Viewing Distance - What's yours?

Shwing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

If possible, can anyone who has an LCD tv please answer the few questions below...

1) What is the make & model of your set

2) What size of screen is it?

3) How far do you sit from the screen?

4) Are you happy with your size of screen, or do you wish you had gone bigger/smaller?

5) How good/bad do SD pictures (freeview) look?

Many thanks.

i'll go first,
1) Toshiba 27wl55
2) 27"
3) 8ft
4) wish it was bigger, but then it's 2 1/2 years old and was a real bargain. i paid £425 when others sets of similar size were £700+
5) Really, really good SD picture, it's fed by a humax PVR8000T

I'm going to go 37" or 42" at some point this year.

1) Sharp 42XD1
2) 42"
3) 2m for films, around 85cm for Windows/PC use
4) Yes, right size
5) Don't watch TV, but 350MB AVI TV series and 750MB film animations look superb, using ffdshow scaling and post processing macro blocking smoothing for lower quality avi's.

1. Sony KDL-32S2010
2. 32"
3. 3.5 metres for TV, sit on the floor at 1-2 metres for PC use.
4. Far too small, but it is a stop gap until I deceide on which 42-50" set I get.
5. Freeview looks good, even closer viewing is acceptable. HD doesn't look any better from 3.5 metres TBH.:rolleyes:

1. Samsung LE32R73BD
2. 32"
3. Approx. 8' 6"/2.6m
4. About the right size. Looked massive when I first got it, but it has mysteriously shrunk since then!
5. Freeview looks good, a bit of pixellation noticeable on dark scenes through some channels, but main channels all ok. AVI's at 624x352 or 608x336 (350MB files) perfectly watchable. 720P AVI's look amazing!

1) Sony 46X2000
2) 46"
3) 6'-7'
4) Yep, happy with size
5) Freeview looks ok, Sky looks bad (crappy bitrate)

Samsung LE40R73BDX
40" LCD
12 Feet to Sofa
Yes Ideal - Have the 32" but this was too small for the room
No Freeview in this area - Some SD Progs are ok - Channel 5 is good - Uk Gold isn't !

Panasonic lxd600 32 inch at 7.5ft viewing distance.

1) Sony 40W2000
2) 40"
3) 3.2 metres
4) Yes very happy with size (although would secretly love a PJ!!)
5) Freeview looks ok due to the distance I sit from it...if close can see its not too great!

1: Toshiba 26WLT66
2: 26"
3: 1.8M/6ft
4: Perfect for the size of my room, was considering 20" regza (too small) 32" le74bdx (too big)
5: Built in freeview, quality is excellent, I did have to dim the backlight as it was on 100% and it gave me headaches, now on 35% and its grand!

1) Goodmans GTVL42W15HD

2) 42"

3) 9ft

4) Happy with the size

5) excellent Sd pictures through sky hd box

panasonic 26lx60
26"
6-8ft
Happy with the size, perfect for my bedroom.
Freeview is excellant quality, very pleased. analogue ranges from acceptable to v good.

Sony KDL-26S2030
26 "
7'
Perfect Size
Very impressed with Freeview and Sky; any bigger and I would notice the flaws at this distance

1) Sony 26S2030

2) 26"

3) 3 metres

4) Yes very happy, would like to try 32" screen but wouldn't want comments to go from "nice telly" to "woah, big telly" - telly doesn't dominate room at mo

5) Freeview pic fab from this distance, from 1 metre screen issues with LCD begin to show (internal freeview box is excellent)

my setup here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3696360&postcount=877

:)

Hi.

If possible, can anyone who has an LCD tv please answer the few questions below...

4) Are you happy with your size of screen, or do you wish you had gone bigger/smaller?

Many thanks.

1 - sharp lc32dg8e
2 - 32"
3 - anything over 2 m is ok - less is not so good.
4 - no should have went for a 37"
5 - SD generally good

Hi.

Many thanks.

1)sony x2000

2)40"

3)8ft

4) i have had 9 flat panel tv's i was happy with the size of 40" to 43" from 8ft over the years of buying these panels but my new tv is 1080p and i also have HD DVD and sky hd and i now need a bigger tv as it is way too small from 8ft to resolve full 1080 HD :( so i will be getting a bigger size..!!

5) sd looks as good as sd can on this tv although its not freeview im watching it through sky HD which is deinterlaced by the tvs processors to 1080p to fill all the pixels on my panel but then put on sky movies HD9 or bbc HD or Discovery HD and its awesome but as i said need a bigger size now due to how good the picture is i can sit 4 ft from the 40" panel and it does not tax your eyes its perfect so from my distance of 8ft i need around a 46" to 50" panel :devil:

1) Samsung SM940MW

2) 19in 16:10 WS

3) atm 2ft, in bed 6ft, however once on wall bracket the 2ft will become 4ft and the 6ft will become around 8ft

4) A 23in would perhaps have been nice but then this only cost £250....also i have an 86in screen with a decent quality projector :D

5) no freeview tuner built in, analogue downstairs on roof aerial sucked but that was probably more to do with the weather being atrocious, sky went off is how bad it got...lol. however Sky in to this thing when weather is working is ok, close up its a little ropey compared to a CRT but thats what you expect, from 5ft+ though its pretty decent. only bought it as a side monitor anyhow, i use the PJ for the computer and use the LCD for TV distraction...lol
havnt tried DVD with it yet, it has component inputs so i might give it a whizz just to see, not that i'll use it......oh and PC gaming is nice on it, but again i use the PJ for this so it makes no difference ;)

1. LG 37LE2R
2. 37"
3. 3m (9/10 ft)
4. Perfect
5. Great (with Humax 9200T PVR)

1. samsung le32r74bdx
2. 32"
3. 9 ft
4. screen size is alright but next time im going bigger
5. IMP samsung lcd's are cheap and badly designed
and ive never been happy with this tv thats why
im currently in the process of replacing it with the sony 40x2000

Hi.

Many thanks.

1) Philips 42PF9831D

2) 42"

3) 9ft

4) Very happy with the size. 42" is just right for my living room

5) SD pictures through SKY are excellent but HD is absolutely amazing!!! :smashin:

1. Philips 32PF9731D
2. 32"
3. 2.5-3m
4.Size is spot on-nearly bought the 37" but prefer not to be annoyed buy crappy SD picture quality
5. Sky SD is generally pretty good you can notice the poor bitrate channels though but not as noticable as on a bigger screen

Size isn't everything!

1) Samsung LE32R74BDX

2) 32

3) About three metres

4)Very happy

5) I think mine from the distance i sit is very respectable, it obviously isn't as sharp as the the crt that it replaced but still decent enough on the BBC channels and certainly better than the freeview picture that i saw when i checked the TV out in selfridges.

Hi.

Many thanks.

1) Sammy LE40R7

2) 40"

3) At least 8' (Anything less than 6' and picture is crap)

4) Should have got 37" for my room (Had a 32" CRT before)

5) Freeview very good but had to buy a signal booster for DTV even though the signal was fine for my Humax 9200.

1) Tosh 32WLT66

2) 32"

3) Min 6.5ft (2m) Max 12ft (3.5m)

4) Yes, 37" would've been too big at closest view point

5) DVD excellent at any position, Freeview OK at 6.5ft (can pick out some graininess on dark scenes) better at 12ft, although a 37" would've been acceptable at 12ft.

I'm sure plenty of people kid themselves that they're 42" screen from 6ft looks good, after all you've spent a packet on a big telly and want it to look good.
If I get close to mine, say 2ft away on SD Freeview it isn't too hot at all, but again DVD is still pretty good so it depends a lot on source quality. HD Freeview one day maybe?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom