views on Rose Hill in Sutton

vu5ter

Hi all looking for opinions on buying a property in Rose Hill in Sutton. Anyone from the area that can offer an insight? Alternative is Hill Cross area in Morden.

Many thanks

vu5ter

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
What opinions are you after? Is it regarding the general area?
Are you single, Married, have children etc?
What type of property are you looking to buy?

vu5ter

Hi I'm married with a 1 year old child and relocating to London for work. Seen a really nice house in rose hill park but significantly cheaper then other area of Sutton and not knowing the area suspiciously questioning why.

question is really regarding the area. Google talks about white van drivers St heliers and benhilton estates but dated a few years ago but how much of an issue it is these days

thanks

beemer

I live about 5 mins away from there, I can't tell you much about the estates, the area is ok, there are certainly worse places locally, I think most of the houses are either current or ex local authority in the area.

Lots of green space near by, a leisure centre with a soft play (for the kids) and a large tesco's

It's close(ish) to Sutton town centre, about 5min drive, Wimbledon, Kingston and Croydon also aren't too far.

St helier hospital is a bit of an eyesore.

beemer

Hill cross, I would say personally is a better area though, and I think hill cross primary school is pretty good.

vu5ter

Thanks Beemer. Any reason why you would prefer Hill Cross apart from the school? my budget is 500k for the perfect house but preferably cheaper for a 3 bed . With that in mind are you able to suggest pockets of area I should be looking at? additional criteria is i need to be within 10 min drive from Morden station but also walking distance to train/underground into the city.

beemer

I'm in Worcester park, which is a bit of a commuter town, 25 mins into Waterloo, 10-15 min bus ride or 5 min in car to Morden, other areas you could look at in the area, would be motspur park, lower Morden and possibly Raynes Park or New Malden.

You should get something suitable well within your budget in those areas, have a look at KT3, KT4 and possibly SW19 postcodes.

Personally, If Morden is your starting point I would look at a semi circle towards the Epsom, Kingston, Wimbledon directions, rather than Sutton, Mitcham, Croydon, if that makes sense?

vu5ter

Perfect sense thanks for taking the time. Was only looking at Sutton as houses theregenerally look bigger aand the garden size is more of what I'm accustomed to :)

beemer

No problem.

Don't get me wrong within all areas mentioned, there are nice parts of the areas I've suggested to avoid and vice versa.

THE_FORCE

Banned
I'm in Worcester park, which is a bit of a commuter town,
I grew up in Kingsmead Avenue.(went to Cheam Common then Sutton Manor)

Nonsuch Park is still a nice vast area of greenery to have on your doorstep.

I bet Broadway Bargains is still there pmsl.

It was a sh*t hole full of scum when I lived in Hackbridge just down the road about ten years ago. It's got better apparently, but I couldn't wait to move. How about further south (Purley wayish), great transport links.

But as a fellow wise poster said, you need to come down as far a Purley, avoid Croydon, Mitcham IMHO.

vu5ter

Many thanks guys really tough decision to make at the moment as spending this amount of money means we really need to get it right

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
My family all live in Sutton, near the big B&Q and it's quite nice although houses do have limited gardens. I believe Rose Hill is a bit of a downgrade from main Sutton and if spending as much as £500k I'd possibly consider somewhere a bit nicer.
Areas in Cheam along with Ewell & Epsom are still very nice I believe with a bit more greenery and space around (I grew up in Ewell/Epsom right by Nonsuch Park).

All have good links to London

nabby

Distinguished Member
I grew up and still live in Carshalton, which is the next town along the A217 from Sutton.

London Borough of Sutton Primary schools were recently ranked 3rd best in the country and joint best in London so I'd honestly stick to the Sutton area if schools are important. My daughter starts reception in September and I wouldn't look to move outside Sutton now.

Rosehill is ok. The part around Rosehill roundabout is busy. There's a Coop supermarket, the big hospital and a mixture of mostly low-end shops. Have you considered Belmont, Carshalton, Carshalton Beeches or Wallington?

some examples:
Rightmove - Error
Rightmove - Error
Rightmove - Error
Rightmove - Error

If you're looking at Sutton then the SM2 postcode is the best part.

nabby

Distinguished Member
Thanks Beemer. Any reason why you would prefer Hill Cross apart from the school? my budget is 500k for the perfect house but preferably cheaper for a 3 bed . With that in mind are you able to suggest pockets of area I should be looking at? additional criteria is i need to be within 10 min drive from Morden station but also walking distance to train/underground into the city.
Is driving to Morden essential, only parking round there is a pain.

vu5ter

Is driving to Morden essential, only parking round there is a pain.
unfortunately yes the drive to Morden station is essential as sharing a nanny with my brother who lives round the corner from the station so parking won't be a problem.

Cheam and Ewell seems really nice but I don't think the logistics in the morning would work to well

I think I'm stuck with North Sutton if we settle in Sutton due to the drive in the morning

nabby

Distinguished Member
Is the Secombe Centre still there? (in Sutton)
Yes it is :)

There's a Holiday Inn hotel between it and the Civic Offices/Library now. The hotel's been there for 10 years or so I reckon, perhaps a little longer.

nabby

Distinguished Member
unfortunately yes the drive to Morden station is essential as sharing a nanny with my brother who lives round the corner from the station so parking won't be a problem.

Cheam and Ewell seems really nice but I don't think the logistics in the morning would work to well

I think I'm stuck with North Sutton if we settle in Sutton due to the drive in the morning
You'll be dropping the nanny at your brother's?

You can drive from Carshalton to Morden in 10 mins if you're going before 8am. I'm down near to Carshalton Village, by Carshalton Park, and when I worked in Wimbledon I drove via Morden. Before 8am it was usually 10 mins maximum.

Otherwise North Cheam might work for you. The parts of North Sutton around Greenshaw School are pretty nice.

rousetafarian

WARNING: NORTHERNER'S OPINION

I quite like Sutton, Cheam etc from what I saw whilst being there for work on numerous occasions. The high street in Sutton seemed ok, lively and fairly safe. Cheam seemed more residential but nothing to be scoffed at.

I've not researched house prices in either area so cannot comment on affordability.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett