1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viewing distance ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markevo, Nov 17, 2004.

1. markevo

markevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been doing some measuring and although i want a panny 42", my head will be only 9ft away and slightly lower than the screen.
    is this to close, will i be better with the 37" ( i would like the 42" but dont wont to have viewing problems)

any help appreciated.

Mark

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have a 42PW6 and I am sat 9ft away. There are no visual problems that I could associate with the viewing distance. I sometimes wish I could afford a 50"!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll second that. I've put some monsters into tiny London flats, famously a Fuji 50, but must wait till after the 9 o clock watershed before telling that story.

4. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'd go 42". I went 37" to keep the missy happy only 2 weeks ago and already I'm wishing I'd gone 42". Esp if you go for Panel rather than TV approach.

Seriously - you wont regret it.

5. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maw,

Please tell us the story please. It's way past watershed hours :)

Alex

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I sit roughly 10 foot away from my 37” Viera and I think it’s probably a perfect distance.

However, it currently sits on the cabinet stand – if I were wallmounting the screen then I probably would have definitely opted for the 42”.

Hope it helps!

7. AKM

AKM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I'm only 6 feet away and i got a 42" !!!!!!!!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ha, as all the minors who can read are at school, I culd tell you the 50" one, it's 7ft from the guy's pillow! I went to install it as the engineer who'd gone the day before had an unspecified disagreement with the client, so the boss, (not me at that stage) sent me round, as installation field manager at the time all problems were mine. So there I was, client very excited, we put the screen on the wall mount between us, and I started to asemble the rest of the kit. He made a phone call, then the doorbell went. There am I, crouched over the kit, client watching from the bed. What I hadn't looked round to see was that the visitor was snuggled upo with him on the bed watching too. They each had a puppy, that's what made me look round. The puppys were obviously brothers, but I couldn't help but notice that the loo seat would spend most of it's time in the 'up' position. I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about a conventional couple, my broadmindedness did not stretch far enough for what was going on I'm afraid. What they do when I'm not there is absolutely their own affair, likewise myself and my wife, it's simply not a spectator sport to me.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    You sure you were crouching and that you weren't 'bent' over double then ?.........sorry couldn't resist :rotfl:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    crouching very defensively actually! Not one of my better installing memories. Dogs bring me bad luck I think, one of my guys claims he's pregnant by a rampant Dalmatian at the moment. That one also ate a box of cx15 cable.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I'm intrigued as to how you must have handled this one... after all with them being the customer and for you to have said anything to them. Well it would have given them all the reason for them to get a bit "touchy and arsey" with you if you had complained to them in their home......The Confessions of a Professional Plasma Installer :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lay off the arse touching please! I just tried my best to ignore it, and finished as quickly as I could.

13. lingy

lingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh dear and theres me thinking what a great job it would be installing plasmas :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I suppose if a guy comes along and asks " do you fancy coming round to "mount" my plasma.....well the warning signs are there ! :rotfl:

Sorry MAW but I have been giggling to myself all day over this one. If I had been in your position I can assure you I would have made my excuses and got out of there in a flash.

It reminds me of a business meeting I had in Eindhoven once.... :eek:

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ekko, my installer had already refused them once, what was I to do? The boss fortunately has a real sense of humour, though I no longer work for him, he's a good guy personally. In fact he would be the winner of the prize for the most frequent and gratuitous use of the F-word in a bridegroom's speech if there was one, that was almost as embarrassing as the 50".
    It took me a while to get over the 50" connection, if you see what I mean, but I have now sold quite a number to some fine people, but it wasn't long ago that they were only affordable to the double income, no kids brigade. I don't use that expression in polite company any more, I'd have to explain the laughing.

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I really don't blame your installer ! In a situation like that where you are wall mounting a 50" in a fairly small place...if anything was to go wrong and the customer somehow did approach you....well you would be kind of praying for a bit of wall space something chronic :D

17. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking about the same problem. My place is being built right now. I have estimated I will be 10.5Ft 126inchs from the wall. I have still gone for the PW6 42inch screen.

They say:

8ft-10ft = 28in-32in Screen

10ft-12ft= 36in-42in Screen

12ft+ = 42in-50in

18. markevo

markevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what ive seen in a few shops, if you get very good quality picture 9ft would be fine, however if the PQ is bad it seems to exaggerate it and looks awfull,
    so i hope my PQ is going to be good through my ntl box and my dmre55 as ive now decided to go for the panny 42pw7.