viewing on 2.35:1 screen with 16.9 pj...

DanHorse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

So if i want to use a 2.35:1 screen (as the vast majority of what i watch is widescreen dvds) will i get a greyish light spillage above and below the screen as the pj will be 16.9?

i dont have a batcave, magnolia walls..... so will this be noticable? id rather not go the anamorpic lense route as the seems a dearth of budget pjs that will present the right aspect ratio for the lense to compress

thanks

depending on the PJ then yes you will. a better screen with dark boarders will help alot though.

people do do it

depending on the PJ then yes you will. a better screen with dark boarders will help alot though.

people do do it

do you mean a masking system? i hate the thought of a greyish second border on a 16.9 screen

normally when you buy a projector screen they will come with a black boarder. some cheaper ones dont.

if they dont come with a boarder big enough for a 16:9 screen to fix a 2.35 image in then you are not gonna get a crisp boarder with no overspill

what i have done with my screen is to attach velcro along the bottom of the screen, when watch in a 2/35/1 movie on my 16/9 screen i attach a sheet of black velevet along the botttom to the velcro, i then shift the image from the projector as far up as i can till it comes to the top black border, i then pull up the screen a bit untill the overspill of light hits the velvet and now i watch the movie its proper ratio with no black bars evident and it looks much better.

I hate the borders too so I'm going anamorphic this year.

The Iscan HD scaler (which you can pick up S/H for less than £300) will vertically stretch the image and compress 16:9 to 4:3 to work with an anamophic lens or just put BTB 'borders' around the unused part of the image if the prism is too much effort.

Not too sure about a 'dearth' of PJ's either. I thought 'letterbox' was quite a common AR setting.

Hi Dan,

If you use the zoom method on a 2.35:1 screen, you'll probably notice the black bars top and bottom being projected onto the walls during dark scenes moreso than brighter scenes, as your eyes adapt to the dark to let more light in and the black bars become more noticeable (I had a 4:3 pj and a 16:9 screen many years ago doing much the same as you want to do and found this to be the case). If you can electronically (within the pj) move the image up so all of the black bars are at the bottom (if you get my meaning), you may be able to hide the overspill with some black felt speaker cloth placed temporarily under the screen.

As has already been said, a lot of people use the zoom method rather than go the anamorphic lens route and they seem pretty happy.

Gary

if your handy with DIY then you can always make hinged shelves that lower/rise into place.

or even a drop down cutout to fall infront of the pj (not too close that it catches fire!)

imo CIH with curtains is the only real way to go as it will give you a much bigger picture.

After reading quite a bit on this i decided to try a masking system of my own. It took me about an hour to do. It needs to be tidied up a lil. Im gonna attach some velcro later on so i can use it as and when. It definitly looks better without the annoying black bars. Heres some pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 517
I hate the borders too so I'm going anamorphic this year.

The Iscan HD scaler (which you can pick up S/H for less than £300) will vertically stretch the image and compress 16:9 to 4:3 to work with an anamophic lens or just put BTB 'borders' around the unused part of the image if the prism is too much effort.

Not too sure about a 'dearth' of PJ's either. I thought 'letterbox' was quite a common AR setting.

maybe im a little confused about the 'letterbox' aspect, does this get rid of the black being 'projected' causing greyish bars by not using the pixels in the bars? so that only the letterbox image is being projected, not the bars?

And thanks guys for the info and advice, its much appreciated :thumbsup:

hi!!
just save up and buy the carada masquerade for around £1300 plus shipping.
very very nice.
best regards
nick.

hi!!
just save up and buy the carada masquerade for around £1300 plus shipping.
very very nice.
best regards
nick.
I thought that Carada weren't willing to ship the Masquerade overseas.

maybe im a little confused about the 'letterbox' aspect, does this get rid of the black being 'projected' causing greyish bars by not using the pixels in the bars? so that only the letterbox image is being projected, not the bars?

:

It expands the image vertically so that no black bars are showing. Without optical correction it will stretch the image so that a circle would be projected as an ellipse and people are taller and thinner.

Mmmmmmm

I am starting to get slightly confused...

I know,a nd understand that whilst most mainstream TV is made and sent in a 16:9 format, many films are made in a wilder ws aspect ratio. As such wathcing a film that is made in other formats will leave black bars above & below the screen. This is indeed the case on my plasma.

So If I were to invest in a 16:9 electric (or manual) screen, then on these films, there will also be black bars...

Are there any easy &quick fixes to enlage the picture whilst maintianing the 'circle'?

Adrian

It expands the image vertically so that no black bars are showing. Without optical correction it will stretch the image so that a circle would be projected as an ellipse and people are taller and thinner.

ugh, not for me dude!! im a purist! the point i was making earlier was that there is a dearth of budget PJs that stretch the image to use with an anamorphic lense......

Mmmmmmm

I am starting to get slightly confused...

I know,a nd understand that whilst most mainstream TV is made and sent in a 16:9 format, many films are made in a wilder ws aspect ratio. As such wathcing a film that is made in other formats will leave black bars above & below the screen. This is indeed the case on my plasma.

So If I were to invest in a 16:9 electric (or manual) screen, then on these films, there will also be black bars...

Are there any easy &quick fixes to enlage the picture whilst maintianing the 'circle'?

Adrian

hey Adrian! from what i am gathering, the options are:

use the zoom, but put up with black grey bars above above and below the image and screen, unless you mount black masks.

or get a pj with the stetch aspect ratio, and use an amamorphic lense to compress it down again to the correct widescreen aspect ratio, so as to use the complete chips pixels and lose the black bars with a 2.35:1 screen.......

ive just ordered an HD65 and will construct a screen with wide enough borders to lose the grey/black borders the pj will deliver with widescreen dvd movies. then later think of getting a scaler and anamorphic lense......

I thought that Carada weren't willing to ship the Masquerade overseas.

hi!!
i have no idea on that i dont own a masquerade but i do own a carada screen, i thought that they were well packed when shiped so i dont understand why they wouldnt unless its due to size...
like most things ill bet you can get it shiped for a price...
best regards
nick.

ive just sent carada an email so will post the reply.

You may be able to use an image zoom function (not to be confused with the optical zoom) to enlarge the image equally to fill the 16:9 screen, but you'll lose image information at the sides. The other dissadvantage is that you're enlarging the image so the image pixels may start to look bigger and more 'chunky'. That's what I found when I first tried using the zoom function and one of the reasons I went the anamorphic lens route.

Gary

hi!!!
baggy you are indeed correct m8:thumbsup:
this is the reply i recieved...
Hey Nick, good to hear from you!! It is true that we are not shipping the Masquerade outside North America at this time. We do expect to ship them worldwide in the not-too-distant future, but at this time I can’t say exactly when that will be (hopefully in the next 2-3 months). I’ll try to remember to send you an email when we do start shipping to the UK so that you can post a notice on AVFORUMS.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything else. Thanks again Nick for being a Carada customer and I hope you have a great 2008.

best regards
nick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom