Viewing jpegs on my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tspencerj, May 10, 2004.

1. tspencerj

tspencerj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after some advice. I recently purchased a Freecom Portable II external cd-rw, with Adaptec Easy CD 4. I saved some jpegs onto a cd-r disc and put them into my DVD player. The display on the player just said 'no disc'? I know that my DVD player accepts jpegs, because I viewed a friends holiday photos from a disc on it. After some research on the Internet, I see that maybe I need special software when burning the jpegs onto the disc, in order for the DVD player to recognise them. Can anyone please offer me some advise. I see that Roxio seems to be a player in this field. Also, I'm not sure if anyone can help but I am also having trouble getting my new external CD-RW to talk to my PC. It keeps saying 'device not ready'. It did work for a while, but then stopped. I have re-installed it a number of times and checked the driver too, but no joy. I even downloaded a patch from Microsoft regarding some USB devices not being recognised, but this didn't work either. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,180
    I wouldn’t mind knowing myself. I tried using Nero but I too got the message No Disc. :lease:

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Can you both post what dvd players you have as some will accept jpegs burned straight to disk and some won't.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    AFAIK most DVD players can not read jpeg files off a disk.
    For most players you will need to burn the pictures to a CD in the VCD format (SVCD may also work but yet again the specs of the player will need to be checked). Most, if not all burning programs should be able to create (S)VCD's.

tspencerj,
    as for connecting your external CD-RW drive. How is it connected to the PC - you did mention USB, but is it USB1.1 or 2.0? Also is the drive self powered or does it take its power from the PC? Is it connected directly to the PC or via a hub? If via a hub is the hub powered or does it take its power from the PC? Is the drive visable in 'Device Manager'? Sorry for all the questions, but they might help to narrow doen the problem.

I would suggest you try connecting it directly to a USB port on the PC and not via a hub.

Mark.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,180
    Pioneer 565.

I have had a freebie CD that it played stills even brought a menu up.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Having a quick read of the 565 suggests it should work fine with JPGs, hgow are you currently burning them?

Do you have the instructions for the dvd player which should tell you how it needs to be done?