ViewSonic PX747-4K DLP Projector Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,586
    2. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +348
      Nice and comprehensive review as usual. (Keep them coming)

The standard for the best 0.47 chip design seems to be the Optoma UHD 51, (It pretty much always comes out on top in reviews, (Professional or user) or if you want more flexibility (Full lens adjustment etc.) then the quite a bit more expensive JVC UHP-1 is the model to go for, so will you be testing these all.

NOTE: The 4 flashes do not produce the same images offset, but 4 different images offset so that when combined by the eye give you the 8.3 million pixels. (It would not pass the 4 K standards otherwise)

As to native low price 4K well! Epson has fallen way behind in the projector stakes, (Its designs in comparison to other manufactures models are antique) but as they were ground breaking when their 4K enhancement was 1st introduced, I think they might pull another fast one in the next year or 2, (The ones released this year are just the old ones re-hashed) which will really take low cost 4K to another level.

Bill

3. Doc

Doc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      Amusing advert appearing on this webpage above your review....

Cunning advert programming dudes...

benq.jpg

4. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +414
      Bearing in mind that it looks unlikely that 4k will supercede HD in any serious way for many years yet, it would be interesting to see a comparison between one of these budget, 4k models and a full HD model of a similar price. It seems to me that many projector buyers on a tight budget may be better off sticking with HD for the time being rather than trying to jump on the 4k bandwagon.

5. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      I have tried one 7/10 is very generous would rate it around 5/10.

6. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +348
      Picture quality is Personal (One person’s 8 is another person’s 4) however I am curious as to which 4K projector you would use on a coffee table, that could be put back in the cupboard when finished watching the footie.

Bill

7. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      At around 1k price and the better throw range would be the Optoma uhd40 nice quiet projector to, but having pitched most of them against each other I would prefer an Epson 6600/6700/6800 on a coffee table with their huge lens shift options better throw range and being brighter much more pop with colour and blacks to looks much better still even though in 1080p than the 4k budget options. Really did have a problem with the weird noise this viewsonic made in the higher lamp mode, also fussy when it would do 4k with my roku 4k sticks and virgin 4k box lot of the time would only do 1080p lots of restarting to get it in the 4k.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    8. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
    9. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +414
      This doesn't surprise me at all. It goes to show that there is so much more to picture quality than resolution alone.

10. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I have the PX-727, which is cheaper again. But has a better colour wheel I believe. From what I’ve read, the only difference is the RGBRGB color wheel on the 727 and the RGBW color wheel on the 747. The 747 is for poorly setup viewing rooms where light cannot be restricted. I replaced an old Sanyo PLZ-Z2000 due its bulb going, and rather than spending 200 on a good OEM bulb, decided to spend 800 on a new 4K PJ with 5 year warranty. It is good at motion, which is the main reason I got it. It is very noisy at 4K, but you can silence it for 1080p content. It is very slow at picking up sources, and I had an issue where Sky Q confirmation screen would not show up quick enough on Projector, and it would timeout back to the previous resolution, making me think the PJ could not support it! Just need to know the buttons to press on the remote to confirm resolution is supported, and how to change it back to 1080p. As always, you get what you pay for. I probably should have looked into a great quality full HD PJ that is quieter for now. Im still on the fence, but the noise is bad for quite, night time watching of 4k content.

11. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +414
      If you are used to a Sanyo Z2000 then I can understand why this would be a problem. I have one and it is practically silent in eco mode.

12. Paulct

Paulct
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Been put off Viewsonic since had a couple of PJ551 projectors which both failed with DMD chips and spotted pixels. On inspection the heatsink material was not applied correctly and areas that failed it wasn't touching. Maybe quality has improved since then though.

13. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      At around this price bracket 2grand below the Epson eh tw7300 is a no brainer and with black Friday coming it could go for near a grand amazon. I have tried almost all of them now below this price and its in a different league to them all.

14. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +348
      Isn’t it a bit large and heavy to keep taking out of the cupboard to watch the footie (Possibly on the patio) and then put it back again?

Bill

15. digger99

digger99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      That's for you to decide what suits your needs most, mines picture quality to be used daily. They are easy enough to return on amazon so best is try one and decide then.