Viewing via one tuner while recording from the other?

B

bigbird05

I'm a newbie, and I suspect this is an old question, but I've searched and not found a definite answer...I've been looking to buy a DVD Recorder with Hard Drive and freeview tner which will allow me to record from my cable provider too. I have Cable TV from Virgin and can get a freeview signal in my area. I've narrowed down to either the Sony RDR-HXD870 or Philips DVDR7260H, and see that they both have analogue tuner and digital tuner. Can I hook up my cable box via the analogue tuner (my cable box outputs an analoguesignal), and receive digital freeview through the digital tuner? If so, can I record from freeview while viewing via the cable box, if all is wired through the DVD Recorder?
Cheers

I'm a newbie, and I suspect this is an old question, but I've searched and not found a definite answer...I've been looking to buy a DVD Recorder with Hard Drive and freeview tner which will allow me to record from my cable provider too. I have Cable TV from Virgin and can get a freeview signal in my area. I've narrowed down to either the Sony RDR-HXD870 or Philips DVDR7260H, and see that they both have analogue tuner and digital tuner. Can I hook up my cable box via the analogue tuner (my cable box outputs an analoguesignal), and receive digital freeview through the digital tuner? If so, can I record from freeview while viewing via the cable box, if all is wired through the DVD Recorder?
Cheers
Welcome to the forum.

You do not actually require an analogue tuner to be able to record Cable.

Your cable box delivers a signal at what is called 'baseband' [ that is: not modulated RF] which is fed directly to the recorder via a scart link.

Thus you do not need a dual analogue / digital tuner device... although it would do no harm to have one.

Normally it is possible to record from the DVDR's internal Freeview tuner whilst watching Cable... but not the other way around. ie If you are recording Cable it is not normally possible to access the freeview tuner within the DVDR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom