1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing Jpeg photos on Panasonic E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GASJKH2, Nov 21, 2004.

1. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I still view JPEG photos if I burn them to DVD disc with my PC on the Panasonic E85

This DVD recorder looks good but has no JPEG facility according to website.

I am a beginner and need help, otherwise Tosh XS32 is next best I suggest?

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems not. See 4th post in http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165198&highlight=jpeg

The Pioneers will read JPEGs from any PC CD-ROM. You put in the CD and you can run all the JPEGs on it as slide shows folder by folder.
    They are all made to fit height or width of TV (whichever happens first so there's no distortion), so it's advisable to have decent resolution.
    Images 1024x576 will fill a 16:9 TV with good quality image.
    I don't know how the Tosh operates/presents JPEGs

3. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You either need the E95 with JPEGS on DVD-RAM or you need to write your pictures to a VCD on your PC instead.

4. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only made one test, but it seems that my Pioneer 720 takes ages to load a picture a 5 Mpixels picture (about 10-15 seconds). And if picture is portrait mode, it simples refuses to read it.
    Cheap DVD player do a better work here.

Can anyone confirm this?

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
  6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    On the first part, a 5M picture is very big. I'm currently scanning 35mm slides then editing them to 1024x576 pixels. They are around 150K.
    No problems with portrait format which I just edit to get the best crop to 576 high.

If you have some pics that can't be read at all they are probably in JPEG Progressive format, which the Pioneers won't read. JPEGs must be Baseline. See page 10 of Pioneer manual.

This may not be quite the forum for this, however....
    If you are using photo editing PC software then you will almost certainly be able to change the resolution and have a number of JPEG options for saved files so they are suited for TV viewing. You could use this to convert unsuitable JPEGs if you wish.
    I would assume that there is no point going beyond the highest resolution around for Plasma or LCD screens hence my choice of 1024x576 even though I have CRT TV.

Don't know about other DVD players/recorders abilities/limitations, except Toshiba manual implies possible need for EXIF.

7. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eddyad, thanks for you complete answer.
    My question is because I have a recorder, thus this is the 'right' forum... :D

To me, there's no point scaling down pictures as the main use is to have them right from camera->cd just to have a quick look with family and friend. That said, I might use it from time to time.
    You are right: there's no point going to higher resolutions as TV (LCD, Plasma, etc) don't have a 'low' celling concerning resolution.

To create a real album, I'm using specific software - Ulead PictureShow(thanks Kevo, I'll try Memories On Tv).

Still a 'disappointment', as cheap players show up my 5Mp photos very fast. Not enough to get me frustrated, thought. :smashin:

8. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Pio 520 loads pcs slow as well :boring:

9. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also tried 3Mp picts, and it keeps slow.