Vinyl sales set to soon overtake CD sales

crazychris12

Standard Member
From Absolute Radio online.

Revenue from vinyl record sales is set to overtake CDs for the first time since 1987, the British Phonographic Industry has announced.

Thanks to strong sales of albums including AC/DC’s ‘Power Up’, Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Rumours’ and Queen’s ‘Greatest Hits’, vinyl revenues rose by a huge 30.5% in 2020 generating £86.5 million in revenue.

Campaigns such as LoveRecordStores, Record Store Day, National Album Day and HMV Vinyl Week all helped vinyl sales, while rising direct to consumer (D2C) sales of physical products also gave the format a boost.

In contrast, sales of compact discs fell by 18.5%, however the format still generated £115 million in revenue last year.

If sales of both vinyl and CDs continue at the current trajectory, the British Phonographic Industry predicts that vinyl will be the dominant physical format revenue-wise in 2021.

Geoff Taylor, Chief Executive BPI, BRIT Awards & Mercury Prize, said: “Vinyl’s exceptional performance despite retail lockdowns confirms its role as a long-term complement to music streaming. 2021 is likely to be the year in which revenues from LPs overtake those from CDs for the first time in well over three decades – since 1987.

D

Deleted member 898082

The words being "revenue" so I take it on units, CD Sales are still higher?

Sir Hilary Bray

Standard Member
Ah I'd love to start collecting vinyl, but I already have so many pricey hobbies (mostly video game collecting).

Perhaps somewhere down the line I'll get a nice record player, and just collect the albums I really love.

Pant Hooting Chimp

Standard Member
I've always loved vinyl (I grew up with it) but there's no way on earth I could start collecting vinyl these days. Compared to CD's it's often more than double the price so for me it's way beyond what I can afford. I still love CD's and buy all my main favourite artists' new albums on CD and the rest I listen to others on Spotify, its cool. I'm amazed at how popular vinyl has become again, considering how much it costs to buy. I still have several hundred vinyl albums and singles from the 1970's to the 1990's that I still treasure a lot. :)

D

Deleted member 898082

I've always loved vinyl (I grew up with it) but there's no way on earth I could start collecting vinyl these days. Compared to CD's it's often more than double the price so for me it's way beyond what I can afford. I still love CD's and buy all my main favourite artists' new albums on CD and the rest I listen to others on Spotify, its cool. I'm amazed at how popular vinyl has become again, considering how much it costs to buy. I still have several hundred vinyl albums and singles from the 1970's to the 1990's that I still treasure a lot. :)
There are still bargains to be had if you buy used. I will only ever buy new Vinyl if it is at a reasonable price and personally won't spend over £16 for a new Vinyl LP. So beyond a few bargains at HMV, Amazon and Juno, I refuse to buy new Vinyl.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom