Viewing Distance

S

swilt1

Hi All

Still going around in cirlces trying to decide what size/model LCD to get 26" or 32" but one thing I have come across reading 1000's of reviews is regarding the sitting distance.

I will be around 8 - 9 feet away from the screen.

Are there any general guidelines on what size screen you should have for this distance?

Thanks in advance

I'm 9ft from my 37" and it looks small. Wish I'd saved up for the 45".
For HDTV I'd see more detail if it was bigger - or if I sat closer.
Moral: Get the biggest you can afford :lesson:

8-9 feet away is OK for a 32". I would recommend sitting 7-12 feet away. Of course it all depends on the quality of what you're watching. Freeview and Satellite would drive you nuts on a 37" from 7-8 feet, however clever your TV is! I would say the 26" is slightly on the small side.

Jimmy

It may come as a surprise, but the recommended THX viewing distance for a 32" screen is 3.6 feet!

The maximum recommended THX distance for a 32" is only 5 feet!!

Further info here.

A lot of members do seem to regret not buying a larger screen after a relatively short length of time.

jimsan said:
Freeview and Satellite would drive you nuts on a 37" from 7-8 feet, however clever your TV is!
I sit 8 - 9 feet away from a 55" screen and even though I would say that some satellite transmissions can look a bit ropey, many look excellent and on a par with some DVD's.

Steve.

Sorry but I just calculated the distance for my 37GA4E. 4.3m maximum (that's ok with me, I'm sitting 2.8m away from it) but optimal distance 1.3m!! :eek: Sorry but at that distance I can count pixels... no way I would ever watch a movie from such a short distance... :thumbsdow

Steve Zodiac]It may come as a surprise, but the recommended THX viewing distance for a 32" screen is 3.6 feet!

The maximum recommended THX distance for a 32" is only 5 feet!!
All these THX recommendations are calculated assuming you are watching HiDef sources on projector screens! It is calculated purely to acheive the correct screen width (26-36 degrees, I think) for the ultimate optical impact.

This takes no account of the fact that most of us are watching televisions which are trying to decipher comparitively crummy signals. Certainly 5 feet away is just OK on a 32" with the very best source on the very best TV. But only just.

Jimmy

I read somewhere that NTSC broadcasts were originally developed with an optimum viewing distance of 6 times the screen height. Certainly 2 to 3 times the diagonal is a good rule of thumb for CRTs anyway.

neilmcl said:
I read somewhere that NTSC broadcasts were originally developed with an optimum viewing distance of 6 times the screen height. Certainly 2 to 3 times the diagonal is a good rule of thumb for CRTs anyway.
6 x 15.5in (height of 32") = 7.75 feet.

Yeah, I could go with that. I watch from 10 feet and it is crisp'n'clear! I was used to a 28" Widescreen CRT so the 32" seems huge, even at that distance.

Jimmy

neilmcl said:

Actually I think it's 8 times the height of 4:3 and 6 times for 16:9 ratios anything less than this and you start see scan lines and artifacts. Interestingly though the recommended CVD (critical viewing distance) for HDTV is only 3 times screen height. This is all based on CRT sources and doesn't take into account the different viewing characteristics of LCDs or plasmas.

If you want to get technical you can calculate the optimum viewing distance as follows:

The angular resolving power of the average human eye is 1/60 of 1 degree.

So the max viewing distance at which your eye can distinguish adjacent pixels is given by:

distance = pixel pitch / min angle in radians

The pixel pitch on my 37" Sharp is 0.6mm so

Distance = 0.6mm / (1/60/360x2xpi) = 2.06m = 6 feet & 9 inches.

This agrees with my experience: Watching 720p material from 9 ft I feel like I can't see all the detail on my 37". Still it's not such a bad feeling :)

LcdGuru said:
If you want to get technical you can calculate the optimum viewing distance as follows:

The angular resolving power of the average human eye is 1/60 of 1 degree.

So the max viewing distance at which your eye can distinguish adjacent pixels is given by:

distance = pixel pitch / min angle in radians

The pixel pitch on my 37" Sharp is 0.6mm so

Distance = 0.6mm / (1/60/360x2xpi) = 2.06m = 6 feet & 9 inches.

This agrees with my experience: Watching 720p material from 9 ft I feel like I can't see all the detail on my 37". Still it's not such a bad feeling :)

what was your dvd player again and what output?

LcdGuru said:
Watching 720p material from 9 ft I feel like I can't see all the detail on my 37". Still it's not such a bad feeling :)

Based on watching WMHD 720p clips from a PC, 9ft is too far - but regular DVDs and Sky look about right from 9ft.

The latest video from AVForums

RESTORATION vs. REVISIONISM: At what point do 4K video and audio 'upgrades' cross the line?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom