1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewpia My Thought's At Last

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thanley, Sep 2, 2005.

1. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok as promised here is my review/opinion of the Viewpia 37” LCD TV.

A bit of background info first, I am a home cinema nut and have been since I heard a DD 5.1 soundtrack for the very first time way back in the late 80s. It was actually Aliens at my local fleapit in Dublin. I was blown away, esp. the end sequence where Ripley takes on the queen, you know the bit where she is stomping about in a loader.. Anyways after I got home the first thing I did was to take my little stereo from the bedroom and then hook it up to the VCR downstairs.. I was bitten, and the bite marks are still visible, usually every month when the credit card statement drops through the letter box.. :eek: like most people, I don’t have a fortune to spend so I try and choose carefully and check out all the reviews and opinions I can ( a lot easier now days with this inter webby thingy ) before taking the plunge.. in the old days we only had one or two mags to feed our curiosity.. you youngun’s have it so easy now days 

Like a lot of people in the early days, the idea of home cinema nirvana was the sound, you went from stereo, to pseudo surround, to Dolby surround, and then digital / DTS 5.1 6.1 7.1 etc.. and not much thought went in to picture quality, if you had a 32” TV it didn’t matter because you wanted a big screen, how things have changed. Since the advent of DVD and the huge leap in pic quality over vhs, now days the emphasis has switched from not only quality sound but quality pictures to match.. so after finally reaching what was in my opinion and budget, audio nirvana with the pioneer NS-DV990 my attention turned to my screen..for years I was happy with my Sony 32” fx60 until it died and it was replaced with an inferior fx65u (not my choice but the insurance companies’) I decided to save and buy a plasma. All was well and I had my sights set on a pioneer, that was until sky threw a spanner in the work’s with HDTV ( another story and thread ) so after months of reading many review’s and threads on the plasma forum I was still confused, as I wanted a hi-def screen and most of them were way beyond my budget. So I started to explore LCD screens and again it was all very confusing but I did decide that if I was going to get a plasma or an LCD it was going to be 37” and not 42” as my lounge is not big enough and I wanted something that looked good but also had presence but should also be understated and did not look vulgar.

I did the usual and went to curry’s Dixon’s comet and the Sony shop etc and decided that LCD offered the better picture and was more suited to my tastes and requirements. as I have a little fella who loves his game cube and children’s TV with all their logo’s... so screen burn was a big issue as I had to take in to account that it was also a family TV and as such is left on all the time.. so I checked all the usual websites and e-bay and came across Viewpia, never heard of them and knew nothing about them, apart from they use Phillips glass.. anyways after a lot of humming a harring I decided to take the plunge which was a gamble as I always only ever buy based on solid reviews and positive feedback, but the clincher was I could have the TV for 2 weeks and if I didn’t like it I could return for a full refund less carriage, so I did and it’s still on my wall.. looks like I can now recycle the box it came in.. so why the Viewpia? Well it was 37”, hi-def ready and well within my budget and a 3 yr warranty all for £1300.. plus the feedback on e-bay was all positive and the other clincher was receiving a call from ClearDragon making sure that I was happy to go ahead with the purchase and them ensuring that the TV would be sent on the day I ordered it..

So to the review, the TV has the following inputs.

1: DVI HD Ready (hdmi to dvi cable supplied with the TV )
    1: PC input
    2: Scart not sure if they are RGB or not as it doesn’t say in the manual nor is one of the scart sockets a different color. ( update: website claims scart 1 is RGB )
    1: component
    1 s-video
    1 RCA stereo

Surprisingly there is no RCA out only optical tos-link and no headphone socket so running audio from the TV to an amp may be difficult. Although I would imagine for 99% of users that would not be an issue as most of us feed the audio to our amps either from the sky box or other input source, however it is a major oversight in my opinion as not everyone has a sky or free view box. Ok if you have a video you can run out from there, but still.. I would have expected it as standard.

Outputs: Optical as mentioned above..

Picture quality: SKY
    This is difficult, as it depends on the source being fed. A lot of the sky channels are ok, not great, and it isn’t until you upgrade from CRT to either plasma or lcd that you notice this, I am not sure what the common bit rate is but some are higher than others, to me channel 5 seems to produce a constantly good picture ?? anyways for normal day to day viewing I am happy with the pictures as I have seen worse on other displays and to be honest, not much better..

Picture quality: DVD
    I run my Pioneer 575 via component out to component in on the Viewpia and I have to say it is one of the best quality pics I have ever seen, I was gob smacked. The colours were bright and vibrant, the blacks were black and the grey’s look grey., I can honestly say I have not noticed any big difference from my old CRT.. I am sure there are, but it’s nothing that made me go urghh.. Picture quality via scart is also excellent and the dark scenes in AvP are dark but bright enough so you dont miss any of the action. CGI is fantastic as you would expect from all LCD and Plasmas.

Picture Quality: PC/Game Cube
    Was surprised by this as my lap top is pretty old and if I set my res to 1024x768 I have to pan around the screen, so I always set to 800x600.. I set up on the TV and for the hell of it I switched to 1024x768 and it was scaled so I didn’t have to pan any more.. text and graphics looked sharp and apart from that it looked no different to my 17” desktop LCD monitor.. as I mentioned my lap top is pretty old so no hope in hell of running any HD Demo’s and any movie clips I tried stuttered and jerked ( laptop and not the TV )
    Games on the game cube look excellent.. but I suppose that’s because its on a fairly big screen.. however the first Rouge Squadron star wars game looks fantastic running at 60hz as opposed to the bog standard 50hz.. very sharp and very crisp.. and very little colour bleed.

Sound:
    Not much to say on this.. as I couldn’t hear much difference between the various DSP settings but I can say that the volume is loud..and very little distortion at high levels..but trust me a setting of between 8 and 11 is plenty high..

Pros:
    37” Screen
    Nice surround compared to others.. ( thinking of some Sony lcd’s and the Samsung )
    Excellent PQ (source dependent ) and no juddering in fast scenes or footie..
    Contrast levels are the best I have seen on an LCD
    Price which included 3 yr warranty.
    Excellent customer service from ClearDragon.

Cons:
    You can hear some signal processing on sky at really low volumes..
    Menu's are a pain as they remin in the middle of the screen so you have
    to rely on the outer edges of the picture to calibrate.
    I dont know how to get into the service menu as the manual is very basic.

Anyways I hope that’s been of some use to someone and as you can tell, I wont be getting a job as a reviewer for WHC or HCC in the very near future
    ;)

some pics to follow shortly as need to set up my digi cam s/ware

2. Baloo

Baloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Tempted by the 32" one for £840 delivered. Hows the response rate on the panel? They claim an 8ms one, is this about right?

3. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the 32 inch version and was told it has a 16ms response rate so the 8ms is wrong.

4. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's def 16ms.. with little or no lag on fast moving images..

5. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    ive been looking at this tv me self, but am still trying to decide between this, the 32" ones from samsung,sharp and sagem

do you have any pics of em?

6. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how did you have your gamecube plugged in?

7. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Front AV socket on my amp, and then component out from the amp to the TV.
    I found it easier that way.. the tv has video and audio in so you can connect directly to the tv or use the scart adapter that comes with the cube..

8. Kenji83

Kenji83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the TV have a real HDMI connection or simply a DVI connection?

9. Caprylate

Caprylate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanely mentions in his review that it has DVI with HDCP, but he was provided from the seller (Cleardragon, who is registered on here as EHR, I think) a HDMI convertor allowing him to plug in HDMI with HDCP equipment.

Good review, nice read.

10. pippette

pippette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanley
    just received my viewpia 37 today,and have been reading this thread, wondered if by any chance your sky receiver is the plus version and what code you inputted on your remote control handset, the reply i received from cleardragon is as follows verbitam "Sorry - only the big manufacturers ge those codes." very helpful indeed !!
    the sky helpdesk gave me a list of codes but i suspect they may be lg codes after they prompted me for the make
    looking forward to a reply
    thanks
    pip

11. maximus22

maximus22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the owner of a Viewpia LM-221EB6 LCD TV.Have just installed Freesat using a Humax Foxstat-HDR Satellite HD Digital Recorder.In the Humax User Manual it gives the 4 digit code for Viewpia as 0876. This code was accepted by my universal remote control.Hope this info is of use..

12. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt it,this is a 3 year old thread?

13. maximus22

maximus22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you kpatm,it seems I am a bit lax at dates as well...lol

14. 321ynnel

321ynnel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just thought I pass on some info about repairing Viewpia LCD tv's..
    fault...When powered on the tv has blinking orange led & fails to power up,..first signs of this fault begin with the tv taking longer to power on each day until finally it remains in the blinking orange led state.
    The repair is easy,..
    1..Remove the stand & then the back from the tv to view the psu.
    2..disconnect all cables from the psu & unscrew from tv.
    3..two capacitors need to be replaced on the psu C905 & C908.
    4..on the 32" model LC-32IEB2 the values are C905 330uf 10v & C908 470uf 10v
    5..on the 37" model LC-37IE1 both caps are 1000uf 10v,...I had a few 1000uf 16v about the house & used them