1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

views on my new system? ( Newbie)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jimdad, Nov 25, 2002.

1. jimdad

jimdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my first post. i know nothing about this brave new world of monster SCART and progressive scanning so any advice will be gratefully accepted. I've decided to buy a new system which I hope to use for watching super clear pictures and my Cd collection. However, i don't plan to check the pictures with a magnifying glass so am not too bothered by faults i'd need a degree to spot. My choice is
    TV Philips 28PW9527
    DVD / Home Ent. Philips LX3000D
    VCR Philips VR530.

Whole package plus SCARTS and installation is around £1200. Could someone who knows more than me comment on whether i'm likely to be pleased or suicidal when it arrives?

Last point - I get Telewest"s analogue Cable package through a (Jerrold ??) box just now. Can it be easily included in the system and if so how?

Thanks in advance - i'm finding these forums an eye opener already.

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi the 32" version of this tv suffers from two dark bars on dark pictures.have a look down this forum page for more info.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes, but you'd be better off with digital for WS programmes and better picture quality (most of the time!).

You'll only get 4:3 with analogue which would be a waste with your new WS TV.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Philips systems for almost thirty years, but I would have to say that for every stroke of genius that Philips comes up with - and they really do every so often - they also produce real donkeys of gear just as often.

I haven't seen the dark bars which some people see on some Philips sets, but there must be something there to annoy so many people...

I would suggest that you look at some other makes including Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung - and dare I say it - the likes of Goodmans' new flat screen model before making a decision.

Sorry we don't have cable here, (except for bankrupt Omne) so I can't comment on what cable could offer...

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not consider the Tosh route:

TV: 28ZD26 @ £570 (robertsons and others)
    DVD: SD220E @ £120 (RS and others)

£1200 less £690 leaves about £500 for 5.1 amp, speakers and connects.

I have just bought the 32ZD26 and following the advice to be gleaned from the 5star Tosh thread have a really great (and I mean really great) picture. You could save some pennies going for the cheaper Tosh DVD, or you could splash out on the Tosh SD520 and get NTSC progressive scan which would display on the Tosh ZD26.

As it happens, I bought a Tosh 220 as my entry less than 3 months ago, and am now considering upgrading for the prog.scan. I may wait until there are lots of these about (both NTSC & PAL) but I am also considering selling the Tosh 220 now. But dont let this be an advert - you can get the 220 for a good price new.

happy hunting

ditton

ps and try not to become addicted to this Forum - even though there's so much to learn from this bunch.

pps Robertsons Online have had their critics, but they seem to have apologised to Adele. I approached JL for a price-match and got it.

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimdad: Welcome to the forums mate ^_^

I would support the Tosh route since I'm a current owner as well and the image quality never stops to amaze me. As always though do a little bit of homework before commiting to anything so you can get the full picture. I would also agree on buying seperate equipment for audio duties. The Marantz SR4200 (and over) and Yamaha 5.1 reciecers now are stupidly cheap and of high quality so just run a search at www.richersounds.com or pop down to your local store for a price check. Also IMO the Wharfdale cinema package (£400) is superb value for money and has won many awards so the rest of the cash should be spent on cables.

Also echoing the comments made by others about Digital. You will have a widescreen TV so it'll be nice to make use of it. If yo ugo for Sky Digital then make sure you choose the right package as the prices have recently been bumped up.

ditton15: We're not all evil <wg> ^_^ It can be addictive but then theres always good advice given out. It usually takes me hours to shift through all the PMs and responses on threads mainly because thesedays I don't post as often as I'd like to... And I'm often playing catch-up. Plus more often than not my replies are quite lengthy >_< I just hope the peeps didn't fall asleep ^_^

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimdad,

well done (watch out), you've attracted the attention of one of the Tosh bunch.

No, NeoBlade, you are not all evil - even if you do seem to be one of the night people - and as you know, I have valued your advice.

Of course, the problem with the seperates route is that there is more research/decision-making, and probably a greater resulting spend. But if you could the 'research' as part of the 'fun' (and hence benefit), and you are prepared to buy s/h for some bits then the end result is both highly audio-visual and also capable of upgrade at some time in the future.

Apart from the obvious signs of upgraditis wrt the DVD player (I really should put off the upgrade until later - but then there's that Tosh 510 at less than £200 on offer ...), I now only have two tasks.

The first is to buy that 5.1 amp/rec: but (un)fortunately the choice is enormous. My present plan (that is, for the next half hour) is to buy ex-dem/special offer, hoping for a 'good but slightly dated' 5.1 at a sub-£250 price. But yesterday, I allowed myself to drift up the price scale. And the day before I was convinced that I needed to buy something with Pro-Logic II, as this puts new life into older broadcast material. And the day before that ...

The second task is to buy that sat/sub speaker system, in the belief that I ought to break by older hifi Celestion Ditton 15 love-affair. Mind you, my partner shares this affection, and WAF matters.

keep smiling, and it may all be over by Christmas ..

:p

ditton

ps get some sleep NeoBlade ;)

8. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimdad,

I have the 32/9527 and the lx3000d surround sound system. I am very happy with both.

The tv gives out excellent pictures, the pixel plus makes the images seem so life like. Terrestrial TV/Cable and DVD all look good. Although it does have small problems like small halos around fast moving objects, this is a fairly small issue this.

The black bars as mentioned above appear to the left and right edges of the screen and just make the images darker down the bars. There is hopefully a fix for this. I have engineer coming on saturday with a ferrite ring (see previous threads), these bars can only be seen on dark scenes though.

The lx3000d is adequate for me. The sound is very good, and the sub gives out excellent base, the speakers are quite small and discreet too.

This is my first venture into the home cinema scene, so i cant comment on other makes.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.:)

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ditton15: Hehe its true that I'm one of the night peeps mainly because my work finishes at midnight and I usually pop online later on to check my email. Need to change that pattern though since a few hours in the morning are wasted >_< I've always worked in the late hours since school so its never a problem for me, although a 9-5 job will do me... At least I'll have my evenings free to go out etc.

As for the upgrade bug its certainly true but then it only happens once you have a good base to work with - Speakers, 5.1 receiver, TV, DVD player. It is more work and research when going for the seperates route but IMO the quality is far better than the all in one jobs.

The majority of information are in magazines already (like in What Hi-Fi, etc) and new products are rated all the time. Hell half of that mag contains the "Buyers Guide" with every item reviewed thus far, so it might help in buying a magazine or two so you have more information to look at as well as from the internet.

Just remember that there is no rush to have everything all at once. I spent around £900 on my speakers and 5.1 system at the time and then added my DVD player, CD player and sub-woofer later on. Just take your time and at the end of the day if you are happy with the said product and know its good then enjoy the home cinema experience ^_^ I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with it all.

10. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Does that make them toshers?!!

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bogside : lol cheers mate (!) Actually the Strata is the first Tosh TV I have owned.. Previous brands were Panasonic (still love that TV) and Goodmans... My very first TV well over a decade and a half old lol

12. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jimdad

I'm a newby like yourself .........i plumped for 32PW9527 £1032 Comet + lx3000d uk electrical discount £230 unfotunatley this set is not for me as i think i'm too fussy and the haloing affect that someone mentioned earlier really bugs me on sport and some action scenes. All i would say is if you not buying online and being backed by the 7 day distance reg make sure you give the set a thorough demo mines going back and being exchanged for Sony fx66 ...........when Comet decide they want to that is!!

As for the lx3000d it's great i really like it, sounds great for films not the most brilliant for cd playback but for the money i don't think you can go wrong .......your neighbours will have the hump with the sub that's for sure

:cool:

13. jimdad

jimdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow ! thanks all for the advice. i wish i'd found this forum months ago when i started investigating the poss of upgrading. unfortunately, i've become such a pain to my wife that i reckon i'll have to buy something soon or the money will be used for something "useful".

I hadn't even considered toshiba and didn't realise it had a dedicated following. The cheaper option sounds good and if i have timne i'll investigate it.

Ryanos, I am buying online. what did you mean by your 7 day comment? believe it or not, the cheapest price for this package is at comet online. i'm a bit wary of them because I've read nothing good about them in the forums so any advice on dealing with them would be handy. in fairness, i did get a speedy reply to my email and their chap on the phone made the right sounds about possible elements ( such as saying that there was little point in going above the VR530 as VCR when I was toying with a dearer one. )

still confused by the cable / widescreen elements. Telewest's tech support insist that if the prog is broadcast in w/s I'll get it that way. Any thoughts on this? lastly, on comet's website the LX300D is listed as not coming with subwoofer yet there are comments here about it. I'm confused as it seems to be in comet's own picture of the system.

thanks again for all the help.

14. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to report that I have recently been at the SevenOaks Clearance sales - and picked up, almost half price, two separates that in the May 2002 edition of WHF were both rated 5 stars and were priced a total of £750: the Tosh SD510 dvd player and the Denon 1602 av receiver. Paid about £375 for both (other things bundled in made the price paid more.)

The benefit of buying sps is that the former is future proofed to a degree (dvd-a, as well as prog scan on NTSC/Region1 dvds); the second has 5.1 and DPLII, but will probably be a candidate for upgade at some future date, but maybe not for years.

Note that had I stayed with the Tosh 220, which can be had for about £120, then the combined cost would be about £310. That leaves a little over for speakers.

When I first bought (mid-1970s) I spent half my budget on 2 speakers, and still have them. However, buying 5 good speakers first off, without all of the above dont make sense. So perhaps yout should look for a bargain (RS) set of AV speakers, and look to upgrade them some time in the future.

btw, these are just layman opinions. There are better informed 'amateurs' and 'professionals' on this Forum. Being happy with a same brand package does have some sense (I considered at the Sony ones for a while) but it you subsequently become unhappy with one part you cannot upgrade that weak bit easily.

Enjoy ...

:p

ditton15

ps NeoBlade, I will post a bit of this 'news' on the ZD26 thread.

15. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimdad,

I think that must be a mistype on the website. I got a similar deal and mine came with sub.

Just been on Comet website, if you look at the product information of the lx3000d and go to the bottom descriptions, it tells you what speakers it has. Subwoofer is included.

It has to have a sub to make it 5.1!

16. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jimdad,

What i was referring to is basically a distance selling regulation that basically means if you buy the product/s online you are allowed a "cooling off" period therefore allowing you to try out the product with the knowledge that if it does not suit you can return or swap.

All I will say about Comet from my recent experience is that the initial supply is great but I am having a lot of trouble getting my set exchanged as they seem to prioritise sales and do not appear overly keen on aftersales i will say though that this is my first bad experience with comet i have used their stores loads of times and had no problem, see my post a couple of days ago with regard to my current plight.

hope this helps

Ryan O'Sullivan
    CR0 7SN

17. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    oh yeah and it has definetley got a sub