1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Views on Monitor Audio ASW 100 Subwoofer please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dwsadler1, Sep 17, 2001.

1. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to go & see & listen to Monotor Audio ASW 100 Subwoofer.<br />Does anyone have any experience or views on this sub?

The other I had in mind was the Paradigm PDR-10

Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed.<br />I had one of these for about 7 months (i bought it for £75 new-ish off a Rep friend no questions asked - know what i mean?) and sold it to my brother who has a Paradigm pdr10.<br />It is physically smaller than the Paradigm though uses a 10" driver and has pretty much the LF extension, approx 26-28ish hz at about -10db measured via test disc and spl metering which might not sound low but given it's diminutive footprint actually is surprisingly low, ignore claims from manufacturers (and owners!) from the likes of the (all) Yamaha's, (most) Paradigm's, the IPL diy kit and even the smaller Rel's, I have "tested/lived" with alot of sub's (borrowed etc) and there are VERY VERY few that even manage an in room performance of 20hz and that goes for ALOT of expensive units also let alone lower.<br />It has an ample output and has a more "flexible" set-up facilities than the Paradigm. If you have a small/small medium room then it will "fill" it adequately.<br />Musically a better product than the Paradigm but if £300 is your budget and you only require HC duties then i would be inclined to buy 2 Paradigms.<br />A great sub really, but if it were my money and it was not being discounted in any way then i would save up some more money and buy something a little "further up the ladder".<br />If there is anything further you wish to know about this product then ask away.

[ 17-09-2001: Message edited by: SteveEX ]</p>

3. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, SteveEX.

I don't really want to spend any more than £300 and I don't wan't any more power because I get on well with the neighbours and want to keep it that way.

Provided the MA sub rumbles and fills the low end for movies and keeps up with music basslines without booming or flapping, then I'll be happy.

Does it, SteveEX??

BTW, my main speakers are KEF Q35.2 with Q95.2 centre & Q85s rears

[ 18-09-2001: Message edited by: dwsadler1 ]</p>

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given it is a rear ported design any "boominess" you will encounter will invariably be down to positioning, the room boundary effect if butted up against the wall, and the cursed 40-50(ish) hz peak often found within an "average" room etc etc the amp/drive unit work well together (timing etc) and providing you understand the true purpose of a sub-bass unit (under-pinning NOT IMHO overpowering noise) then you will have no real problems with it whatsoever, given it's relative cost i have no bad memories of it at all. I bought the thing on a pure whim as i got it for peanut's with the intention of using it elsewhere in the house/etc and the fact that it remained in my HC (along with 2 Rel's - it was replaced with a Servo 15 of which i am getting another this week - truely superb sub) for 7-8 months is a statement of how inoffensive i found it to be.<br />Be aware though that next to actual cash spent the next factor in a sub's performance will be down to the room/manner in which it is used (a truely critical factor and far more "fussy" than any other conponent) and with time/effort the difference in performance results can really be surprising.

[ 18-09-2001: Message edited by: SteveEX ]</p>

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a MA ASW110 and find it very fast and accurate, means it's also suitable for music (has an audio/video selector BTW).<br />Using it mostly for AV only and I am very happy with it.<br />Only one little niggle: there is no power on delay, means it makes "thumb" when you switch it on or it's sleeping while in 'auto' mode and a bass line comes along ...

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A bit technical: when the power is switched on a timer will keep the power amp stage disconnected for a while (just a few seconds).<br />Normally during power on a (high) current will rush through the electronics including the power amp which by it's nature will amplify this, feed it into the coil and cause the driver to make a sudden jump, resulting in that 'thump' sound.

In auto-mode it goes to sleep too soon, just a couple of minutes which is too short - so it becomes quite disturbing if your speakers are set to LARGE and LFE is not that often used - but when it comes it will make that 'thump' sound. Rather annoying.<br />So I often switch it to "ON" manually, have to access the mains switch anyhow as I always cut the sub off completely from the mains when not in use.

Wouldn't expect any problem with music or if some/all speakers are set to SMALL so there is more bass send to the sub to "keep him awake".

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dwsadler1<br />The thump Reiner speaks of is not present on the asw100.

8. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner,<br />How long do most auto-standby subs take to fall asleep? How many times would they wake up with a "thump" in your average DVD film? What noise does it make when it wakes up and how distracting is it?<br />I presume they stay awake during music use

Finally, what is a power on delay?

Thanks,<br />David

[ 21-09-2001: Message edited by: dwsadler1 ]</p>

9. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SteveEX,<br />Does the ASW 100 have an auto-power off/on function? <br />If so ,how long does it take to go to sleep?