1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing TV/VHS on standard Panny PW5 plasma.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stigdu, Jun 16, 2003.

1. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi all -

I bought a new Panasonic which I shall be connecting to my Pioneer DVD player with component-component leads, but is there a way I could watch VHS tapes on it, or normal TV? I didn't get a tuner because it would have bumped up the cost rather a lot.

A friend of mine at work says if I get a bog-standard VHS player, I can watch VHS films on it, and also use the VHS player to tune in the TV stations. Is this true??

Also, if the above is true, would I benefit from buying decent connection leads, and what would I need?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Stacy. (A film enthusiast, but techno-newbie!)
    :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You can use a VCR as a TV tuner.
    You will need a scart to 3 phono lead (signal into scart). If you have the plasma speakers then connect the yellow phono to the plasmas composite input and the white & red phonos to the sound inputs.
    If no plasma speakers and useing an AV amp for sound then get a scart to video only phono lead (signal into scart). Then get a pair of phono leads from the L/R audio out of VCR to AV amp.
    If the VCR is a S-VHS unit then swap the video phono connecter above for an S-Video plug.

I would recommend getting a fairly good quality set of leads, but at the end of the day you are feeding a low quality analogue/VHS signal to the plasma so don't go overboard on the leads.

If you want good quality TV then why not spend only slightly more than a VCR and get a Freeview box. Get a RGB>Plasma box from www.rgbtosvideo.com and connect to that with a scart and from box to plasma with a VGA (computer monitor) lead.

Mark.

3. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks for the reply Mark.

So could I effectively buy a netgem freeview box for about £100, and one of those RGB-PLASMA boxes, then just the 2 cables, and everything would be a-ok in terms of viewing TV programmes??

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, it is as easy as that. This is what I have got, and the results are really very good.

Mark.

5. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Many thanks, Mark. Most helpful. :)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    He's bang on with that, the picture is usually better than the panny tuner, and more channels for less money too. For the same money as the tuner you could consider a philips DVDR890, RGB output, analogue TV tuner and DVD recording as a bonus. You'd still want the RGB-VGA box I should think though, as if you still want to view VHS tape you won't be able to use the s-video output.... when will they put that right? Almost spoils an otherwise stunning product.