• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Views on Curved Screens? 3D? 4K?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

Like many here I am in the market for a new screen and, like many, its been a few years since I brought my last one and haven't kept up with developments. Last time I brought one Panasonic plasmas were top of the tree but that all seems to have gone now o_O

So...

Curved Screens. Many of the latest models seem to have this and I admit it looks good instore. But what do users think? Does it add anything to movies? Does it detract anything from older content (i.e. old TV series in 4:3)? Is it a waste of money?

3D. Worth it? I have a few 3D movies on Blu-ray now and I do find the idea appealing. But is it really worth it?

4K. Again is it worth it? I see a new 4K Blu-ray range is on the way - with the range of initial launch titles looking pretty lacklustre - but I assume this will grow.

Having had Panasonic models for the last few years I was thinking of something like the PANASONIC
VIERA TX55CR430B (or what I assume is its replacement the PANASONIC VIERA TX55CR852B). A good choice or would someone have other recommendations? Budget isn't too much of an issue but its only for a small flat (I have finally bitten the bullet and moved into central town rather than commute from the suburbs each day).

Thanks in advance for any comments/views. :thumbsup:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
So I have a curved UHD 48" Samsung and also a 3D Panny plasma.

UHD: Good, improves HD viewing, as well IMHO.
Curved: Not sure I would buy one again, although it does add a degree of depth and immersion to the picture if you sit quite close - 5' or so, or have a massive screen!
3D: Can't really be bothered with it. To me it all looks like layered cutouts - or just quite false.

Poor SD broadcasts can look hideous on large screens, so we went for 48" in a 25'x18' lounge, with the 42" Panny in the music room, which is 15' x 9'. If all your viewing will be HD and beyond, go larger, but for our family viewing, these sizes work for us.

The Samsung we have - 6 series, suffers badly from light bleed from the edge lit panel. In hindsight, I would have gone for flat and back lit - or even OLED / SUHD, as the black levels in particular are so much better and more even with both these technologies. I also doubt our TV will ever be able to deliver HDR either, as it's an 8 bit panel with limited brightness available.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Cheers noiseboy - really helpful :smashin:

I will be sitting quite close to the screen so, based on the above, I think I will give curved a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom