Quantcast

Vinyl static problem

Paulx10111

Novice Member
I have been using two Ikea metal cabinets for holding my record collection, but have now realised that they are the cause of all the static that arises every time I put a record on. I have a Dr vinyl cleaning machine and each record is in an anti static sleeve, so I can eliminate the static temporarily, but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on anyway to earth (if that's the correct term) the two cabinets, saving me forking out on some wooden cabinets.

Gray3

Not sure what it would do for your static problem Paul, but connecting your cabs to mains earth would be easy enough.

daytona600

Never heard of Dr Vinyl
Good vacuum RCM & Fluid & anti static inners like mofi / nagoaka will reduce or remove Static
record cabinet will have no effect on static on records

Paulx10111

Novice Member
Sorry Record Doctor vacuum not Dr vinyl & I use anti static sleeves (mofi) I can unseal a new record clean it with anti static cleaner, play it, place it in a mofi sleeve, then place it in the metal cabinet, pull it out the next day, play it and its riddled in crackles & pops, reclean it and its fine, Did some searching online, and the general consensus is do not store vinyl in metal cabinets, use wood, before purchasing new wooden cabinets I thought I would ask the very knowledgeable people on here if they had any suggestions on reducing the static from the metal cabinets which ARE having an effect on vinyl records.

daytona600

Metal , glass , wood cabinets makes no difference to static on records
used Mofi sleeves for 30years & records are static free for decades
what cleaning solution are you using
what brush are you using
do you use a felt mat on turntable

Paulx10111

Novice Member
I use a cork mat, I knock up my own solution 80% distilled water 20% isoprol (99.9%min) and a few drops of Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent 2x Tonar wetgoat (one for wet- the other dry, vinyl kleen carbon fibre brush & the harder bristle brush that came with the record doctor for any secondhand vinyl I pick up that maybe a little more grubby. every Record is in a mofi anti static sleeve. I bought Seed Ensemble - Driftglass yesterday sealed, cleaned it before playing, played it 3 times through the whole of yesterday no crack & pops put it in the cabinet late last night, just put it on and it crackles straight away, recleaned and its fine. It can only be the metal cabinets

DT79

I use a cork mat, I knock up my own solution 80% distilled water 20% isoprol (99.9%min) and a few drops of Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent 2x Tonar wetgoat (one for wet- the other dry, vinyl kleen carbon fibre brush & the harder bristle brush that came with the record doctor for any secondhand vinyl I pick up that maybe a little more grubby. every Record is in a mofi anti static sleeve. I bought Seed Ensemble - Driftglass yesterday sealed, cleaned it before playing, played it 3 times through the whole of yesterday no crack & pops put it in the cabinet late last night, just put it on and it crackles straight away, recleaned and its fine. It can only be the metal cabinets
Have you double checked the earthing of your turntable? I accidentally knocked the grounding switch on my phono preamp a couple of months back and my static issues went insane.

daytona600

Home made cleaning fluids are like home made beer , get a branded anti-static record cleaning solution - mobile fidelity , l art du son , disc doctor & these are also l alcohol free
& they will cost almost the same
Alcohol attacks the softeners used in vinyl records

Check TT is grounded , or try a anti static carbon/mix platter mat or ground via ESD plug into the wall socket

Use a Dry record brush with a grounding/earth cord
What are you standing on carpets with synthethic fibres can cause static compared to wood floors

Most carbon fibre brushes actually charge up the vinyl record creating more static
try a anti-static dry record brush - goats hair / thunderon are ideal for dry cleaning

Zerostat anti static gun can reduce charge/static on your records
Air Con / very dry air can promote static , humidifier or plants can work

Use metal racks as wood could not take the weight of 30,000 records & no static on my records.

Last edited:

Paulx10111

Novice Member
I have a few bottles of dynavox record cleaner fluid as well, but it still doesn't explain why the records in the wooden racks on the other wall do not suffer this problem, same room, same carpet same tt, same cleaning fluids? oh well I have ordered new wooden units now arriving fri, I was saving for new speakers but they will have to wait.

daddy999

Get a Milty zerostat, a new anti static brush every now and then and store in mofi anti static sleeved liners. That’s all I’ve ever needed.

Paulx10111

Novice Member
I can clean the records, I can remove the static with what I already have, but my problem is that when they are put, clean & static less in to the metal cabinet they somehow attract an amount of static,(a fact). and I don't know why. but the records put into the wooden cabinet suffer virtually no static and need no more than a quick wipe with a carbon brush

Paulx10111

Novice Member
an article by Steven Williams a discogs employee & DJ with assistance from Harrison Behl of the library of congress and reference.
In the what to store records in section
"To reduce static opt for wood vinyl record storage containers instead of metal"
obviously they must have suffered a similar problem to my own to come up with that statement.