Vinyl system help

hamzamian

Hi,

my sister has recently bought her first house and is keen to setup a vinyl hi-fi system in it. I've donated her a pair of KEF Q150 speakers to start with and she's keeping an option on taking my old KEF LS50s instead too (choice of which one might end up just being made on colour, the Q150 are white and silver the LS50 are black and copper).

She doesn't have anything else bought yet and second hand is fine so long as its from a reputable seller. She'd like to be able to use whatever she buys with her TV also (but isn't interested in surround sound or multi speaker setup). She has yet to buy a TV too so that can be bought to include certain features like a digital audio output if necessary. She'll probably want Netflix etc but won't be using Sky.

My initial thoughts were an Arcam SR250 (as it would be easy to hookup the TV) but this is probably out of budget to be honest. I know she's ok with spending up to about £500ish on an amp, less if possible (maybe the LS50s are not a good idea as an amp to drive them will likely cost more than this).

I have no idea on turn tables as I've never owned one but reading a little on here I was guessing at something like a Project Carbon Debut Carbon?

Of course if she's better off not taking my speakers and getting something else instead that is an option too.

ETA: She's also expressed in an interest in being able to control multi room audio and use voice control but doesn't want an Alexa listening to everything she says. I think these are very much nice to have features but if they can be included that would be good.

Any input gratefully received, thanks!

Last edited:

acgingersnaps

Hi. I have a friend who's just got one of these:

Bonkers value for money. 100wpc of A/B power, more physical and wireless connections than most people will ever need and, based on the fact that he's happily driving ATC SCM11's, I'd guess it will do for the LS50's too.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The other amp to look at is the Yamah RN803, again lots of connections, decent power, has a built in streamer and a basic room correction system plus sub management. The AS801 is a better amp and has digital in for the tv and may be a better bet if streaming is not important or can do this through the smart tv. Both have a phono stage to get her going.

As for turntable, I would add the Rega Planar 2 to the list.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

hamzamian

Great thanks for the suggestions both.

she loves the look of the Yamaha AS1200 (but way over budget) so maybe the RN803 or AS801 will be close enough.

That Denton does look amazing value too!

hamzamian

Iggy930

I have no idea on turn tables as I've never owned one but reading a little on here I was guessing at something like a Project Carbon Debut Carbon?

I have one of these and it is pretty decent I used it for about 5 years until upgraditis set in. I didn't regret buying it however it was a bit of a pain switching between 45's and 33's.

acgingersnaps

I have one of these and it is pretty decent I used it for about 5 years until upgraditis set in. I didn't regret buying it however it was a bit of a pain switching between 45's and 33's.
This almost perfectly describes my experience with the Debut Carbon.

burnssimon

I started with a Rega RP1 performance pack edition (which I still have, packed away).

Was a great, starter turntable and I've subsequently bought Rega kit on the back of my experience with it.

Hokusai Wave

Cannot fault my Rega Planar 1 Plus as a starter turntable.

daddy999

I’d look at the Yamaha 501, 701 hifi amps with Rega p1+ or P2, you can’t go wrong with a Rega turntable at any of their price points.

Personally, I have always kept the tv audio separate from my hifi, I now use a Sony sound bar and it’s perfectly good for watching tv and films, well for me it is.

Good luck

hamzamian

What’s difference between a Planar 1 and 2? Which would be a better choice between the REGA and the Project Carbon Debut? I really know nothing about these even after looking them up on the manufacture’s websites!

acgingersnaps

What’s difference between a Planar 1 and 2? Which would be a better choice between the REGA and the Project Carbon Debut? I really know nothing about these even after looking them up on the manufacture’s websites!
The differences are not huge. All are well regarded, upper end of entry level turntables. They're all of a quality where I imagine that whichever you went for, you'd end up thinking you made the right choice. If it's for occasional use, just go for whichever you can get the best deal on.

RugbyAl

Having had both a Rega and a Project turntable, one thing I would consider is resell value. Regas definitely hold their value better.

Hokusai Wave

The Planar 2 is slightly better constructed and has an adjustable tonearm which will probably make upgrading the cartridge easier in the future, both turntables use the same cartridge out the box.

I only needed an entry level turntable so went for the 1 plus which has a built in pre-amp compared to the 1, if you have a phono input on the amp then a pre amp isn't needed. I looked at several reviews as I was also considering a project, the majority of reviews I read rated both turntables well, but the Rega mostly rated slightly better, don't regret my choice.

hamzamian

Thanks for all the input. There's a reasonable price difference between the Planar 1 and 2 so I guess a Planar 1 is probably good enough for now?

I'm assuming that wouldn't be doing injustice to the suggested amplifiers above or the Q150s (or LS50s if she decides to take those)?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom