1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viewing hd clips on my lcd tv using my pc how???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by carphone, Aug 2, 2005.

1. carphone

carphone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am very much a newbie when it comes to HD stuff. I have a HD sagem 27" lcd tv arriving soon and i would like to test it to its max.

I have downloaded some hd clips from microsoft site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx

I want to view these clips on my new tv when it arrives and I have some questions that i hope someone can answer.

The sagem tv has an hd enabled dvi socket and a standard vga input (no hdmi) . My exisiting computer only has a basic integrated graphics card with vga out.

My plan is simply to connect my PC to the lcd tv using a vga -> vga cable and then play the clips using windows media player 10. Will this give me a decent hd picture on my tv?

Other questions:
    should i buy a cheap graphics card which has a dvi output and connect my lcd tv using dvi -> dvi? If so will this dramatically improve the quality i will see? (if so can anyone recomend a good value AGP card with dvi out)

Is windows media player the best software to play these clips?

I hope someone has time to help me with my questions, I would certainly appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Dan

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Best way is using VGA-VGA like you say but try and make sure you get a 1:1 pixel mapping with the native res of the LCD. I.e. if it's 1280x720 then make sure you set your gfx card to 1280x720. Definitely can do with with Nvidia and ATi gfx cards, not so sure on integrated graphics solutions.

This is as good a picture as you'll get as you haven't any other connection options :) That's how I run mine and it's acceptible to me. Then just use the PC as a PC with a big monitor!

3. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I use mine with VGA / VGA and get good results - definately better than SD. If you do not know how to switch between screens - plug it all in then once your happy that everything is fine then hit the Function (Fn) and F4 key - this switches between monitors (at least it does on mine). Once you have the output to the tv I would suggest altering the resolution on your picture - in fact wind it up as far as you can. When you switch back to your PC (Fn + F4) you should find your PC is at the original resolution.
    I have a 155mhz M processor which does not sound that fast but it deals with 720 video perfectly however on some of the 1080 stuff it struggles - but certainly good for demos to your mates - they will be impressed :thumbsup:

I look forward to you posting - how do I play this type of file? - etc coz once you start downloading you will find all sorts of people out there who upload them in differnet formats.

Cheers
    Dave