1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing High Def trailers etc on my tv-any hardware available?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by chuffster2005, Jul 16, 2005.

1. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Is there such a piece of hardware that will let me watch High Def software that plays via Windows media Player(i.e-trailers/T2 Extreme dvd etc)without me having to physically link my PC to my Sammy DLP tv?One that would allow me to view"proper"HDTV with full digital sound etc?What would I need?

2. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks squire!

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Or you could be one of the first around here to try this

5. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Are these all in one solutions,or do I need various bits and bobs for my PC(Sorry,not that clued up on all this!)?

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Well, for the Pinnacle ShowCenter 200, all you need is a network connection between your PC and the media streaming device. You also need to run a media server on your PC, and the SC200 comes with Pinnacle's own media server software. There is also alternative media server software out there. Note the the SC200 has in-built wireless (802.11g) network, so doesn't need any physical connection to your PC.

You'll also want a really big hard disk in your PC to store all that HiDef media. Alternatively, with the SC200 a USB2 hard disk can be connected directly to the SC200, taking the PC out of the loop completely. Note that with this approach, you'll be limited to media that's a maximum of 4gb each file.

7. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  8. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm also looking for a media player that can play HD files (DivX HD and WMV) from recorded media, i.e. DVD-R.

Most of the media players available do not have disc drives, therefore they need to be networked to a PC to get the most out of them, i.e. Showcenter 200 and Roku 1000.

From what I've been told I should be able to use the Avel Linkplayer 2 using it's DVD for playback of all files, am I correct? If so, thats exactly what I'm looking for!

9. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Yes the Linkplayer2 will play HD files from a DVD or USB2 harddrive connected directly. So will the Buffalo LinkTheatre I linked to earlier in the thread...

10. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks scumball!

Do you have the Buffalo player? If so, does it play all files (e.g. HD files in WMV, DivX, TS with AC3 5.1) from the DVD drive without any hiccups?

I've got alot of HD clips that I simply want to burn to DVD-R and play through the component output. If the Buffalo will do the trick for £154 from a UK supplier I'll order one!

11. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I haven't got one - I ordered a Linkplayer2 before finding out about the Buffalo, for the price it looks good. It uses the same chipset and looks very similiar cosmetically to the Linkplayer2 - but from reading some posts on the avsforums the Linkplayer2 has better firmware making the machine (currently) more reliable and with a few more features (like wmapro audio).

No doubt if the Buffalo is kept up to date by its technical support it will become a serious rival (and one that is officially available in the UK unlike the Linkplayer2) - much like the mysterious Snazzio Network DVD HD & Sensonic Z500 touted in other threads on here...

12. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    eBuyer are having a laugh aren't they - nearly 17 grand for the Showcentre 200!

13. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm tempted to pay the extra and go for the Linkplayer. Are you happy with the results scumball? Do you use it networked or the inbuilt disc drive?

14. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Should be £141+vat. Similar price at dabs.com, where I bought mine.

15. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I'll let you know when I get it! A couple of people on here have got it, and like it...

16. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm pretty tempted to order one this week. Have you got much HD media to use on it?

17. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Slowly building it up - but on a 1mb line it is slooow....these are BIG files. As soon as funds allow I think a 300gb external drive will go nicely with the AVeL - otherwise it will be constant disc swapping - Gladiator is on 5 DVDs!

18. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Snazio SZ1350 will do this: http://www.snazio.com/Links/Net DVD Cinema(model).htm

However, all these players use the same chip, and this chip can only decode HD material with bitstreams lower than 16Mbit. This excludes alot of HD material :mad:

19. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    The Snazio is not readily available in the UK yet either....I'm pretty sure the AveL will play all currently available HD streams inc. 1080i 19mb/s....it's all in the firmware not just the chipset as the comparisons between the AveL and Buffalo units on avsforums will attest to...

20. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How good will the PC need to be to play HI Def stuff through one of these wireless network players - and how good does it need to be if the PC is hooked up by wires to the plasma?

21. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    If the PC is just working as a server for the data to stream to a network media player and not having to perform any transcoding then it doesn't need to be hugely powerful. The data rates for compressed HD are similar to those for standard def DV - so if you can record a DV stream from a camcorder for editing (which even my 733MHz Celeron Vaio can cope with) then you're probably OK.

You will need a 10base100 Ethernet connection - and a fast hard drive (7200) wouldn't hurt.

The requirements for decoding HD on a PC for display with a plasma or similar connected to the PC are much greater. You need a reasonably fast PC and a decent video card. Much greater requirements - which is one of the reasons why network players are so popular (because they do the video decoding in hardware - whereas a PC uses software with a possible bit of help from a video card hardware accelerator)

22. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    So - if i buy the showcenter or a similar product, and hook it up to my Hi def plasma (which i am about to buy), then i can play hi def content through my standrad PC on it?

Right...... bets start looking at where to d/l all this hi def content then!!!!!!!

23. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Yes, that's exactly why I chose the ShowCenter 200, because my PC simply isn't up to the task of playing HiDef material. My PC is only a 2.2ghz celeron, and copes perfectly with:
    - Encoding VOBs to DivX.
    - Downloading HiDef material from the web.
    - Streaming media to the ShowCenter 200.
    all at the same time.

The use of wireless (802.11g) for the ShowCenter 200 connection even means the PC can remain in my office (where it belongs) and the SC200 is by the TV where it belongs.

24. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Escellent - only problem is,im also after a new DVD player. Ideally i'd love an all in one solution rather than having to buy them seperately..... i've posted a seperate message asking this in the DVD forum, but do you know if the Buffalo LinkTheater High-Definition Wireless Media Player is multi region?

Or any player like the showcenter that does have a DVD drive and is multi region?