Vinyl speaker set up

Shadow1

Novice Member
I am looking to get some sort of nice speaker set up together for my vinyl hobby. Iv got a project debut carbon as my player and i already bought a preamp also, i ended up getting a cambridge audio phono preamp(azur 551p) to make my amp work better but my amp has just decided to take a crap as of last night. I dont really listen in that big of a room just like 15 feet by 15, and i listen to rock music like a7x, disturbed, volbeat, ac/dc, foreigner, the beatles. Now id rather not spend to much either but i wanna get the best possible experience for hopefully no more then $4-500. I sadly dont kno enough about this stuff and i dont wanna waste my time/money so im asking you guys and your forum for some greatly appreciated help and knowledge :D

Shadow1

Novice Member
In the long run id like to get both but I was just using it cause it was all i had laying around really, and it didnt sound to bad, also its not like i need this whole setup over night. I would prefer to get some of it soon as possible tho so i can listen my music again xP dieing with out it, Id be willing to just get the more important part first so i could get some more money nd buy whatever else would b nice to add on later on if thats possible

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to get you to give us a list of equipment you need from this budget.

Failing that, some sense of a plan for upgrading. Do you want amp first or speakers first, or both now and other equipment later? It is hard to advise when we don't know what it is we are advising you on.

I think you can do a pretty fair job with new equipment.

A good stand by would the the 80w/ch Yamaha AS500 combined with either Wharfedale Diamone 122 or the Monitor Audio BX2 depending on the sound you like. Either combination is going to come to less than £500.

The Wharfedale Diamond 122 and the Monitor Audio are larger than average bookshelf speaker both with pretty deep bass. At least down to 40hz. Both speakers have 6.5" bass drivers. The Monitor Audio might be a bit crisper in their presentation, but they also have slightly deeper bass.

Checking quickly these are the prices I came up with -

£240/ea = Yamaha AS500, 80w/ch, Sub out, PHONO in...

£238/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 122
£250/pr = Monitor Audio BX2

Keep in mind, bookshelf speakers will need stands. Though that need not cost a fortune. Certainly under £100/pr.

Atacama Nexus-i Speaker Stands (Pair) - Superfi

Norstone Stylum 1 Speaker Stands (Pair) - Superfi

That should at least give you a general idea of what is possible.

Steve/bluewizard

Shadow1

Novice Member
Well that sounds like a pretty decent set up, i think id be interested in trying it out but i cant find that yamaha thing for less then 400 x.x im not exactly sure were u did, if u called a local store or wat but iv only seen $400 online so far..

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Are you sure you are not looking at the Yamaha RN500? The RN500 is a Receiver that has Network Streaming and in internal DAC. These run about £400 to £450. Very nice amp if you need the Streaming features and the Internal DAC (digital to analog converter).

Here is the Yamaha RN500 Receiver with 80w/ch, DAC, PHONO. Streaming . etc...

Yamaha RN500 Networked Receiver - Superfi

This is the Yamaha AS500 Integrated Amp with 85w/ch, Phono, Sub Out, but none of the additional digital features of the RN500 -

Yamaha AS500 Amplifier - Superfi

And for reference, though there are many places that have these product, here are the speakers -

Wharfedale Diamond 122 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Steve/bluewizard

Shadow1

Novice Member
Ohhh i was x.x thanks haha this really sounds guud to me! I really appreciate the help steve.. Youv made this so much more simple, i didnt want to go out and blow my money on something i wouldnt enjoy and i feel this will be just perfect i really really appreciate your assistance and time you took out just for me to help thank a million :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom