Viewsonic VMP74 Wireless USB Dongle

PeteUK10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got a Viewsonic VMP74 Media Player and trying to setup wireless networking using a Dynamode WL-700N-MRT USB Dongle.
I bought the Dynamode dongle having read a post from Russell Cole of Viewsonic.
I can't get it to work - for two possible reasons. (or more?)
1. Russell recomends a dongle with the Ralink RT3070 chipset. I bought this dongle on Ebay which stated that it used the RT3070 chipset, but now find it actually uses a Realtek RTL8188SU chipset instead.
2. The VMP74 user manual states that to setup a wireless connection there is a "Network Wizard" option within the Main Setup Menu. I cannot find this option anywhere, so am unable to view available wireless networks or enter SSID details etc.

Not sure now whether to return the Dynamode dongle or what.

Anyone else seen this "Network Wizard" option in the VMP74 menus?

I have exactly the same problem as you.

I purchased a
GetNet GN-621U Wireless 802.11n USB Adapter

After searcing the internet and finding this as a device that supposedly would work, sadly it seems that it does not get recognised by the player.

I think that if the device is not recognised then the wired or wireless choice will not show.

This device was also supposed to have the ralink chipset but like you I find that when I plug the device into my PC it is recognised as realtek. Maybe the ralink element is at a lower level.

Anyway, I still have no wireless network though the wired element works fine.

You have to get a Wireless-N adapter using a Ralink 3070 Chipset or any Ralink 3000 series Chipset wireless adapter should work.

It will not work with a Wireless adapeter using Realtek chipset because the VMP74/75 uses a Sigma Designs chipset which do not work with any type of Realtek stuff - including not being able to playback Realteks Real Video and RMVB files...

Today I am returning the Dynamode WL-700N-MRT USB Dongle for a refund and will then search once again for a dongle with the Ralink 3070 chipset.
Regarding the "Network Wizard", yes I also wondered if that option only appears when the VMP74 recognizes the wireless dongle.
If all else fails, I will buy 20 metres of ethernet cable and forget the wireless.

I got my VMP74 for £46 inc VAT on a TodayOnly from Scan plus an EDIMAX EW-7711UTN 150Mbps USB adapter also from Scan (£8.98 + VAT) - This was recommended on ViewSonic site and works fine. Note - I could not find any recommended dongles for VMP74 on ViewSonic site - so I looked up VMP75 and this page Viewsonic » VMP75 has a list:

"*The following wireless readyt adapters are supported by the NexTV VMP75:

* Alfa Network (AWUS036NEH)
* AZIO (AWU101N)
* EDIMAX (EW-7711UTn)
* Intellinet 150N Model 524698/524438
* Zonet ZEW2545

Additional suggested wireless adapters may be provided and amended by ViewSonic from time to time. ViewSonic branded wireless adapter will be available in the near future."

I got my VMP74 for £46 inc VAT on a TodayOnly from Scan plus an EDIMAX EW-7711UTN 150Mbps USB adapter also from Scan (£8.98 + VAT) - This was recommended on ViewSonic site and works fine. Note - I could not find any recommended dongles for VMP74 on ViewSonic site - so I looked up VMP75 and this page Viewsonic » VMP75 has a list:

"*The following wireless readyt adapters are supported by the NexTV VMP75:

* Alfa Network (AWUS036NEH)
* AZIO (AWU101N)
* EDIMAX (EW-7711UTn)
* Intellinet 150N Model 524698/524438
* Zonet ZEW2545

Additional suggested wireless adapters may be provided and amended by ViewSonic from time to time. ViewSonic branded wireless adapter will be available in the near future."

Is it possible to use say the Edimax dongle to connect a wifi mouse/keyboard combo?
TIA.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom