Vinyl advice

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a new Project turntable to start listening to some of my old vinyl again.

I am reasonably happy with the sound so far, but there is a lot of 'crackles' on many of my old records. These have been stored carefully, and are not scratched. I dusted them down using a normal record cleane, but this made little difference.

Would any of the 'anti-static' solutions maek any difference, for example:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1092

Your problem is dust/dirt deep in the record grooves. An anti-static gun is a good idea for ongoing record care but probably won't help much in getting that muck out. A better solution is professional record cleaning.

Here are some links to companies providing a service.

Keith Monks cleaning service

http://www.cjs.co.uk/cleaning.htm

...and here's general cleaning info
Guide to cleaning vinyl

Project TTs start at £150 and go to £1000. You didn't say which you have or what cartridge you're using, but if the TT came with a factory fitted cartridge it might be worth looking at a replacement with a softer top end. You'll lose a fraction of the high-end sparkle but surface noise could be reduced.

Regards

Thanks. I might try the record cleaning service.

Is the anti static gun likely to be the best solution for ongoing care, or is a cloth/solution based method better?

I just have the most basic Project TT - Debut III

I would focus on the cleaning. Some cartridges will emphasise noise, normally speaking, the better (and more expensive) ones will not. If the record is damaged there is not a great deal you can do.

I would also double check the alignment and tracking as this can also give rise to unwanted noise.

daveb975 said:
Is the anti static gun likely to be the best solution for ongoing care, or is a cloth/solution based method better?
For ongoing record care I think the anti-static gun is only half an answer.

It's designed to reduce or eliminate static but it doesn't do anything about dust lying on the surface. For that you need something that will remove dust not just neutralise static.

I use anti-static record sleeves and a carbon fibre brush. It seems to work for me. I've never used cleaning cloths with or without solutions so can't really comment on them. Perhaps others here have more experience?

Regards

You could try the Knotsi record cleaner which removes static,but can gunk the cart up a bit,I use alcohol isaprol,distilled water,one drop fairly liquid,works well.

But I have found,better deck,arm,cart,phono stage really help,I have very few duff sounding records now.

Some of this is due to the miserable standard to which many UK pressings were made - recycled vinyl, poor care of the masters in the pressing plant and so on. And no amount of cleaning will clear it all up. Now Japanese pressings (of virgin vinyl) are a different matter.......

I second the Isopropyl Alcohol/Distilled Water (50/50) and one drop Fairy option. I use a soft broad paintbrush to wet the record, and play it while wet. Beware, however, that, if you leave the record to dry naturally after such a soaking, it will sound seriously cack on the next playing, unless you wet it again.

I found that as my system improved, I could buy more and more second hand records. During the last few years I used a record player, I bought no new records at all. I would clean them up and in 90% of the time, this was sufficient, unfortunately I cannot remember what or whose product I used.

Londondecca said:
I would focus on the cleaning. Some cartridges will emphasise noise, normally speaking, the better (and more expensive) ones will not. If the record is damaged there is not a great deal you can do.

I would also double check the alignment and tracking as this can also give rise to unwanted noise.

I think that this may be the problem. I bought a couple of new (sealed) vinyls yesterday, and they have the same problem.

I tried to set it up according the the Project instructions, but am not sire if I have done it absolutely correctly. I balanced the tonearm, but when I put the anti skating weight on, I found that the stylus kept 'floating' away from the record, so I adjusted the counterweight to compensate.

I have made no Azimuth adjustments either.

I was confused for quite a while on how the antiskating works. Seems now the best way is to nudge the tonearm from side to side gently and adjust till it slides along with equal ease both ways.

As for cleaning I use a carbon fibre cleaner. Also it has been pointed out to me that one of the best things to clean a record with is the stylus. It'll pick a fair bit of crap out of the record after repeated playings.

OK,set the dial on the counterweight to zero,adjust the counterweight until it floats or balances in the air,when it floats,add the cartridge weight,normally about 1.8-2.2 grms on the counterweight dial,then set up the antiskate,so that it draws the arm slowly towards the centre of the record.

If it still sounds dire,i'd suggest a better cart. :smashin:

I have got myself a carbon fibre brush, and an antistatic cloth, and have re set up the turntable.

The sound from some of my records is now excellent, although the crackling is still there.

On some of the records the treble sounds very 'splashy' as well.

It just seems so hit and miss. One sealed 12" which I bought yesterday sounds almost perfect on one side, but disolves into a crackly mess on the other. I have cleaned both sides with the carbon brush, and inspected for damage, and both look perfect.

Need to keep experimenting I guess! Is the best way to check the tracking with protators, such as the Hi Fi News ones?

I just can't get this right!

I have tried the same records on a mates Technics SL1210 decks, and they sound perfect.

He said there was hardly any set up involved at all!

Is it worth me trying to change the Pro-ject for one of these Technics decks?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom