1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alpha10, Apr 1, 2004.

1. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi,

I had been thinking about getting a CD recorder for archiving some of my old vinyl! However the thought struck me that I may kill two birds with one stone and buy a DVD recorder, IF I can copy my vinyl successfully onto a DVD disc?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Yes you can.

Also as the audio bitrate stays the same, you could put up to 6 hours on a DVD/RAM.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Maybe true, but its not all you need to know. I wouldn't do it.

Yes you can record audio, but the DVD standard means this will be compressed Dolby Digital 2.0, and a CD recorder would do a much better job.
    Some DVD players do allow you to record PCM audio instead, but not all, and usuall its only available in XP mode where you can only get 1 hour on the disc anyway.

For the record, I've owned a Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorded for several years and it's a great piece of kit.
    You can now get its successor, the PDR-609 which has a better analogue to digital converter and other improvements, from Richer Sounds for about £150.

4. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thanks for the replies, still quite confused really.... :confused:

I've been looking at the Panny E55, any opinions on this machine for copying music??

Cheers