Views on Pioneer PDP-436SXE Plasma please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dibdobbs, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dibdobbs

dibdobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to all this, so would appreciate forum advice. Have read a number of reviews. Want to replace our 8 yr old faithful 32" Sony Trinitron TV with a good plasma TV around the 42 or 43 ". My husband is leaving it up to me to decide, so want to make the right choice !!

The Pioneer PDP-436SXE Plasma HD Ready Television, 43 Inch seems to get excellent reviews.

I am concerned that people keep saying Plasma's are not as good and as clear as "normal" TV's when watching run of the mill stuff. Whilst we obviously want it for the HD broadcasts, I don't want to spent £2,000 and be disappointed.

I have read the reviews on the Panasonics and the Pioneers and it seems that the Pioneer comes out on quality for standard broadcasts.

Also, there appears to be a SXE (integrated Freeview) and XDE (external freeview box). Apart from the obvious benefits if you want to mount it on a wall having only one cable, are there any advantages / disadvantges between the two (e.g. two HDMI slots?) Do both come with speakers built in.

It appears that John Lewis seems a good bet, as they offer 5 years warranty.

Thanks
    Dibdobbs

2. dan4805

dan4805
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, I went the all in one tv route, and the 436SXE met my criteria.

I have owned the panel since may, and can honestly say th PQ is fantastic with all sources. The Panel was run in using the settings listed on this forum
    ( very important you do this for the 1st 100 hours ). And to date have experienced no Retention or Burn In, just pure enjoyment.

Since last saturday i am now viewing via SKY HD, and PQ is WOW!

If u r interested i can post a picture of the SXE wall mounted

regards
    Dan

3. cerb

cerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I chose the Pioneer 436SXE against a number of other panels ( Panasonic 42PX60, Hitachi 42PD9700, Tosh 42WLT66, Sony V series ), went to the store with a copy of Digital Video Essentials and a couple of my favourite DVDs.

The Pio came out best, stunning definition, superb black levels, very good on all sources, not just HD. Terrestrial was excellent. The Panasonic ran it close, but personal choice favoured the Pio .

I would have preferred the XDE, since the separate media box is more flexible with inputs ( multiple HDMI, PC ) but my equipment rack is full already so the SXE it was.

The panel is 100% identical to the XDE, and there is no difference in the picture quality. The XDE has optional speakers which are mounted on the sides , which makes the panel wider than the SXE, but do sound better than the built in speakers on the SXE - since I'm using a separate 7.1. sound system this wasn't an issue for me.

The XDE only has one HDMI, so if you have a more than one HDMI device then you will need an HDMI switch or an HDMI switching amp / receiver.

I've been running it for three months now, still on low contrast levels for burn in, and even at those settings its still stunning.

If you go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Do follow the burn in recommendations - see the Pio thread www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323983

4. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

xde has two hdmi sockets:smashin:
    and i love mine to bits.

5. cerb

cerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: