Vinson Range from dfs

steve12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just wondered if anyone had tried the Vinson range from dfs . Their 2 seater recliner looks worth a try. Also seen a review on youtube that was quite positive. Need to replace my sofa and never had a recliner so maybe worth having a look and seeing what am missing out on :)

Cheers
Steve

I wouldn't touch anything from DFS with someone elses bargepole.

They have a poor reputation, particularly for leather and their CS rep is just as bad.

Thanks for the reply Bob , It's a shame because it looks quite nice.

Might be better with sofaology unless dfs are going to degrade them.

Sofology are owned by DFS.

I bought a leather sofa from them as I liked the design and it was a good price, however it's in a room that only gets used if I have a lot of guests (this year there's been so much of that... 🤔 )

It's fine, and the leather is decent, however, there are a lot of complaints about the internals of their sofas and the cushions collapsing after not much use.
I wouldn't buy one for everyday use.

Avoid SCS as they've an even worse reputation than DFS!

so if we are avoiding SCS, DFS and Sofology, where else is everyone buying sofas from?

where would you buy a sofa from?

For leather, places that are more expensive but will sell you a decent quality sofa that's built properly such as John Lewis.

Or if you're looking for something inexpensive but decently made, that's not leather, Ikea is excellent with good customer service.

The worst sellers of sofas, IMO, are the ones that pop up in every city retail estate. Independents and the ones that only have a few sites around the country tend to offer better quality and better customer service. Unfortunately though, you have to pay for it.
DFS is fine if you're the type of person that likes remodelling their lounge every couple of years and buying new furniture.
If you want something to stand up to family life for a decade, you're going to have to pay more.

This one from John Lewis looks comfy

it's not a recliner though? isn't that what you were wanting?
also, there is almost zero side support, i'm not much of a fan of that type.

with regards to Jown Lewis, i'm not sure i would be holding them in as much high esteem as they once would have had.

lots of store closures and cost savings all over the place, and the first place to cut costs with is customer service. i recently contacted JL for support and they were generally quite poor. in the end i took my support issue direct to the manufacturers they were head and shoulders above JL in every aspect. the first JL agent i spoke to was UK based but was clearly just following a script and wasn't really listening to any replies i gave them. the second agent i spoke to clearly wasn't UK based and they came across as disinterested.

maybe a comment to late but recently purchased the 3 seater Vinson recliner with foot stool. All seems fine to me with no issues but time will tell, had to sell my 10 year old dfs 2 seater leather recliner before hand, again all top quality with zero issues in 10 years. I guess big sofa company’s selling large volumes will get more complaints than compliments. My only issue is the delivery charge which seems pretty steep when spending a decent lump.

maybe a comment to late but recently purchased the 3 seater Vinson recliner with foot stool. All seems fine to me with no issues but time will tell, had to sell my 10 year old dfs 2 seater leather recliner before hand, again all top quality with zero issues in 10 years. I guess big sofa company’s selling large volumes will get more complaints than compliments. My only issue is the delivery charge which seems pretty steep when spending a decent lump.
How much was the delivery charge?

Also, please feel free to post some pictures of the vinson, would be appreciated.

In the middle of having my cinema room re decorated, also pics may not look great as it’s gone from very dark grey to black.

I had been looking at the octane diesel seating but with very mixed reviews and not being able to see them in person i went for this.

delivery charge was £69 and although they do a great job with delivery it always feels like a gut punch when it’s added at the end. It’s a business at the end of the day but when the likes of next charge from £3.99 up to £8.00 for delivering 2 large sofas and 2 large bookshelves i think DFS are charging way over the odds. Sofa and footstool where around £1800 at the time of purchase.

sofa is 2 parts, as you look at it the left seat and middle seat are one unit with right side added on. Middle seat doesn’t recline but has a lined and slightly padded storage draw, Left and right seat have power headrests. There are a pair of Bluetooth speakers built into the sofa and 2 USB ports on controls. storage footstool has 2 pockets outside and again is padded inside.

I’ve not had chance to actually use the sofa yet, other than the token family 5 min test. My wife and daughter really like it and the material has a kind of suede/soft leather feel, but I think it’s actually fabric.

10B6435D-9AAF-44E3-8627-413EF3258F7C.jpeg
5DC3EDAB-9D7E-4321-8F7D-D790A6178314.jpeg
8A6665D1-CF42-40C1-8B2C-72D16A448EDA.jpeg
7675233C-7749-48BA-84ED-1860F221F223.jpeg
866BE544-B59C-4758-B591-11F9C30FBB3E.jpeg
EFE58B1F-6833-494C-9ACD-B8BBD9865E43.jpeg

Last edited:
I also liked the look of the DFS Vinson range and found this place based in Cornwall that do something similar..

I have yet to purchase anything but seriously looking at the 2 seater powered recliner with the centre console and usb charger for £800 and they do interest free so worth a look 😎👍🏻

Found a review of the Vinson here..

Also, you can also get a similar sofa to the DFS one from a place called Tech Sofa and its slightly cheaper...

Last edited:
I'm looking for similar but real leather and without the powered cup holders as I think they'd distract in dark viewing.
Best one I've seen (and sat on) was the Rocco 2 at Furniture Village. But I wasn't keen on the rocking action.

Attachments

• PRODZFRSP000000000038876_rocco_leather-2-seater-sofa_nc-035c-deep-red.jpeg
    PRODZFRSP000000000038876_rocco_leather-2-seater-sofa_nc-035c-deep-red.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 183
Went and sat in the DFS Eiger, it's recliner with power headrest and it was really nice. The vinson had the same issue that I had with the Octane in that when recline the lower back and rear seat just opened up and there was no support. Didn't like it.

Personally I wont be buying from Dodgy Furniture Shop again.

Bought a 3 and a 2 from them a few years ago and was sold the extra insurance. The frame somehow is now bent and the insurance covers this. It even covers pet damage.
A guy came out and said its not the frame its the internals thats bent.
I showed him where it was quite clearly the frame bent but it was having non of it.

It was only 2 and a half years old at this point and never really felt as comfortable as the one we sat on in store. Now its worse ! You sink into it and its hard to get up from it !

So we visited Furniture Village today and ordered the Link three seater. They are doing a full recline with power headrest for all three seats for us. We asked if they could and they said yeah but it will cost you. It’s costing a bit more at £1,795 but the center seat needs to recline in a cinema room really so more than happy to pay it. £390 up front and £43 a month over three years. 17 weeks delivery. I’ll report back in October lol.

It was the best we have tried except for a natuzzi recliner which was £4000. 😱

We're going for a two seater with middle armrest/cupholder/storage plus a single seat armchair. Going to try them it out in person again before committing but it was our fave of a lot we tried.

Personally I wont be buying from Dodgy Furniture Shop again.

Bought a 3 and a 2 from them a few years ago and was sold the extra insurance. The frame somehow is now bent and the insurance covers this. It even covers pet damage.
A guy came out and said its not the frame its the internals thats bent.
I showed him where it was quite clearly the frame bent but it was having non of it.

It was only 2 and a half years old at this point and never really felt as comfortable as the one we sat on in store. Now its worse ! You sink into it and its hard to get up from it !
Of course he was having none of it, it's literally his job to say 'no, that's not the frame' (or anything else that's covered).

Give them a pre-action letter and then start court proceedings against them.

In the meantime, I'll never buy from Furniture Village again, and I too will treat all those industrial estate massive crap 'on sale' chains the same. Any of them could have the perfect looking sofa for me, but I'm not buying.

I'd buy from John Lewis or M&S though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom