Viewing my PC Screen Through My LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by supermotorider, Apr 26, 2007.

1. supermotorider

supermotorider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been racking my brains for a few months now and now that im off work for a couple of weeks I want to get to the bottom of the problem.
    In my room I currenty have my TV wall mounted, my 360 and everyting else below it, including my pc monitor, I want to get rid of the monitor and be able to view my pc screen on my LCD tv. the Tv is a 32" Philips LCD - Product Code - 32PF7531D/10.
    It has 2 HDMI ports, 2 or 3 scart ports and a load of audio ports.
    Ive tried connecting the pc tower via a dvi to hdmi converter and then added a dvi to vga converter onto the end fo that, to no avail.
    If anyone knows how I can do this itd be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Gav

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    I think much will depend on your PC's output. Many graphics cards have both VGA (analogue) and DVI outputs. What's yours got?

3. supermotorider

supermotorider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV out and VGA, Thats all its got :(

4. supermotorider

supermotorider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cable is it that I need to get to connect from the TV out to the tv input on my lcd ?
    Cheers
    Gav

5. supermotorider

supermotorider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please can someone help me :(

6. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    a low quality but pretty sure bet would be s-video (also knows as svhs).
    You can get s-video and, even worse, composite from the tv out of your graphics card. There will surely be a composite input on your tv (a yellow phono connector) and probably an s-video (small black circle with pin holes).
    If not then you can get an s-video to scart cable that will definitely work with on one of your scart ports.

I am not positive about the problem with your current DVI hdmi vga setup.

DVI to HDMI should definitely work as all its doing is changing the connector. The only thing that can possibly go wrong here is what type of DVI cable u have as there are three types, the safest bet is a DVI-D (d = dual link). The cheapest ones are DVI-I which are only one way links.
    I ran a Sony HS10 projector which has a DVI input on it with a 10m DVI-D cable running from a Radeon9800se AIW card using a VGA to DVI adaptor as I didn't have a DVI socket either, and that worked fine.
    So that may indicate the cable you have is not that great, but I suspect it's possible that the graphics card you are using is not really designed for DVI and that because I was using an AIW (all in wonder) card designed for media use it was designed for uses like this.

Do you have a DVI pc monitor or something else you can try out the VGA to DVI convertor from your graphics card with, and also maybe another hdmi device to test the cable with.
    Did you get the VGA>DVI convertor with your graphics card ? Do you know what graphics card you have?

You are sure it is not working at all right? Have you switched the TV to the right source for HDMI?
    If you have 2 VGA outputs on your graphics card and you are still using your original socket for your monitor, have you activated the second output?

If there any sign of it being connected at all?