1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing the Pioneer PDP-433MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JimmyMc, Dec 23, 2002.

1. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All..

I posted some questions about the Panny 5 series a while back and have since made up my mind to go for the Pioneer instead - subject to a viewing of course.. it was the resolution that changed my mind as I'll be using it with my PC a fair bit (remote keyboard & mouse from couch=extremely lazy user!)

My nearest stockist.. Sevenoaks Hi-Fi, in Sevenoaks only has the HDE on display - I know the MXE is a better quality model - if I'm sold by the HDE.. will I be ok just buying the MXE 'blind'?

Only thing I'm a bit paranoid about is the blacks aren't supposed to be as black and the contrast isn't as good - at least on paper..

Another couple of questions.. can all inputs be used at the same time? I'll need (to begin with) to use the S-Video and Composite at the same time.. something you can't do on the Panny..

Last question.. anyone know when next year the MXE will turn up in silver?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, James

2. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Jimmy,

I have the Panasonic plasma but also could not get a demo of the *exact* model I bought, as I went for the commercial version as opposed to the consumer model. This is the same as the HDE/MXE situation - the MXE is a commercial model so there will be relatively few places that will stock them for display, most will have the HDE.

I would have a demo of the HDE if you can't travel to someone displaying the MXE, if you're happy with the HDE picture then the MXE is supposed to be slightly better so I'm sure you'll be delighted.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi James,

I saw the Pioneer 433MXE in action last week at Sevenoaks in Leeds, and I was blown away by the quality even though they were only using an S-video feed. Why they weren't using the Denon 3800 they had in the shop to feed it progressive scan, I'll never know. As you were impressed by the HDE model, you won't be disappointed by the MXE. I'm sure that all connections can be in place at the same time. I was told that the silver model would be out sometime next year - no definite date I'm afraid. I was going to wait for a silver one, but after seeing the dark coloured MXE I've decided not to wait any longer :) Hope this helps.

Steve

5. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,

I'm not that familiar with the Pioneer range as I'm a dedicated Panny Guy, but I did notice in another thread that RedRose has just bought a 503MXE in "Silver".

This may or may not be relevent?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

6. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a horrible feeling that's just for the 50", not the 43".. I'm hoping someone will tell me otherwise.. I can't justify shelling out £250 for a 3rd-party bezel!

Which model Panny do you have? I am so umming and ahrrring between the two!! (If I went for a panny it'd have to be the HD model for the higher res)..

I still don't know what the upgrade slot in the Pio will allow us to do in the future..

Oh gawd.. it was easy when all we had to do was choose between black/white & colour, with and without teletext!!

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi James,

Yes you're right, only the 50" is available in silver at the moment. KBDVD has just bought a 50" Panny, but I'll let him talk to you about that :p Check out www.keydigital.com for details on the card which is out next Feb/March.

Steve

8. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 433 MXE for about a month now, and having seen the Panny and the 433 I have to admit there is not a lot of difference in the "black" bits, as far as I am concerned at least.

Beside the possbility of expanding the 433 easily, I am also very pleased NOT having chosen the panny due to some of the threads regarding the buzzing noice and the thread I was reading the other day about how regular the panny goes down compared to other makes. That would worry me if I had one of those.

I have the composite connection as well as the VGA - RGB JS box, and all is very well with that.

Regards,

PVR

9. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi JimmyMc,

(Thanks for setting the scene for my reply Dutch! ;) )

I've become the proud owner of a TH-50PHW5BX 50" Panny! (Plus an original (read "prefered") style pedestal stand courtesy of Dutch!)

After 1 weeks use I can state that the panel emits a buzz. This is however, inaudible when the soundtrack of a movie is being played at even its lowest level. In a totaly quiet room you can hear the buzz, but so what?

The same statement is true for fan noise.

In light of the above, in my experience so far, the above two issues are non-issues as far as I'm concerened. Maybe I've just been very lucky, and maybe time will change things, but for now I can state that should the buzz & fan noise levels remain at there present level then I'm very happy!

As for PQ!....WOW!

Upgrading from a Native rate (for R1 DVD) 853 x 480 NEC 42mp2, I was concerned that the scaling of R1 DVD images to my new panels native 1366 x 768 resolution may betray some visible anomalies. I needn't have worried! The panel does a wonderful job and, probably just down to the increased image size, I'm spotting small details that I never saw before.

Black levels are of course fantastic.

Without wishing to offend any Pioneer owners, in my opinion the Panasonic displays look less "textured" & less "processed". To my eyes it's like looking at a processed 100hz picture (Pioneer) against a cleaner 50hz picture (Panasonic). I don't see any flicker on the 5 series Panny's but then again, funnily enough, using my above analogy, I never see flicker on my Sony 50hz CRT TV, and I always see artifacts on 100hz sets.

As I had also decided to go 50" I only had to decide between the old 30 model and the newer 5 model as no standard resolution panel exists in this size. The 10 bit video processing, 3:2 pulldown, increased grey scale steps and easy future upgradability of the terminal board all made me decide upon the newer 5 model in the end.

Had I have been going 42" I would still have probably decided to go down the HD route as I have one eye on HD-DVD, which I'm convinced will become a market reality within the next two years, and the other on D-Theatre which I may experiment with in 2003.

Having now seen standard Region 1 DVD being scaled by my panel to it's 1366 x 768 format I can assuredly say that there is no significant degredation being introduced by the panel and as such, I'm glad to report that IMHO, opting for a High resolution panel now will not mean that you end up with a poor relation to the standard definition panel with our present DVD's.

The final benefit of my HD panel is that I can now sit much closer to the panel and see no pixel structure! This is a real plus point and a major advantage given that this is a 50" screen and my old screen was a 42", the combination of the larger screen size and the ability to sit closer means that I'm now able to experience a much more cinematic experience as the screen fills a much larger area of my field of vision!.....Thinking about this, if I had realised in advance that this improvement would be as marked as it is, I would have bought this screen on this strength alone. It is of course magnified for me as I've gone 50" but will still hold true for the 42" HD display over the 42" SD panel.

I'm sure that once HD-DVD becomes a reality there will be many Standard resolution panel owners that will regret not having gone down the HD route when faced with the choice now......mind you, CarlB will probably be able to offer a good counter argument at this point!......Carl?

ps. I copied most of the above from a couple of posts that I made on another thread, sorry if you've seen it before! I just didn't fancy writing it all out again.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    KBDVD,

I'm just gonna say 'nice post'. :D My counter points have dragged enough threads off topic for this year so I won't do the same here!

All I will say is that I viewed the Pioneer and Panasonic models side-by-side when looking to buy and wholly agree with the vast majority of points raised by yourself.

Jimmy,

Having said that, the difference is small and also depends upon your viewing environment. I have a dedicated cinema room and watch movies in near darkness with controlled lighting. For me this ruled out the Pioneer, as the blacks were *very* grey when you reduced contrast/brightness levels for viewing under these conditions. The Panasonic was vastly better in these regards.

For viewing under normal daylight with a higher contrast image (and by this I mean contrast in the image, not the contrast control) you would be hard pushed to notice differences unless you are really looking. Hard. There is certainly not enough of a problem for you to get home and think you've made a foolish decision!

Whichever you buy I am sure you'll be delighted to own one of the best plasmas currently on the market.

PS. KBDVD - what's your viewing distance from your panel? Just wondering - I sit about 10ft from my 42"

11. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    KBDVD, glad to hear you finally ended your torment and ordered one. May I ask how much and where from?
    I've discovered something else about the Panny which is connected with its buzzing. Whenever I try to listen to FiveLive in, say, the shower (which I do - hey it takes all sorts) there is a lot of RF interference generated by the screen. This is easily traced because when I switch off the screen the interference stops. All I can say is the PSUs on the Pannys must be pretty poorly designed. I really hope it's better on the Pio :confused:
    For gawd's sake, they fixed HT buzzing on car ignition circuits 20 years ago. You'd think a £5K hi-tech gadget could have HT suppressors fitted!
    I think I'll do a poll.

12. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh, aah, err, you can't do a poll here. It's just on the American forum. Darn!

13. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Carl / RedRose,

Yeah it's nice to have joined the clan!

RedRose, I paid £5,999.00 for a UK (BX) model including the RCA based component terminal board. (which was supplied separatly and required fitting.) I purchased it form "Let's GO digital" who are based in Plymouth in Cornwall and who were a pleasure to deal with. They delivered "next day" for free which was nice, but they used "Business Link" as the courier, not a dedicated service. As such, it was a one man delivery! (and he wasn't a happy bunny.) As I was home this wasn't a problem, but if it had just been my wife in, I may well have ended up with a damaged unit. This is worth knowing for any prospective customers of theirs.

Carl, I agree with your observations about viewing conditions.

Like you I always view my panel in total or near total darkness, and I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that it is under these conditions that the Panny's performance has the edge.

In full on daylight or electric light the Pioneer does make a very fine job of displaying images which retain a good degree of visual information and impact. In many respects this does in fact make the Pioneer the better "all round" performer for those people that are looking for a panel to effectively replace their crt tv and who plan to use it as such, ie, throughout the day with broadcast material etc.

In addition, I believe that the Pioneer is more tolerent of "poorer" quality signals (ie, Digital tv etc) and makes a better job of displaying these signals to an acceptable standard. I believe it's greater input flexibility also betrays the desire on the part of the guy's over at Pioneer to produce "as near as can be," a viable alternative to crt television. This does of course mean that compromises may have had to be made in "out and out / ideal world" optimum performance settings.

I only use my panel for DVD use, having retained my trusty 50hz Sony KV-S 3432U 34" 4:3 crt for tv duties. Therefore I had the luxury of choosing my panel based only on it's capabilities when used in "ideal" conditions and with "optimum" (DVD via component) signal purity. In these conditions I believe that the Panasonic models have the edge, probably because this is what they have been designed to excel at.

We used to sit approx 12' to 15' from my old NEC 42MP2 but have found that with the new 50" Panny 8' to 10' produces fantastic images with no visible structure...... quite a bonus this!

I'm lucky to have such an understanding wife as although our front room is reasonably large, having both of these units in it, all be it at opposite ends, does make quite a visual statement!)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have the Sharp 50" (which is the Pioneer clone) and all I can say is I get absolutely no buzzing whatsoevere and absolutely no fan noise. In fact, I am guessing the fans are either temperature controlled in this model or broken :p as I have never (ever) heard them come on. My unit is wall mounted so has plenty of ventilation all around it.

As to picture quality, well I have posted many times on this forum that I always have been and continue to be blown away by the picture quality. Many friends have commented (demoing things like Monster inc - a great one to see how good your display device really is) it's just like looking at a moving photograph. It really is that good and I don't just say that because I bought it. (Hell at the price I paid I could sell it tomorrow and make a profit - thanks canoehq :D )

If the Pioneer is the same as this Sharp (and I believe it is identical in workings) then I assure you you will not be disappointed.

15. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    KBDVD,

I also only use the screen for DVD (and gaming) and chose the panel based on ideal viewing conditions with purely a DVD source in mind.

I was interested in your viewing distance as I cannot view at more than 10ft distance due to room size, and when I come to upgrade my screen in a year or two I was wondering if I would be able to get away with a 50" model.

It sounds like I could! :D

16. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.. I just went for a demo of the Pioneer.. (the HDE admittedly).. alongside the Panny..

Panny wins on that one.. then the bloke in the store goes and shows me the new Hitachi 42PMA400E.. blimey.. I wouldn't say it blew my socks off when compared to the other two.. but I did think it was a better performer at first viewing..

I'm going to arange a 'proper' demo in their dedicated room rather than hung on the wall with the others etc..

Does anyone know about the new Hitachi? - I've jumped in on the following thread with some questions:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57447

I did hear some fan noise up close but in the shop it's difficult to tell if it'll be a problem at home.. someone in another thread mentioned that Hitachi are looking at 'fixing' it somehow..

Comments on the Hitachi in this or the other thread will be appreciated!

Sorry to ask so many Q's and then change my mind on the model!!

Cheers, JimmyMc