Vinyl rips on CD

HD lover

Established Member
Reaction score
What's been the worst sounding CD you've bought? Mine was Cherry Red's edition of the 1977 Fox album 'Blue Hotel'. This was just an LP (and a poor quality one at that) put flat onto CD. There was no attempt to disguise it and, of course, no mention of it on the packaging. The worst thing was that CR had put out excellent versions of the first 2 Fox albums the year before, so what happened here? I just wondered if anyone else had been similarly 'stung' and what the albums are so I don't make the mistake of getting those too!

someone else recently mentioned cherry red using records as masters for cds

bootlegs aside (as i've heard some truely unlistenable ones), there was a psychedelic rarities compilation i got once that i took back as it was so bad, mastered from records that must have had a mixture of cornflakes and rice crispies smashed into it first, played on a binotone with a cover over it and recorded to a mono tape recorder from the 70s and pressed to cd by helen keller

Why would a record company use vinyl rips for CD's? Why should they sound bad if they do!? :confused:

I use vinyl rips all the time, in fact I prefer them over CD rips. As long as the rip is done properly they sound fantastic.

If I can do it, I'm sure Cherry Red can.

It's more likely that the original master tape, or the master they are using is rubbish.

Which, whether it's Cherry Red or other companies, has been known to be the case.

To overkill;

The Fox CD certainly wasn't done 'right'! The only thing the record doesn't do is skip! I disagree that it's acceptable to use vinyl rips on CDs, especially with no mention of it on the packaging, but admit I have heard many better attempts than the Fox CD, which has received many bad reviews slamming it's quality. Cherry Red have put out many excellent quality CDs, but the fact they aren't averse to using vinyl rips worries me should this become common place and something the consumer only discovers when he or she purchases the album...

To unique;

Thank God these things are few and far between (at the moment!)

To overkill;

The Fox CD certainly wasn't done 'right'! The only thing the record doesn't do is skip! I disagree that it's acceptable to use vinyl rips on CDs, especially with no mention of it on the packaging, but admit I have heard many better attempts than the Fox CD, which has received many bad reviews slamming it's quality. Cherry Red have put out many excellent quality CDs, but the fact they aren't averse to using vinyl rips worries me should this become common place and something the consumer only discovers when he or she purchases the album...
As Mattclarkie pointed out, it's highly unlikely to be a vinyl rip.

There are plenty of recordings out there that sound dire, full of pops and clicks, and fading in and out. These are NOT 'vinyl rips'.

I never said using vinyl rips for commercial releases was acceptable. Nor do I think recording off digital media (which I do know has been done) rather than a master tape is acceptable.

What I said was the vinyl rips I (and others) use are excellent quality, and I would recommend them to anyone, and that I use them in preference to CD rips.

The most likely reason for the problem here is, is that someone has just recorded discs straight from the master with no mixing or editing done at all.

Something that, in itself is shameful, as it takes very little time using modern software.

One question? Why go to the bother of ripping an LP, which takes time (it can only be done in 'real time') and you need to be able to record it to a mixing suite anyway, and not bother to edit it? Again, as I say , it doesn't take long. Nor would you know, if it's done properly, that it is a vinyl rip.

All quality vinyl rips are done to 24/96 (or higher) standard or Redbook for CD burning.

As I say, you wouldn't know.

All I can say is just listen to this album if you can. I take your point about poor quality master tapes. Lord knows I've bought enough sub-standard CDs over the last 25 years and I think I'd notice the difference between the two. But if this Fox album isn't somehow lifted from a vinyl LP I'll eat my hat and yours too!

All I can say is just listen to this album if you can. I take your point about poor quality master tapes. Lord knows I've bought enough sub-standard CDs over the last 25 years and I think I'd notice the difference between the two. But if this Fox album isn't somehow lifted from a vinyl LP I'll eat my hat and yours too!
Not saying you're wrong, just it's very unlikely.

I have some CD's (and LP's - in pristine condition, everything is cleaned on a VPI) that sound dire, with fade out, crackle, popping, distortion, but none of that is because of the fact it's recorded from Vinyl.

It's simply because the mastering was so dire, as was the source tape.

What's been the worst sounding CD you've bought? Mine was Cherry Red's edition of the 1977 Fox album 'Blue Hotel'. This was just an LP (and a poor quality one at that) put flat onto CD. There was no attempt to disguise it and, of course, no mention of it on the packaging. The worst thing was that CR had put out excellent versions of the first 2 Fox albums the year before, so what happened here? I just wondered if anyone else had been similarly 'stung' and what the albums are so I don't make the mistake of getting those too!

Cherry Red have picked up a bad rep on a few releases, the 80's act Belouis Some's debut was ripped from shoddy vinyl, they stated that there wasn't a master to work from & there was no CD release, well there was a Japan release CD!.

Cherry Red have put out some great titles, including many that no-one else can be bothered with, but they have no qualms about using vinyl rips if need be. When I received the aforementioned Fox CD in 2006, I was so outraged I emailed my thoughts to them and asked why this had been allowed to happen. I got a terse reply that said that 'out of all the copies sold, very few people had complained'. Obviously he hadn't taken a gander at the reviews on Amazon! He then blamed the results on Kenny Young, the band's founder member, saying that he'd personally approved of the 'master'! The weird thing about the Fox CD is that there are barely any credits on it, and who mastered it isn't named. The reverse of the other 2 Fox CDs put out by Cherry Red. And the worst thing is the goddamn thing is STILL in production!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom