1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing VCDs on a pioneer 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Adam M, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

am attempting to watch some vcds recorded from tv (for the purposes of time shifting - ie. a permitted act under the CDPA 1988).

They were actually recorded for me, and while I thought they would be mpegs, they came as vcds.

The odd thing is my pioneer 737 had no problem playing one disc, but seems to struggle with the others. it knows they are vcds and the display on the unit comes up with something like <playing PCM> or the like. Can't remember exactly.

To my knowledge all the vcds were recorded in the same format.

Does anyone know how why they arent all playing, or if there is something I could do to alter settings on the 737?

The system is connected through my denon avc a10se and to a sony hs10 via an s video cable.

When the one disc worked, the picture and sound were fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    any ideas? I thought this would be an easy one.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The acronym is PBC (Playback Control).

Anyhow - a true VCD has a very specific format and structure, including the format and structure of the mpeg files that were used to make it. For example, they have to be 352x288 pixels, 25fps (for PAL) with a constant bitrate 1150kbps.

It is possible to make VCDs using mpeg files that do not conform to this structure. Such a disc is called an XVCD (or perhaps SVCD). These are both 'bastard' formats that may or may not be playable on a given machine. They are not 'industry standard'.

It seems likely that the two discs you have differ in some way. And this may be it.

Otherwise, whatever software was used to write the disc may have done so, badly. I have made many 'coasters' in my time using wholly valid mpeg files - but Roxio Easy CD Deluxe is good at VCD coasters.

You could try:

1: Place disc in PC drive. Using Windows Explorer, look for folder on the disc called mpegav and copy all the *.dat files off.

2: Force-open the *.dat files using media player OR

3: Download the mpeg converter from www.tmpgenc.net and re-convert the *.dat files into a standard VCD format and then re-make the CD (preferably using Nero).

4. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks,

that was very helpful.

All I need to do is do that 44 times and I will have them all done!

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is that 44 discs, or 44 files?

For each disc, you can copy the .dat files 'in one go' using Windows Explorer.

With TMPGENC you can set up a 'batch' process to do the re-conversion. You have to set each job up individually, but can then leave the PC to get on with it (overnight if necessary - TMPGENC has a 'shutdown when complete' option.

And, with Nero, you can drag multiple files into the VCD layout at once to make each new/replacement VCD.

6. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds like a good idea.

it is actually 44 discs.

Was planning to copy them onto dvd.

any idea of a programme that will enable me to separate the files into tracks so that each episode that i record per disk will be selectable from a non pc dvd player (eg the one in my car!)

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think tmpgenc has an mpeg 'cropping' feature. eg: make a new file from this one, starting at frame number 2006 and ending at 25002 (you select the frames from a preview window with a slider). Never used it though.

8. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This place DVDRHELP is a goldmine for vcds, svcds, dvds, tools, tutorials...should have everything you need

Graham