Vintage Radio Repair

Deleted member 831638

Reaction score
I have a scruffy old Ferranti U1015 MW/LW Radio.

It doesn't work anymore after one of the old wax capacitors exploded. I need to replace 6 old capacitors... sounds simple right? maybe not and here is why.

I am not a vintage radio expert although I have plenty of experience in repairing other electronic things , repairing vintage radios is not my strong point. I'm having trouble locating the correct capacitor replacements to order. I've not been able to locate a service manual for this radio. A service manual would really help.

I have also got to think about the cost because these radios are generally not worth a great deal and my one is pretty scruffy plus I will need to make a new back for it and possibly replace or repair the torn fabric on the speaker grill so even after the repair its not going to be a top original restoration job. First thing I need to do is get it working before I do anything else with it.

There is a chance that the radio might not work after being re-capped. There could have been other damage to the set when the capacitor exploded. I don't mind chucking a tenner at it, 15 at a push but anymore than that I really don't think its worth it.

So what I need is a list of the six capacitors that I need to order.

It could make a nice looking radio for a 1940s setting. I know vintage radio are a thing in modern times but there doesn't seem to be any place to turn to for help.

Thanks I have come across this thread but it doesn't tell me what I need to know. The thread is also very old and the members are probably not there anymore.

Its really just a question of knowing what replacement caps to get provided they are not super rare components to find. I'll have to ask around on youtube vintage radio repair videos. If no joy I can always gut and rebuild another radio circuit inside of it.

I posted it as an example of what is available on that forum which I am sure if you join and ask you will be more likely to find someone to help as that forum is better orientated to what you require, this one is more about current kit.

I know this is pretty obvious, but do any of the surviving capacitors have any markings on them which an internet search may reveal their value?

Thanks I have come across this thread but it doesn't tell me what I need to know. The thread is also very old and the members are probably not there anymore.

Its really just a question of knowing what replacement caps to get provided they are not super rare components to find. I'll have to ask around on youtube vintage radio repair videos. If no joy I can always gut and rebuild another radio circuit inside of it.
You did not search enough... Apparently that Ferranti was identical to an ekko U332, for which that website has the schematics. The problem is that while any non electrolytic capacitor will serve, getting ones of an adequate voltage rating might be more difficult. The other problem is that valves ,which have not been switched on in years go "soft " .. air ingress through the glass envelope , means that they are no longer vacuums...and worse the oxygen can burn out the filiment ..

Can you not remove them (photo them in situ first) then post pics on here and on other vintage radio radio sites. sometimes you can estimate a value depending on type and size. Then using some cheap caps of approximate value try powering up the radio, as Daniel states the tubes may be not good anyway then you haven't lost much cash. Usually using a larger value and higher voltage rating will work to test.

Thanks everybody for your replies and advice I am aware its identical to the Ekko U332 but I had not found the schematics. I will have a better look for them. I'd rather not remove the capaitors from the radio at this point but I have removed all the gunk of them and made a note of what they are. I will ask around to try get the nearest replacements to them as possible. I did do a google search of them but it just showed a lot of random capacitors that were incorrect types and values. Its been on the back burner for now but I will get there in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom