1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vincent / ShengYa SP991 Monoblocks ?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mailaht, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After I excluded the eVo 6 from my short-list of power amp upgrades for my AV32R's front channels, my favourite candidates were down to Audionet Amp II G2, Bryston 4B SST and TAG 250x3.

But then I came across the Vincent (= Sheng Ya ) SP991 monoblocks.
    (http://www.vincent-tac.de)
    These Chinese 30kg Class-A beauties are only £2000 for the pair :)

The specs appear very impressive, but before I get through the hassle of getting a pair for testing:
    Has anybody listened to them?
    Or heard anything about them?
    They are supposed to sound very 'warm', so I guess they are quite different from my present, rather analytic favourites, but are they worth considering?

There are some specs at the end of:
    http://www.vincent-tac.de/pdf/S_3SP_91.pdf

They obviously have lots of power and harmonic distortions of 0.06% @ 272W and 0.003% @ 85 Watt sound ok, but their damping factor is only 175/40 (100Hz/10kHz). Is that really enough to control speakers in difficult situations? Or do I overestimate the importance of the damping factor?

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sneaking seven grand's worth of amps past the little woman, Maillaht? Nice going!

3. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy New Year Edward!

Well, you know ... "No darling, this in an old amp I had in storage for ages" http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1371025#
    Big Grin
    Unfortunately, despite all the money laundering courses I got from my employers, it gets more and more difficult to launder money past my dear little accountant ... let alone getting nay more budget amendments signed. Sigh.
    Which is why I gave up the idea of my beloved Amp II max and may settle for the Vincents ... IF I manage to get some more info and hopefully a pair for testing. Would be interesting to find out how much power these Class-A heaters draw in idle. Manufacturer, distributors and delares avoided to answer this question so far.

Anyway, let me know when you are around for a beer http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1371025#
    Smilie

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The current draw at idle will depend on how far into Class A the amps are biassed,and if they have something like Krell's "anticipator" type circuit which steps the bias up and down to reduce standing current draw under low load conditions.

Assuming it doesnt have any of that,then you can also assume an efficiency of around 25% or less,and at 100W Class A,you'd be looking at a power draw of about 500W irrespective of load conditions at idle.

My KMA 100 Krells run at about 500-600W idling or at full tilt,being biassed fully into Class A at up to 100W.....hot in summer time,and you can really see the electricity meter ticking!

5. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Krells, they do suck the power!
    About the initial thread, I can really not tell anything about those amps listed.

But I did quite a lot of experimenting few years ago and found Mark Levinson and Accuphase amps the best (IMHO). Sweet, detailed and punchy, never harsh.
    Recently I found the same with Audionet.

But they all simply cost too much, it's only power amp...

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I remember with great fondness the great debate on class A amps with Glenn/Udo etc. I think the general feeling was that time has moved on and these great "classic" house warmers should be laid to rest. Personally I'd buy the 6BSST for the front trio and feel smug with all that cash you saved... Of course Plump's suggestions are also very nice. I also like the Audionet but seeing as I have a more than passable amp already I'll wait until something new comes along that actually gives a worthy jump in quality that I can afford (and that will almost certainly be some sort of switching amp if R&D on them is anything to go by..).

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Hi Graham....Happy New Yr...I do seem to remember a conversation something like this late last yr!

Seriously though,the Brystons really are good amps,but my house warmers will be staying for a while for Av duties(I've just finished building a set of 300B triode monoblocs for the stereo stuff instead).

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Alexs2.

Blimey I'm glad I'm not footing your electric bills....

I agree though as I said, if you already have something your quite happy with then it is just daft to change it just because something else comes along, playing "chase the technology" is for people with far to much time and money on their hands :laugh: As I said I'll be waiting for something radical to come along that actually works before I put my hand in my pocket once more, until then demo and test is my game...
    The choice of someone entering into the AMP market at this stage can be most confusing, a sensible person will buy a decent Bryston as they are quality amps, have a good resale price and that 20 year warrenty certianly helps when it is time to buy something new and fancy when advertising the old amp on "dodgybay"..... I also believe the 6BSST is quite a bit cheaper than the 250x3R which is also a good amp but can't complete on the Bryston on resale and warrenty (not to mention pro recommendations)... Mark Levinson and Audionet, well yes very nice but..... And just to get everyone going I think Krell are vastly overrated period...... :devil:

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As to the electricity bills,much of my recent listening's been done with a new pair of 300B triode amps,so the electricity bill isn't as bad as it could be,and the sound is beginning to be lovely(having taken some hours to run them in from new).

Price wise,things like Levinsons and Krells make sense when bought used(as my old monsters were of course),and I think you get what you pay for....bulletproof build and reliability,immense power and total insensitivity to the load,but it has to be said the depth and soundstagging can be compressed compared to a good valve amp....but then again....all that power for AV use :D

One of my all time favourites remains the Levinson 20.5,but it's another full Class A thing with power bills to match.....still umatched by most current amps in terms of bass delivery,at any price.

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I feel sorry for your 805's mate.....
    As for "you get what you pay for" well yes but I do hate paying that bit extra for the name when it isn't worth it, second hand makes it far more tempting but those Krell's certianly go loud but they ain't very progressive in their output as the sound changes massively depending on where you set the volume knob IMHO..... each to his own (wait for it) it is your money :D

As for bombproof build and reliability, why do you think we chuck PMC/Bryston in R1, they can and do kill just about anything.....

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Do like that comment about R1....I can relate to that :D

805s are currently on Av duties,and a set of Quad ESLs with the 300B monoblocs doing the rest currently....all 26W worth :devil: