vinyl to pc

cuthbertson74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just been looking into getting all my old vinyl onto my laptop and cd, and had presumed the record player connected into the phono in at the back of the amp, and then from a phono out to the line in in the laptop.

But there doesn't seem to be a phono out connection at the back of the amp (sony 1080). I might be being dim here, but can i still do this...what output should i be looking to use...?

Cheers,
Iain

i thought it had to be amplified tho'?

i can give it a whirl tho'...

Iain

..although the problem there is the line out from the turntable is fixed, so only has the twin plugs at the end - whereas its a single 3.5mm jack that needs to go into the laptop....

Iain

Shouldn't have to be. I have line level audio out from my amp into my PC and it works fine.

Your amp doesn't have any line level audio outputs at all??

Originally posted by duklaprague
..although the problem there is the line out from the turntable is fixed, so only has the twin plugs at the end - whereas its a single 3.5mm jack that needs to go into the laptop....

Iain

You can buy a 2x phono into 3.5mm stereo jack adapter from Maplins for a few quid. I'm using two. One for input to the PC, one from my PC to my amp.

what should i be looking for in a line level audio output?

failing that, i'll give maplins a look for an adaptor.

cheers,
Iain

Originally posted by duklaprague

Iain

The output from a bog standard turntable is not sufficient to drive directly into your PC's sound card. Therefore you need one of the following:

1. Steinberg Clean Pro which comes with a moving magnet preamplifier, and a reasonably decent audio capture/editor. You plug your turntable into mm preamp and the preamp into your sound card.

2. a stereo preamplifier, which comes with line level outputs to connect to your PC with a suitable phono to jack plug adaptor. You plug the turntable into the preamp which then plugs into the soundcard.

3. a stereo integrated amplifier with a tape input/output. use the tape outputs to connect to your PC with a suitable phono to jack plug adaptor

i was just about to say i tried it with the tape output, and it seemed to work fine, so i'm glad you said that. i wasn't sure you could / should use the tape output (any more than you can use the tape input for phone in).

cheers,
Iain

Sorry for the bum-steer. I'd assumed that your turntable had a preamp built in. I use one of the two VCR outputs on my AV amp to conect to my PC, which is similar to you using your tape output.

Glad you got it sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom