Viewing distance..?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't bought a TV for a good few years but now fancy a larger one with more features, smart TV, 3D, streaming built in etc.

I'm unsure of the size to get, measuring looks like I could fit upto a 55" into where it needs to go (have a 40" LCD at mo).

Is there still a "rule" on the max size you should buy?

Currently the TV is in an alcove, so it's offset, not ideal I know, the direct seat in front is only about 6' away where the other seats are offset.

I don't really want to at mo, but maybe could walk mount it on chimney breast to be more central.

So is 55" going to be too big, should I go for 47/48/50? I do want a larger than my current at 40"

Thanks.

Offset could be an issue with an LED, you often get washout if off axis. IPS Panels are better but then you get greyer blacks. Neither an issue with good old plasma of course

There are guides on viewing distance, height etc. You'll be fine with HD but SD will be horrible

Thanks for link, so it seems if watching HD though at about 6' 1080P would be a benefit to me, if I've read the graph correct for a 55" screen?

I try to watch HD when available of course yes, ie terrestrial channels via V+ mad any others available on my V+ box! also my PS3, not sure if Netflix is in HD or not though via PS3

TV size related to viewing distance is totally based upon personal preference. The "rule" calculator has you multiply the the screen size by 1.5 and divide by 12 for the feet away from the TV you should sit. Using that, you should sit 7.5 feet away from a 60 inch TV. That seems like overkill lol.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom