Viewing Height

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Drinkstrader, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Drinkstrader

Drinkstrader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any views on what height a plasma should be at for best viewing?

I currently have mine on a proper AV stand with the base on the plasma 68cm above the floor. I'm thinking of wall mounting though above a fireplace (not used), which will bring it to 130cm from floor to base. I'll only be around 2.5m away from it, and thinking I may get a sore neck!

Also can you wall mount, in modern homes with flimsy dry plaster board (albeit an outside wall).

Anyone got this sort of set up and thinks it works/looks fine?

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i think you will find all your answers here,
    although these questions have been asked so many times before.Let me google that for you

3. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You should really be aiming to have the middle of the screen at eye level. That's without doubt IMO the best and most comfortable viewing position.

I'm regularly out walking the dog and happen to glance through someones front window to see their LCD or Plasma mounted on a wall ridiculously high. I just can't see why anyone would want it like that.

There seems to be a mindset of 'I've got a screen that i can mount on the wall and so that's what i'm going to damn well do'...regardless of whether or not they really should be. :suicide:

4. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My mums got her bravia about 5 ft high with no tilt on its stand as it sits on a fireshelf ( no fire mind lol ) and a crap SD picture ! was a 1700 tv and there happy to pay sky 50 quid a month to boot ! Anyone-elses parents annoy them with their AV choices when you know they could do
    better !

Sorry back on topic, im wallmounting my tv soon and my eye level will be at around 1 third of the screen up from the bottom. i havto do this to accomodate floorstanding speakers and will have tilt function so hope that will be ok.

yours

steve

5. Dj1988

Dj1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really give you a technical explanation but just make sure you don't mount it too high! I know from first hand experience watching my projector on the wall above my TV that you get a neck ache constantly looking up (even slightly above eye level). I just didn't realise how much effort it is to hold your head up! The natural inclination when relaxed is for the head to look down slightly.

So unless in your normal viewing position your head will be supported by a sofa than seriously consider that!

6. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Consider this...

When you go to the cinema, where do you sit?

:smashin:

7. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Ours is wall mounted and middle of screen is at eye level when sat on the settee.Perfect height i would think for comfort.We also have plasterboard walls and theres no way i would have fixed it to that alone.It really needs to be screwed to the wooden joists.

8. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have recently moved into new house and wall-mounted my 42" plasma so that middle of screen was head-high when I was standing up. It looked really good,till sette`s were delivered and I sat down :thumbsdow

I have bought a new plasma and decided to place this on a unit, so that it is head high when I am sitting down and it is much better :)

I also have the option of moving tv to different locations in lounge, which you do not have when you mount it on wall.

Another small point, I had cables running up back of fireplace, and with power lead and aerial lead being so close together, I had a bad picture on certain channels.Now (exact same)cables are seperated, and I have no problems at all

I now have multiple holes on wall to skim and paint

9. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Davie,

How close together were the aerial and power lead ?

Thanks

steve

10. Drinkstrader

Drinkstrader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all - I think I'll be sticking with the AV stand!

11. peely67

peely67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My 50 INCH PANNY PZ80 IS WALL MOUNTED, WITH A SLIGHT TILT DOWN BRACKET. THE BOTTOM OF THE SET IS 4FT FROM THE FLOOR. I SIT ABOUT 9-10FT AWAY (2.5-3 M).
    I SIT EITHER ON A SETTEE WITH GOOD NECK SUPPORT OR ON A RECLINER.
    I FIND IT NO PROBLEM AT ALL, AND HAVE NO NECK ACHE, IT ALSO SAVES A HELL OF A LOT OF SPACE BEING ON THE WALL IN QUITE A SMALL ROOM. (13FT X 13 FT)
    TO COIN A PHRASE, "I'M LUVIN IT!!" :clap:
    CHEERS.
    CHRIS

12. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    my house also has the crappy dry wall finish on the outside walls,
    the outside walls (if same as mine) will have the plasterboard, small cavity then you should be into breezeblock. If you are going to wall mount I would get long screws and go straight through to the breeze block and anchor this way.
    I have a mirror about the same size as 50" plasma above fireplace and weighs quite a bit, this is mounted like this and has been up for a good few years now.