Vintage based stereo system

WexSSB

Novice Member
Good afternoon!

my first post here, so if I broke any rule, pelase don’t hesitate to tell me.

I’m wondering to set up a second hifi system at home, now that I usually work at home and the home office place is set up.

Room is small, 3,5 meters long and 2,5 meters wide. Speakers will be in the rooms width.

music will be rock (70’s and 90’s, indie rock, progressive, death and postmetal, and to a lower degree, classic).

main source is the PC, either from CD or HiRes files.

My current doubts are:

speakers (main item); Wall mounted. I have second hand options for Q Acoustics 3010 or 3020, and KEF Q1. My main system consists of Q Acoustics Concept 40, so while I like their sound, perhaps a brand change to KEF is a good movement. Besides that, as it will be close to near field, Q1’s might be a good point.

Amp: my vintage freak goes towards a Marantz receiver, 2216, 2220. My pragmatic looks for a NAD 3020 or similar. Newer and aestheticaly worse. And cheaper. A 70’s receiver of a less hyped brand like Keenwood, Sansui, Pioneer, instead?

DAC/preAmp and phono Amp: I’m thinking in a Schiit Magni+Schiit Modi 3.

The turntable will come, but not immediately.

So, anyone has a suggestion on this combination? I guess NAD+3010 is the most balanced and less good looking.

Thanks for suggestions!!!

Nico72

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Can you give a rough idea of budget? Will the speakers be wall mounted at era height?
Among the speakers you suggest, I think the Kef has the advantage of being front ported, hence better suited to be wall mounted on paper. I would also consider Acoustic energy 101 and 301, which work well close to the rear wall.
If you like retro looks but modern functionality such as DAC, airplay and DLNA, the Yamaha receivers RN 602 and RN 803 are worth considering.
A final point is that if you are starting a near field listening system from scratch, the best value for money may be to go for active studio monitors, such as Tannoy Reveal 502, Focal Alpha 50, Adam A5x, which are all front ported.

dannnielll

Good afternoon!

my first post here, so if I broke any rule, pelase don’t hesitate to tell me.

I’m wondering to set up a second hifi system at home, now that I usually work at home and the home office place is set up.

Room is small, 3,5 meters long and 2,5 meters wide. Speakers will be in the rooms width.

music will be rock (70’s and 90’s, indie rock, progressive, death and postmetal, and to a lower degree, classic).

main source is the PC, either from CD or HiRes files.

My current doubts are:

speakers (main item); Wall mounted. I have second hand options for Q Acoustics 3010 or 3020, and KEF Q1. My main system consists of Q Acoustics Concept 40, so while I like their sound, perhaps a brand change to KEF is a good movement. Besides that, as it will be close to near field, Q1’s might be a good point.

Amp: my vintage freak goes towards a Marantz receiver, 2216, 2220. My pragmatic looks for a NAD 3020 or similar. Newer and aestheticaly worse. And cheaper. A 70’s receiver of a less hyped brand like Keenwood, Sansui, Pioneer, instead?

DAC/preAmp and phono Amp: I’m thinking in a Schiit Magni+Schiit Modi 3.

The turntable will come, but not immediately.

So, anyone has a suggestion on this combination? I guess NAD+3010 is the most balanced and less good looking.

Thanks for suggestions!!!
Before the others come in my suggestion is as always. A second hand quality AVR from any of the mainline people Marantz, Sony, Yamaha etc . Preferably from just before they installed HDMI . They invariably have a pretty good DAC ..say 192k 24 bit , oodles of power, when used as Stereo , since they can handle 5 or 7 channels. They usually have plenty of optical inputs ..but rarely USB. Top of range models are extremely low cost now, because they are unpopular for home cinema without HDMI. A usb to optical convertor for a pc sorts you out.. although many motherboards have optical output.. They also have excellent FM radios
And yes I have put my money where my mouth is

WexSSB

Novice Member
Thanks for reply!
Speakers will be wall mounted at around 1,80/2m heigth
Budget... speakers 100/200€ (2nd hand), amp in the same range unless I go to Marantz becases of... “fetiche” idea. And 70’s sound.
Didn’t find affirdable 2nd hand AE’s. Front port is the main pro of KEF, correct. And its midds.
I really look for retro sound. I will wire to pc, so don’t bother with wifi connection. In fact my main system is already a Yamaha RN-602 (+QAcoustics Concept 40)
I’m looking for a different concept of system. And ptobably not going the easy route of active speakers (or easiest active MusicCast speakers which might most sense).

Nico72

Have you ruled out ceiling speakers?
I’m thinking that putting a conventional speaker near the ceiling may not be the best either in terms of sound or looks.
There was no hi-fi in my house until the 90s so I don’t know much about the 70s sound I’m afraid. How would you describe it compared to your modern system?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d go for the Kefs. It’s useful to have a single point source for a close set of speakers.

I’d also forget about buying ancient stuff. It simply is not a patch on modern gear and likely to be worn out or to break much earlier.

One of these as an example:

And one of these.

The phono stage is built into the amp. And there’s no need for a preamp with an integrated.

If you’d like to spend more on a dac then this is about as good as it gets for a non silly budget (and includes a preamp)

Last edited:

WexSSB

Novice Member
Have you ruled out ceiling speakers?
I’m thinking that putting a conventional speaker near the ceiling may not be the best either in terms of sound or looks.
There was no hi-fi in my house until the 90s so I don’t know much about the 70s sound I’m afraid. How would you describe it compared to your modern system?
Yeah, ceiling have not been considered; Holes in the ceiling and a wife negotiation, is a low chance win. And I’m not sure it’ll like me.

I’m also a 90’s boy, grew with a 90’s Technics. Honestly wanted to check what a 70’s Marantz (warm, rounded) may differ with my modern Yamaha (clinic, metalic?).
But well, NAD C320 is an option (the british clean sound... ). Way cheaper too.

But I trust the production robustness of the 70’s than mass economy on 90’s/00’s.

It is a freakie perspective, I know. Specially with a PC as a source.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Yeah, ceiling have not been considered; Holes in the ceiling and a wife negotiation, is a low chance win. And I’m not sure it’ll like me.

I’m also a 90’s boy, grew with a 90’s Technics. Honestly wanted to check what a 70’s Marantz (warm, rounded) may differ with my modern Yamaha (clinic, metalic?).
But well, NAD C320 is an option (the british clean sound... ). Way cheaper too.

But I trust the production robustness of the 70’s than mass economy on 90’s/00’s.

It is a freakie perspective, I know. Specially with a PC as a source.

I think you’ll find that modern production facilities are miles ahead of any 70s ‘robustness’.

And, any 70s Marantz or similar that has been serviced properly will be way out of your budget, and those that haven’t, if they still work, are likely just waiting to breakdown.

And even if they might last a couple of years or more the bias will be all over the place, the caps at nothing like original spec and even the transistors will be all over the place by now, so what ever you end up hearing it won’t be a genuine 70s receiver sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom