove the rear spikes to get it anywhere near level.

Also think an Isolation board will help. unfortunately I can't site it much further away from the speakers.

left to right was OK it was the front rear that was wayyyyyyyy off! I've ordered some new taller spikes to even it out but right now I had to remove the rear spikes to get it anywhere near level.

Also think an Isolation board will help. unfortunately I can't site it much further away from the speakers.

Do you need a surveyor for your floor ;) As mentioned a nice chopping board and sorbothane feet are a good solution.

LOL, yeah the last time we had work done (Bathrooms) the installer went through great lengths to create a flat floor, basically a false floor for the tiles to lay on.

The chopping board and sorbothane feet sounds like a good shout :thumbsup:

@T1berious , I’m the person offering the Target TT1 free for personal collection as I don’t have the box for it. I live between Stockport and Wilmslow, Cheshire.

These aren’t made any more and would give you 100% guarantee stability.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom