Question Vintage 1983 Sony audio system

Darg

Novice Member
I re-discovered this when clearing out some things that had been in storage for the last 10 years. It belonged to my grandfather and made its way down to me at some point but was left behind when moving to the UK from Ireland. I finally had a chance to bring it back this Christmas and have been using the stereo receiver with my projector.

Sony STR-VX10L: Stereo receiver, amp and FM/AM tuner
Sony TC-FX25: Tape recorder
Sony PS-LX22: Record player

Photos here:
It sounds absolutely amazing and finding it is the reason I spent most of Christmas on these forums reading up on AV receivers and ended up just buying the Yamaha RX-V6A. I'm looking to sell these to offset some of the cost of that but really I have no idea how much to ask for them. I have the manuals for all of them though one was badly damaged by our cat. I'm going to post this up on the classified section but wanted to get an idea of what a fair price was.

I don't have any great expectations but a search on ebay seems to indicate quite a wide array of prices for each of the components, anywhere from £50 to £100 for ones in working order and another £20ish for the manuals themselves. That gives me quite a wide bracket of anywhere between £150 and £300 being a fair price for the set. Can anyone here suggest a what a reasonable price would be?

D

Deleted member 24354

The honest answer is whatever you can get for it. Vintage hifi is a fickle market. Some things still fetch good prices. I certainly wouldnt use ebay as a benchmark as a lot of the prices are just dreamers and wishful thinkers. For example on ebay, Technics Midi systems people ask £200 -£300, my friend picked a couple up from a local seller (pre covid) for £30. one was an Akai with its original speakers and the other was a Technics, both in full working order. The manuals are mostly available on line, there are quite a few manuals sites that pdf old manuals. You have to remember that things like belts wear and stretch with time, moving parts (the grease dries up) capacitors break down over time, solder joints become dry so what works today maybe a doorstop tomorrow. Best of luck with your sale.

Darg

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply, from what I have tested everything seems to be in good working order. I was checking completed/sold on ebay as opposed to what peoples asking prices were but there was still a wide variety of prices.

D

Deleted member 24354

Like I said its a fickle market and often down to what an individual is prepared to pay on the day. Its not like there are lots of people looking to buy old, middle of the road hifi. Certain things are still very sought after this for example
Marantz CD52 mkii Special Edition - Serviced, original Box, Manual & Remote | eBay

or certain Linn speakers still sell well. Old Rega Turntables, Pink Triangle Turntables, Linn Turntables, Certain Technics Turntables, Nakamichi Cassette Decks, there are lots of specific things that are still sought after that people will pay good money for. But there were a lot of plain silver boxes that were mediocre which in all honesty fetch a few 10's of pounds.

Darg

Novice Member
Ok, that seems reasonable. I'm going to throw it up for £100 and see if anyone wants it, mostly because it will just spend another 10 years gathering dust here and that would be a shame.

Darg

Novice Member
Thanks! That's a really useful site, shows the receiver and tape deck at about €50+ each and the record player as a bit more. I'd still be happy with £100 for the lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom