Views on the Sony HS1 Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ani4ani, Aug 5, 2002.

1. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi, I currently have a Sony CX1, which I am generally pleased with. The only handicap to me is the noise and the fact that it must sit in front of the screen on a table.

I am very interested in the HS1 and the side-shot function - could any one offer an opinion of this projector or are there other projectors that have this function? Ceiling mounts are out of the question

thx in antcipation

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have my CX1 in front of me and it kind of detracted from the 'home cinema experience'. Quite a while ago I bought a projector stand from Jessops for about £15-£20 (bargain really!) in the sales and now I have it mounted behind the sofa.... its far better now :).

btw have you tweaked your gain settings and bias settiings in the service menu?, you can really make the image 3D with a bit of tweaking on this projector!.

3. HomeCinemaGuy

HomeCinemaGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im a very proud owner of the Sony Hs1 ( cineza ) a lot of people say the quality of the output is much to be desired but they havnt gone out and purchased prouper cable.

The SideShot technology is very primitive at the moment and is far from perfect but it will minimilise the mishapen effect when projecting from the side.

If you are able to view this projector before purchasing I would strongly recommend it. I can nearly guarentee you will fall in love with it.

Steve

4. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The HS1 is a great pj for the money, I paid £1699 but have seen it as low as £1399 now thw panny ae100 is on the scene. The sideshot isnt perfect but at least you have the option. How many others have even tried to offer this function?

Jrwood, I'd be interested to hear what settings you have changed to improve the picture? I have been into the service menu and corrected my colour balance and boosted the contrast a bit, there seems to be whole forums dedicated to setting up the ae100 but precious little on the HS1

And what's with this filter? Can we all improve our pjs with a similar filter?

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    @Mikeaitch
    Out of pure curiosity I have ordered a Hoya FL-D HMC filter from the USA, should be here any day now for my Sony HS-1. I am curious as to what improvement it will give. If it doesn't improve the image then I'll simply sell it on to a Panny owner :D

As yet I really haven't ventured into the Service Menu, apart from testing out the invert option to allow the projector to be ceiling mounted, what values did you change and was there a real improvement?

I have used the side-shot quite a bit and I must say it is rather useful. I still prefer not to use it as I am starting to notice the odd jaggies the sideshot is introducing, I guess I am just getting picky as my use increases :)

cheers

Gavin

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The fan noise from the HS1 is pretty reasonable. I have it almost right beside my head and it doesn't intrude except in quiet scenes. It's also more of a quiet 'whirr' than a high pitched whine like you often get from, say, a PC.

I don't use side shot but I can see that it would be a useful option - it would introduce distortion though and definitely an odd shadow around the picture (where the edges are blanked off to make the frame appear square).

Generally I'm pretty happy with the picture quality. There are a couple of dodgy pixels on mine, but that is a generic LCD problem and it doesn't really distract me. Screen door isn't a problem at 2x screen width but there is a slight tendency to see a vertical line structure on light backgrounds of even colour.

It does a pretty good job displaying composite signals too - Sky Digital looks pretty decent even when chained through a VCR. The s-video from a DVD is excellent - my DVD doesn't have component inputs so I can't try them but I'd imagine there would be some more improvement.

Black levels are OK but I'd like to see them lower of course. Being 4:3 you do get really large letterbox bars on many moves which accentuates the problem.

All in all a nice system with the accent on convenience - getting a screen with it is very nice but the build quality on the screen isn't the best (see my other thread). If you can get it for around the same price as a Panasonic AE100 it's compares pretty well IMO.

Gav

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Gavin

INterested to hear what you think when you get the filter. I definitely saw improvements after playing with the service menu, increasing contrast levels to give me more control when in standard mode and correcting the colour balance problem which was giving a slight green tinge, and boosting the red output as this is traditionally not a strong point with lcds. I'll have a look to see what exactly I changed when I get the chance but a word of warning:
    WRITE DOWN ALL THE ORIGINAL VALUES BEFORE YOU START!

Its far too easy to mess things up and forget what the original values were. If you write them down, you can always get back to the factory settings....

8. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Gavan,

I have my HS-1 connected to my Tosh 210 thru S-Video. I have tried both s-video and component and I can't see any difference in picture quality. I guess there should be some improvement but if there is, it is really marginal, it definately doesn't justify the £80 for the bespoke Sony Cable.

cheers

Gavin

9. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ani4ani,

I have had my HS1 for 9 months now and it has never failed to please my eyes when watching movies and playing video games.

I have sucessfully mounted mine on the ceiling and I have to recomend anyone who is thinking about it or has the time to do it.

The Projector is directly above my head and I have to say even during the quiet scenes i dont hear the fans at all

Gavin,mickatich

This filter sounds interesting if there is a way to improve the contrast then I am up for that as I have to say it is one area that the HS1 could do with some improvment.

Mickatich, could you tell me what options in the factory/service menu you are changing to adjust the colour balance and contrast.

Cheers

Kevin.

10. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,

Forgot to add this to the earlier post.

I use my HS1 through Component from my Denon 2800 in Progressive Scan mode and I have to say that the picture quality has taken a big jump up in terms of quality and colour from S-video, the biggest improvment has to be in that the scene has more depth due to the image being clearer into the distance, I have to think this is due to Progressive signal having more information to play with.

Cheers

Kevin

11. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Going to have another play if I get time later.

Will post my views and any useful info if anybody's interested.

Btw, using Tosh 510 modded via component and Denon 3801. I've used good quality svideo leads, and the difference to component is very clear, lending more depth to the image and more solid colurs, if you switch between the inputs it can quite easily seen.

Has anyone got the 4 digit number for the IR commander so I can use my Denon remote btw? It wont learn the commands

12. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Kevin/Mikeaitch

The Hoya HMC FL-DAY filter arrived this morning :) I screwed it into my Sony Cineza HS-1 and immediately saw an increase in contrast/black levels, yes it obviously had an negative affect on the overall brightness of the image, but this was a minor inconveniance when compared to the improvement to the black levels. Even the wife said the colours look *better*, which is saying something!! A definate improvement for a mere $30

I have yet to play with the RGB levels within the Service menu. Mikeaitch any pointers as to what you changed would be welcome.

For info I ordered a *58*mm filter, it screws into the original lens very nicely, no faffing around with black tape :)

cheers

Gavin

13. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevin Harris wrote:-
    "I use my HS1 through Component from my Denon 2800 in Progressive Scan mode and I have to say that the picture quality has taken a big jump up in terms of quality and colour from S-video, the biggest improvment has to be in that the scene has more depth due to the image being clearer into the distance, I have to think this is due to Progressive signal having more information to play with."

I went to view one today at a shop in Bedford and they told me that it did not accept a progressive scan signal which makes me favour either the panasonic 100 (which I have not seen) or the Sanyo plv-30, both of which do accept prog scan and also have component connections (I believe) whereas the sony does not.
    If I am wrong I'm sure someone will tell me.

14. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Larry,

The shop you visited dont have a clue.

Even manual states the preset video modes the projector will take a 50 or 60hz progressive signal and just to back that up I use both through my modded Denon 2800.

Hope that helps to clear a few things up.

Cheers

Kevin

15. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You Kevin.

They did say they had just got it out of the box when I arrived so maybe they had not read the manual thoroughly.

Does that mean it also accepts component video or is it an optional extra?

16. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    To get component input you need to buy an optional cable from Sony, they cost around £80. Either the HS-20 or HS-40 both allow slightly different connections. See Techtronics WWW site for additional details or go to Sony for all the information.

You can connect s-video and composite without this cable.

17. mcoupeloon

mcoupeloon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the HS1 for a couple of months now & am very happy with it. Be aware of high prices for the accessories though.

18. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    larry: As Gavin says, you could buy the extra cable. There is, however, also the choice of getting the IFU-HS1 switch box, which allows you to connect a number of sources to the PJ (amongst those, one component source). You can also switch via the IFU-HS1 between a TV and the PJ for viewing the material, if your TV has S-video input.
    The switch box is, as with the other cineza accesories, hideously overpriced, unfortunately. A further weakness of the IFU-HS1 is that you still need an extra cable for connecting a PC to the PJ (the IFU-HS1 doesn't accept VGA/Dsub). Oh and there's no remote :-(

19. MUG3N

MUG3N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to mikeaitch's post:

Could any one tell me where I can get the HS1 at sub £1500?

20. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.go2camcorder.co.uk/dyndata/mailorder/artikel/Projector.html sell it quite cheaply and Ive heard good things about their service. If it was me though I would wait for the VPL-HS10 to come out which is in the next couple of months, I reckon the HS1 will then sell for £1200-£1300 RRP..