Viewsonic VMP73 HD Media Player £49.99

NewFangled

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just though I would make a thread, as this player is great value and it look's cool too :D

Its currently on offer for £49.99 from Maplin

Viewsonic VMP73 HD Media Player Free Delivery : Video Entertainment Players : Maplin

mini-re_VMP73-1_front.jpg

It is Realtek 1073 Chipset based same as AC Ryan, OPlay etc

Viewsonic dont seem to offer any firmware updates, buts it is fully compatible with firmware for the BriteView Cinematube Mini as long as you update using hold down power button BootStrap Update Method.

It has same remote layout so all keys are mapped OK, its more compatible than Viewsonic firmware, but the interface is a bit generic buy hey for £49.99 inc postage you cant really argue!, so far its played everthing I have tried no Video or Audio issues :thumbsup:

I will gave to try the mede8er firmware to see if it will work, but I think the remote layout is different so that might make it hard to use!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just though I would make a thread, as this player is great value and it look's cool too :D

Its currently on offer for £49.99 from Maplin

Viewsonic VMP73 HD Media Player Free Delivery : Video Entertainment Players : Maplin

It is Realtek 1073 Chipset based same as AC Ryan, OPlay etc

Viewsonic dont seem to offer any firmware updates, buts it is fully compatible with firmware for the BriteView Cinematube Mini as long as you update using hold down power button BootStrap Update Method.

It has same remote layout so all keys are mapped OK, its more compatible than Viewsonic firmware, but the interface is a bit generic buy hey for £49.99 inc postage you cant really argue!, so far its played everthing I have tried no Video or Audio issues :thumbsup:

I will gave to try the mede8er firmware to see if it will work, but I think the remote layout is different so that might make it hard to use!

I have just ordered one from Maplin and if you sign up to their newsletter you can get £3 off, so £46.99. I have bought it to stream recordings from my Humax Freesat box following the work done by Radon on opening up the Foxsat hard drive to my network. Hopeing the file structure is compatible.

Following your comment about the BriteView model there seems to be a large degree of compatibility. Though the shape of the box appears to be different all the connections and remotes look identical. So much so that I wonder if they are made by one and the same company.

Will this box allow me to stream content from my NAS to an old CRT TV which has red,yellow,white inputs ?

Thanks in advance,
Brian.

The VMP73 has stereo audio (red and white) and composite video (yellow) RCA sockets so it will physically connect to your CRT TV.
The 74 doesn't have those connections so it won't work.

The spec sheet for the 73 says 480p/720p/1080p - Not sure if you can pass a progressive scan video signal through composite - anyone?
It doesn't say 576i/576p and/or PAL which you'd want for a UK TV but if your TV can show NTSC it should work. Given Maplin have been selling it it would be odd if it didn't work with the legacy connections on a standard UK TV.

Only an owner can say for sure!

I have just ordered one from Maplin and if you sign up to their newsletter you can get £3 off, so £46.99. I have bought it to stream recordings from my Humax Freesat box following the work done by Radon on opening up the Foxsat hard drive to my network. Hopeing the file structure is compatible.

Following your comment about the BriteView model there seems to be a large degree of compatibility. Though the shape of the box appears to be different all the connections and remotes look identical. So much so that I wonder if they are made by one and the same company.

I agree, the unit looks very similar it is possibly re badged by viewsonic!

The Remote is exactly the same too!

Sorry - did it work?

Yes, I havent got a CRT TV but I unplugged the HDMI.

Did a Factory Reset and changed the output to 4:3 and the output to PAL.

Then plugged just the composite Video output into my TV and it works, menu was showing on AV3 my composite channel!

Should work exactly the same on your CRT :thumbsup:

original message : ....my old first generation WD HD TV is playing up....I want to replace it with a CHEAP media player that MUST play MKV/ISO and all the usualAVI/MPegs ect. (not worried about music or photos) must have HDMI tho'
Must be cheap as I now use a dedicated PC with HDMI for general use. Just want a Media player for occasional portability requirements....

NOT another WD or AC Ryan .... anything else - suggestions ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I purchased the VMP73 from Maplins and it arrived today.

Setup no probs into my 42" LCD TV - 10 minutes
Compared to the WD it's slow - the WD was no speed merchant with its file lists and searches but this VMP73
is real s - l - o - w.

I've got two USB - WD HDD's (2TB each) plugged in so perhaps I would have liked a bit more speed !
....But anyway - it works !

Picture quality (detail / sharpness / colour depth /saturation / black levels ect. )
Again - compared to the WD - not as good. Watching Avatar (MKV format) was a total come down after the WD... Far less detail ... noise on screen in certain scenes... It's like going back to SD after watching HD....
..... But anyway - it -works !!

It played ISO's and MKV's no problems - that's all I wanted
..hooray - it works !!!!!

The remote control - frustrating - you have to point it 'directly' at the VMP73 for it to register and many times it was 2 or 3 presses to get it to operate.....
......But anyway - it works !!!

Overall - I was going to send it straight back to Maplins and get a refund but as I'm only going to use it on the odd occasion (it's very portable) as I've now got an HTPC set up that does everthing that it should do...

..... IT WORKS !!!!

For anyone looking for CHEAP - it's OK... but if its picture quality and a good responsive player you are really after then I suggest that you look for something else....(just my opinion - for what it's worth... )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that I've just got in from work and was about to blag my lady to order it early for my birthday as there's only a few left in stock ! I think I'm going to order the LaCie Lacinema Classic HD 2TB does anyone know if it's worth it as hardly any reviews that I can find so far ?

Thanks for that I've just got in from work and was about to blag my lady to order it early for my birthday as there's only a few left in stock ! I think I'm going to order the LaCie Lacinema Classic HD 2TB does anyone know if it's worth it as hardly any reviews that I can find so far ?

..I was also looking at the LaCie but it's got quite a few 1 * star comments on Amazon....

I've been 'playing' with my VMP73 over the last 24 hours and I can (just about) live with it..the picture quality on a good RIPped DVD is not bad....The remote - I can (just about) live with - just have to learn to point it straight... But it is notoriously slow - Do a search to find a film with the inbuilt 'search' function - you wait for several minutes - then it comes up with NOT FOUND... won't use that anymore...

BUT - if you want a low priced (CHEAP) media player (as I did) -it just about passes the test....

I'm still in two minds as to return it... Anything else to suggest ?

Let us all know on here if you buy the LaCie and what you think of it ....

I will mate I'm gonna go for it as it seems to do all I need it to will be a few weeks yet though I'm afraid !
Originally I was going to get a Bluray player and burner but didn't see the point in buying physical media all the time to be watched once an sat in a cupboard so chose this route instead
I'll admit the amazon reviews concerned me a little but I've noticed a lot of miserable swines like to vent there lol ! I'll bookmark this thread and get back to ya when I've purchased although there's still time for a guy to change his mind !

I think some people are really expecting too mutch for just £49.99!

If you want top of the range there is the D Link Boxee Box or TViX S1 Slim both are fast, have very polished interfaces and are well supported HD Media Players.

But they cost around £170 so thats more than 3 times the price of the viewsonic box.

Currently I dont think at this pricepoint your will find anything better.

At the end of the day you pays our money and makes your choice.

Compared to my first Media Player a Freecom 350 Model in 2007 with no hdmi, only supported .avi .wmv dvix etc and it cost £180,

This box is great :thumbsup:

Also on my Bravia I havent noticed mutch difference in the picture quality vs Asus Oplay or WDTV!

I think some people are really expecting too mutch for just £49.99!

If you want top of the range there is the D Link Boxee Box or TViX S1 Slim both are fast, have very polished interfaces and are well supported HD Media Players.

But they cost around £170 so thats more than 3 times the price of the viewsonic box.

Currently I dont think at this pricepoint your will find anything better.

At the end of the day you pays our money and makes your choice.

Compared to my first Media Player a Freecom 350 Model in 2007 with no hdmi, only supported .avi .wmv dvix etc and it cost £180,

This box is great :thumbsup:

Also on my Bravia I havent noticed mutch difference in the picture quality vs Asus Oplay or WDTV!

.....as you say - for the money - it's not bad....

I kept waffling on about using briteview firmware and guess what Viewsonic did issue there update on 20th April 2011 for the VMP 73.

I just found the date on there downloads page, link below.

ViewSonic - Downloads

I am now trying it on mine, seems good.

Menu looks a bit better and compatibility seems fine ;)

Oh by the way Advid, I wonder if you have a faulty remote or bad batteries in the box!

As my remote seems very responsive, mutch better than my WDTV remote anyway.

You could try new batts, energiser AAA lithium are amazing, expensive but they last aaagggeess!

Also according to another user with briteview firmware you can plug in an external usb DVD Rom drive
and you can playback DVD Discs and media from data dvd discs!

My DVD rom drive does not work with latest viewsonic release, so it looks like its just Brite View that supports external usb.

Last edited:
My VMP73 arrived yesterday and had it up and running in about 10 minutes. As I said in a previous post my main reason for buying this unit was to stream recordings on my Humax Foxsat to TV's in other rooms.

Using Upnp it found my network straight away (Windows 7 16bit) and most importantly my Humax Foxsat with Raydons mods on it. Selected a video from the Foxsat and it played no problem. Quality of SD film was as good as when played on the Foxsat. Not tried any HD content yet. The Foxsat has a 1TB HDD and there is no meaningful delay in finding or playing the recordings via my wired network. Have not tried a wireless connection.

I then tried TV recordings I had on my PC, downloaded via USB digital Freeview tuner, and it found and played them, better quality than on the PC.

The LCD TV I have in the bedroom has the ability to record to USB/Hard Drive and I plugged in the Iomega 320GB portable HDD I use for recording from this TV and it played the files with no problem and the same quality as when the drive is connected to the TV.

I set the resolution on the VMP73 to 1080p at 50Hz. Picture quality is a rather subjective subject and can vary according to the equipment used. I have used a Sky+ box, a Topfield and a Humax Foxsat to record TV and in my opinion the quality of the VMP3 output is similar to that of the others.

A previous poster talked about the remote being poor but mine is much better then the one on the Foxsat even when used about the same distance from the relevant box. I have not had any delays in response or required multiple presses, a frustration I have with the Foxsat remote. No complaints about the remote.

This is the first multimedia streaming device, other than a PC, I have had and though I have only played with it to date and viewed one complete movie I will be more than happy with my purchase if it continues to perform as it has.

At £46.99 it is a bargain and I am happy with how it links to the Foxsat and the rest of my network and plays the recorded files on the bedroom LCD TV. Thinking about getting another for the other bedroom.

So far I agree with NewFangled “this box is great”.

EDIT

A previous poster refers to the Search facility being very slow "several minutes" and then "not found". This facility only appears to work for searching an HDD attached to the USB ports. I tried it on my 320GB portable HDD and it found the file in about 2 seconds. The facility allows you to type in e.g. cr and it pulled up Crank and also Nightscream, so it searches for any matching characters in the string. I do not have a 2T HDD so that may have something to do with the posters comments. Opening the Foxsat-HDR folder (1TB) on the network is similar to what happens on a PC i.e. you get a list of all the files in the folder.

Last edited:
My VMP73 arrived yesterday and had it up and running in about 10 minutes. As I said in a previous post my main reason for buying this unit was to stream recordings on my Humax Foxsat to TV's in other rooms.
Hi. I have a networked Foxsat HDR too, and I'm thinking of buying a VMP73 or 74 for the same purpose. You mention you have (or had) a Topfield. Have you tried playing a Topfield (5800) recording on the VMP73? If that works it would be an added advantage for me. (I'd transfer some of of my Topfield recordings to the Humax!)

Hi. I have a networked Foxsat HDR too, and I'm thinking of buying a VMP73 or 74 for the same purpose. You mention you have (or had) a Topfield. Have you tried playing a Topfield (5800) recording on the VMP73? If that works it would be an added advantage for me. (I'd transfer some of of my Topfield recordings to the Humax!)

Hi tichtich
I still have the Topfield 5800 though I do not use it very much since I bought the Foxsat.
However your comments got me thinking that what you are after might suit me. I copied a recording from the Toppy (held as an REC file) to a USB drive and then inserted it into the VMP73 but it failed to recognise it. I then thought about using Raydon's AV2HDR application but it also failed to recognise the file.
VLC will play the REC file but to transfer to the Foxsat it appears you will need to find a conversion app. for the file type that the Foxsat or Raydon's app. uses.

Pity that.

Edit

Thinking a bit more. I edited the file extension from .rec to .ts and it now plays on the VMP73 from the USB, the wonders of simplicity.
However when I try AV2HDR it sees the file but tells me it is not a valid ts file extension and will not open it. I then tried copying the file to my PC hard drive and playing it via the network on the VMP73, it sees the file but will not play it.
So simplicity provides different results.
Hope this is of some assistance

Last edited:
Thinking a bit more. I edited the file extension from .rec to .ts and it now plays on the VMP73 from the USB, the wonders of simplicity.
That's good to know. Thanks.

I had a similar experience with the rec2mp3 program which I sometimes use. (Converts Toppy radio .rec's to .mp3.) It works on HDR radio recordings too, as long as I change the extension to .rec.

I then tried copying the file to my PC hard drive and playing it via the network on the VMP73, it sees the file but will not play it.
This program claims to convert Toppy recordings to standard .ts format. Perhaps it will help. (I haven't had any success using it to provide input for AV2HDR, though.)
Paul's web page

Anyone tried this with BBC iplayer ?
I have the vmp74 which does but wondered if this works too.

i have just bought VMP73 yes it shows up on my tv but how do i connect my pc to the unit? i tried phoning veisonic but @10p a minute and no answer i thought i would ask the genius on this site thanks in anticipation,.

..I was also looking at the LaCie but it's got quite a few 1 * star comments on Amazon....

I've been 'playing' with my VMP73 over the last 24 hours and I can (just about) live with it..the picture quality on a good RIPped DVD is not bad....The remote - I can (just about) live with - just have to learn to point it straight... But it is notoriously slow - Do a search to find a film with the inbuilt 'search' function - you wait for several minutes - then it comes up with NOT FOUND... won't use that anymore...

BUT - if you want a low priced (CHEAP) media player (as I did) -it just about passes the test....

I'm still in two minds as to return it... Anything else to suggest ?

Let us all know on here if you buy the LaCie and what you think of it ....

Hi
I know its been a while but busy schedule etc !

I got the lacie a couple of weeks ago had a lot of trouble with it out of the box as it didnt seem to want to play most files or take an update that it showed it needed, however after a factory reset it updated straight away to the newest firmware and plays anything i throw at it most notably BD iso's as it wasnt supposed to before and they are superb ! The sound and picture quality are amazing and options for subtitling and audio good, it has an attractive interface and scrolls through functions pretty fast. With all this the 2TB hard drive and good looks small size and portability I would highly recommend this unit to anyone. I got mine from Pixmania for the best price and good delivery time ! My only issue so far is that some MKV's are a little out of sync though I'm really not sure if this is the player or how they were decoded but most seem to come into sync after a brief period and sometimes a couple of presses of pause :confused:

All in all then I'm very pleased with mine and it shows my new tv off a treat hope this helps:thumbsup:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9371940/art/lacie/lacinema-playhd-media-pla.html
It's even £20 cheaper now than when I bought !

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom