1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewpia 32" lcd by Cleardragon-my views

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bri.s, Aug 8, 2005.

1. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I took delivery of the Viewpia 32" lcd tv on Friday afternoon having ordered it on the Thursday so that in itself was impressive. The box was well designed and packaging was good but who cares about that. After opening the box the first thing that hit me was four scratches not bad ones but scratches just the same on the top back panel. I thought quality control in Holland should have picked this up as you cant really miss them but no fault to Cleardragon for this as it was sealed but ill get back to the scratches later. Before I give my opinions on the set though I should make it very clear that I am no expert on lcd and this is my first new tv since I bought my 36" phillips crt 5 years ago. I dont own any fancy HDMI dvd players so the first thing I did was hook up my cheap Asda price pacific dvd player to the set via scart and stuck in a star wars episode 1 movie. Th PQ was brilliant to say the least but as it came with a svideo cable I put that in and the picture just seemed to get even better good start i thought. I then took it through to the study to hook up the pc via both vga and dvi. First with rgb the output was amazing and after playing with settins a bit I decided the best set up was 1064X768 (these numbers might be slightly out as my mind has gone blank on the exact XXXXxXXX) at 60 refresh, although you couldnt tell much of a difference on 1280x1084 was was also good. So it kicked my 19"tft for a monitor in my opinion anyway. I then put it in the dvi output and to my amazment it was even crisper and clearer and I honestly didnt think it could get any better, although 1 thing i did notice was that I couldnt find any settings that would allow me to use 50 refresh rate and I have read that it is a rate that most HD screens need but like I said im no expert so could easily have missed it. Since I am not going to use it as a pc monitor though I thought I had better work on what was important to me watching it in the bedroom. I took it to the lounge and hooked up the sky box to it which also gave me very good PQ results because I plan to put a box in the bedroom eventually. But to the important bit for me was the rf aerial as this is all I would have in the mean time. I dont have a very good signal where I am so even the excellent phillips crt dosent get the best picture on it, and sure enough the rf signal was not very forgiving, I had now run into problems. But alas over the weekend I have been working on setting up a new aerial in the loft with a booster to run the tellys and I am happy to say that although it is not as crisp and clear as the dvd or pc it is still a very good picture and I am chuffed to bits with it. After visiting currys dixons etc I can honestly say that it has a better picture than nearly all the expensive models in there although that could be because they cant set them up very good. Now the problem with the scratches again I have a dilema, do I live with it because to be honest when it wall mounted you wount see them or have it replaced. There are no dead pixels on this set so if I get it replaced who is to say I would get another set with no dead pixels and I would rather have no dead Pixels than some hidden scratches. Oh and by the way I havent noticed any ghosting either although I havent seen any sports yet. Ihave some questions for the experts but have run out of time so will post back later.
    Bye for now.

2. fathead82

fathead82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great. So got any pictures to share? What res were you running the PC over DVI?

£800 including delivery is very good as well.

3. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I will post some pictures later on when I get back and if others tell me what to look for regarding res on the pc etc I will hook it up and let you all know. I have A X800XL ati graphics card with 2 dvi and another with a ati 9800 pro with 1 vga and 1 dvi incase you need to know that.

4. dippys

dippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read the specs, it mentioned dvbt tuner, did you manage to get the freeview free channels?

5. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    No there is no freeview that I can see anyway. The other option it gives when scanning for channels is cable, but when i try to find channels on that setting it just reverts back to UHF so I dont know what the cable bit means.

6. ehr

ehr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. dippys

dippys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I got the model that has the 21 in it however I think the only difference is a slight design change in the bezel and the specs stay the same. PIP is quite good there are about four different positions for it and it also has a full 50/50 split screen option. There is also a scan option that gives 16 different images but not sure to what purpose, http://photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/?action=view&current=Picture041.jpg here are a few pics I still need to finish the wall fixing so ignore the cables I will hide them later. http://photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/?action=view&current=Picture045.jpg http://photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/?action=view&current=Picture042.jpg http://photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/?action=view&current=Picture040.jpg http://photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/?action=view&current=Picture039.jpg Over all though I am still happy with the tv.

9. GalileoFigaro

GalileoFigaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell us, does PIP extend to any combination of TV + AV + PC input? I haven't been able to find a manual for this model yet. Thanks.

One other thing that worries me slightly is the HDMI via DVI rather than a true HDMI socket - but that might just be me in my ignorance worrying about nothing - after all I've just looked at a Philips model that does the same, i.e. only has a DVI socket. (More research needed.) :confused:

10. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes it does, it has a menu where you choose the imput for the PIP.

11. Mumblesh

Mumblesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This tv sounds good.... but does it suffer any of the common problems of cheaper lcd's?

That's to say
    a) smearing by fast moving images caused by slow response times. It would look as if the picture is taking a little time to catch up with the moving image, things look slightly fuzzy.
    b) dot crawl/noise. Usually an issue with standard def tv signal. Moving images are hit with a large amout of pixelation if present.
    c) Colour issues. White colour looks slighty yellowish or even too bold and like some other colours sometimes do (notably reds) 'bleeds' into others. i.e overlaps on the screen?

I'd be interested to know if it has any of these issues... cos the TV is a fantastic price for the size and having HD capability.