VIMEO TURNS THE SCREW

stearman65

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a free account with Vimeo for 3 years & only used about 1/2 my allocation. I received an email earlier this week telling me they were lowering the free allocation amount & my account was now overflowing by a couple of GB. To reverse this I must take out a paid account or the overflow would be deleted.:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

I haven't received an email like that, but I only have a few short videos on Vimeo nowadays. A couple years ago I used Vimeo to embed a video on one of my websites and had all sorts of problems not long after signing up for a paid package.

I first discovered that it was dramatically slowing down page loading on my site, because they were making callouts to wretched 3rd party servers for analytics that I couldn't care less about. This affected page ranking and sales, so for that reason alone I wasn't too impressed and there was no way to switch it off.

Not long after they implemented some awful setup that was supposed to detect the user's bandwidth and supply an appropriate quality version, but in practice the forums were full of people screaming about only seeing lowest quality resolution for the first ten seconds, even on super fast 100mbps connections and it was a mess.

The whole experience left me a bit wary of 3rd party video options, so I started self hosting, but I appreciate it's not ideal for everybody.

I haven't received an email like that, but I only have a few short videos on Vimeo nowadays. A couple years ago I used Vimeo to embed a video on one of my websites and had all sorts of problems not long after signing up for a paid package.

I first discovered that it was dramatically slowing down page loading on my site, because they were making callouts to wretched 3rd party servers for analytics that I couldn't care less about. This affected page ranking and sales, so for that reason alone I wasn't too impressed and there was no way to switch it off.

Not long after they implemented some awful setup that was supposed to detect the user's bandwidth and supply an appropriate quality version, but in practice the forums were full of people screaming about only seeing lowest quality resolution for the first ten seconds, even on super fast 100mbps connections and it was a mess.

The whole experience left me a bit wary of 3rd party video options, so I started self hosting, but I appreciate it's not ideal for everybody.

Strange, never had that sort of problem, in fact I used to experience that on YouTube, but that seems much better now. Just checked my Mediafire free account which I haven't used since 2013 because they didn't have live streaming. Now they have may go back to it???

ashleyk, reads like you know How . . . any chance you could post some hints, or link to yr tutorials perhaps? Ideally on the Camcorder Forum, where many folks will be eager...Cheers.H

@12harry What part is it you think forum members would need help with specifically? To self-host you need your own website with FTP access to the server, then you upload MP4 videos which are accessed through a player, but all of this requires a degree of web design skills.

If you click on the link in my signature below you can see an example of a video that is self-hosted in this way and I built the site myself.

EDIT: Another advantage of self-hosting is that you can have a clean player design without branding, strange colours or unwanted links to other videos etc.

Last edited:
You don't always need web design skills if you have a CMS package with a nice easy to use extension. I do have the skills, but with my own sites am just too lazy so will simply upload to YT and embed. It also saves me bandwidth on my server, as I am a tight git.

That's fair enough if you are happy and able to use something like Wordpress within the limits of the theme. In my case I don't want adverts or links to other videos that will pull people away from my sites.

Multiple call outs to 3rd party services are really slowing down page loading and ad blockers are causing all sorts of issues, so I try to keep it all as clean as possible. Recently, I've seen Google fonts blocked by ad blockers and entire pages on Wix sites that appear completely blank.

I've seen that too. I re-built someone's Joomla theme to change the fonts away from Google for that very reason. However, Google adjusted their end and hopefully the ad-blocker should not interfere anymore, hopefully.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom