Vigatec Matrix DVD Player with VGA output

This is just an expensive way of buying the far east player the Skyworth 1050. Go onto AVS forum and you'll find a vast source of information there, in particular details of a faulty capacitor which has affected many owners.

I understand Vigatec claims to have tweaked their version...someone I know who has seen both could not discern any difference. I think www.hivizone.com still sell them if you're not afraid to import one yourself.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Indeed it's a Skyworth.

Those at Event 1 will remmebr the Skyworth was used for many dems in the fixed pixel room. I think Alan and Chris also played it against an Arcam FMJ27 inprogressive mode and that the Arcam was obviously superior.

In my time with it efore the event I found its de-interlacing to be good but the sound to be poor and the image to be soft and lacking saturation somewhat in comparison to the Arcam I had on hand...then again their was the matter of a difference in price of £1300!

Gordon

Thanks for the info. Got upto speed over on the AVS forum. It's amazing how much these Chinese players go for. One of them seems to be an unbadged Denon!!

Anyway, I'm sort of heading towards a PC solution with SDI connections for DVD and Sky+ to the Pioneer 433MXE.

amazing that such a big name would do a rebadge like that. I would have expected better.

ad

Vigatec are not a big name.....The market for scalers is miniscule. Look at Denon...they are a BIG name and all their units are Panasonics with a twist....Meridian (you know those guys in Cambridge that are cutting edge...) use Toshiba DVD rom transports.........

It's what you do with the bits.I've never seen a VIG MAX so can't comment...but I do think the Meridian might be better than the Tosh parts...

I don't really know why Vigatec tried the Skyworth tack. Waste of time to me. The VC1280 etc are great processors.

Anyway, late, tired, and feeling sick so off to bed...

Gordon

Er...actually Gordon I believe Meridian use DVS drives like we do and some of Denon's players are now based on ESS decoders rather than Panasonic platforms (sorry to nit pick but it's part of my job to know this stuff!).

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

Nit pick away John...Meridian came to me when we were both discussing "business oportunties". They were proud to explain that the 800 used a Tosh DVD rom at under £100 cost....

Perhaps I should have said most Denons use Panasonic derivative units. Well, DVD 1600, 3300, 2000, 2500

Anyway the bits aren't important. If VIG do some heavy mods the MAX may well be amazing. I've seen the Chris Stephens Modded Marquee 9500LC projector and it's astounding. Much better than a Madrigal MP9 based on same chassis and powered by Interpolator
(and I hope we all agree that Interpolator is rather good scaler)

Best bit though is that I believe your units offer great VFM!

Gordon

Ok, i didnt mean big like that, i really shouldnt have said big at all! I meant big as in an expensive kind of (high end?) type of company. Surely for the most part their products cost many thousands? It just seemed odd that they would then rebadge a machine costing only a couple of hundreds.

That said, if they have done a lot of modding as you say, then perhaps im being too harsh.

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom