Question Vigor 2860

nick67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning

Need some help as my Vigor has stopped wireless connection

Any help much appreciated

It would be useful if you could elaborate on the symptoms a little and any diagnosis you have undertaken thus far.

For example, is this only affecting a single client or multiple, have you power cycled the vigor, is it localised to any particular time of day, what client devices(s) are you using, etc.

Also, if you tell us what your level of IT expertise is, it'll help respondents pitch their replies in appropriate language and level of detail.

The wireless was working around 5am, then about 8 it has stopped, I can access it via wireless powerlines

I tried updating the F/W but that did not help

I have tried rebooting both via the software and switching it off

Touch wood i think Ive sorted it by doing a factory reset
What a Right Royal PITA

Weird - but sometimes it happens. It might be worth making a diary note just in case it happens again (and again) thence you'll have some idea of trend as to how often it goes bad if it does so.

Please tell me you checked that it was turned on before resetting the router! There's a button/light on the front.

Yes it was turned on

still messing around with it

takes ages load certain websites, cannot access this site and others

Must know I’ve got a new TV arriving today!!!!

Try doing a site survey in the router. That should pick up surrounding WiFi services that you can tune to avoid, as long as they're using non-overlapping channels and there's not too many around.

What is the router's connection speed and what results do you get from SpeedTest.net or similar over WiFi? Do you know what the SNR value is (in Diagnostics > DSL Status)?

I'll be honest, I was getting really fed up with my connection crawling and/or dropping using the built-in modem that I've resorted to using an OpenReach branded one in to WAN2. I've not looked back! I too am on PlusNet.

Up load is 7754
Down load is 46582

SNR is 3

something is strangling it as I get to certain websites that takes a while then other time out

Well I might have cracked it

Looks like the latest Vigor Firmware screw things up

I have seen it on Draytek routers where the wireless disappears. Even from the menu in the router. Then when you reboot it comes back!

This is not helping! I really don't know why they set the threshold so low because 5 or 6db is much healthier. Any more than this doesn't offer any advantage at all. Imagine being in a night club and trying to have a conversation at the levels you would do at home. Not happening!

On the same page, you probably notice the CRC errors increasing in their hundreds. You might even notice the line dropping.

If you take the router back to 'known good' firmware and you don't notice this increasing, then there are different modem codes to try. You should find that your actual speed is only around 10% less from the connection speed. If it's significantly less, problems still exist. There might be mileage in reverting back to a firmware before the BT endorsed modem code was introduced for some circuits.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom