1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewsonic nextvision 5 for ae100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mcaw, Sep 16, 2003.

1. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking at this as an option for my ae100.
    It will output 852x480 pscan which is perfect for the ae100 ( progressive scan at very near native res ) into it's VGA port.
    It is a ProV+ type device, which uses the Trident DPTV-MV proccessing chip, which seems to be well regarded.
    Bulit in tuner etc, for around £100.
    Since it can output 852x480, is it a better option than the ProV ?

2. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    If anyone has, or get, one of these i'd love to read a review. Sounds good.

3. DowNtimE

DowNtimE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one hooked to an older video projector (Sharp XG-3850e).

Well, what can I say, the tv tuner is nice, so are the variety of menu options i.e brightness, contrast and so forth. Resolutions are 640x480,800x600,852x480 and 1024x768. Also can scale picture to 4:3 and 16:9 modes.

Picture quality is nice, I'm using 852x480 resolution, 60hz. Only problem is that in fast moving scenes the picture gets distortions on some parts. Can't explain it ;)

Inputs are composite, svideo, computer passthrough(hd15) and catv. No component or rgb, shame....but svideo quality is still very nice.

My only gripe is that channels can't be sorted after the n5 auto tunes them. Only option is to manually tune each channel. It's really frustrating.

Also sometimes the n5 loses the picture settings, brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness might jump to 90 % or so for no apparent reason????

4. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I post some email dialog with Alan at Keene for info

"....I am trying to find info on the vtb100, could you please help me, as there doesn't appear to be anything on the net.
    Is it a re-badged Viewsonic Nextvision product, using the Trident DPTV chips, or is it a Zinwell ProV/ BriteView clone ?
    If it is a new product, is there anywhere I can more specs for it.
    Cheers ..........."

Hi,
    The main chipset used in the VTB-100 is the SmartAsic STV108 - Integrated TV Processor.
    The balance of the other IC devices on the PCB are made by Philips, as is the TV Tuner.
    The VTB-100 is designed and built by the same engineers who originally developed the ProV for Zinwell and the Viewsonic VB50HRTV. They later left Zinwell to start their own company and currently make the VTB-100 and the Viewsonic Nextvision.

Alan Quinby

".......Alan
    Thanks for that.
    Have you demo'd this against a ProV+ If so how do they compare performance wise ? ......."

Hi
    Feel free to post the info - no problem at all with that.
    To my eyes the ProV Plus just has the edge on picture quality, although of course only the VTB100 gives you DVI out and component input option. If you don't intend to use component or DVI then I'd probably recommend the ProVPlus but its a close call.
    If you're anywhere near to us you're welcome to call in and have a demo?
    Alternatively of course you could buy one and return it for refund if you're not happy (usual obvious things packaging, time etc applying)
    Best regards,
    Alan.

".......Alan
    Could you supply the ViewSonic Nextvision5.......?
    This outupts 852x480 which is near native for the panasonic ae100 projector.
    Do you think this would be better than, XGA from a ProV and then letting the AE100 do the scaling ? ....."

Hi
    At the moment that not a product we're able to supply I'm afraid. If its output is "near" native and the projector still has to scale then I doubt there'd be any difference. If it was exactly native then it probably would.
    I hope this helps,
    Cheers,

Alan

As the 852x480 is native for the ae100 then maybe the Nextvision 5 is the way to go.