1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing distance to plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by House, Jan 23, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    One for current plasma owners/users.

What would you say was the optimum viewing distance for a 42" plasma, and more importantly what is the minumum distance you can watch from before the picture will show 'flaws'.

Thanks in advance.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I sit about 9 foot eyeball-to-screen from a 43" Pioneer 433HDE and find it's just about right for DVD playback and films via Sky+ but I sometimes feel that I could do with being another 2-3 feet away when watching ordinary TV shows on Sky+.

So I would say anywhere from 9 to 12 feet away would be the 'sweet' spot, but I guess ut's really a combination of personal preference and what you will be watching.

Cheers, Lee

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i sit or lay about 8 to 9 feet away idealy another 2 or 3 foot would be great

4. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - 9 feet away though I'm going to re-arreange and try about 14 feet away which might be *just* too far. I also need a motorised stand to rotate the screen 90 degrees for when I'm horizontal. :p

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm about 9 or 10ft away myself. On DVD it's no problem watching from about 6ft (a sofa runs down the side of the room as well as one along the back) but the best Sky position is from the 10ft away position.

Mind you, I plugged in this little "Digital Sattelite Equalizer" thingy the other day and it has made a noticable difference in removing some if the interference my picture suffered! I can probably sit a foot closer now!!!!!

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Could you tell me more about this Digital Sattelite Equalizer thingy please.

Cheers, Lee

7. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting that you all say you need to sit further away to watch sky. We all went out and spent good money and ended up with large screens which have major trouble displaying a quality image form any source other than DVD. The solution to this problem, we sit further away :)

I sit around 7 feet from the screen for all sources. i was initially unimpressed with not DVD performance but after adding the iscan and pumping the output to VGA the perfomance of sky is now very very good (Almost no solarisation, less artifacting, improved contrast and cleaner image)

The point of having a large screen is to become more imersed in the action. Sitting further away means that you could have go the same impact with a crt 36inch and would have had a far superior picture quality

Phil

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What the equalizer thingy does well is get rid of some of the crap the signal picks up on it's way to the decoder box. It was only 20 quid or something like that, hardly worth not having! (Don't expect it to be the answer to all your Sky problems - but it does give it a helping hand removing bits of interference).

Quoting the manufacturer spec:

"A sattelite equalizer for digital recievers, which is used to diminish interference and reduce distortion in the lower frequency range"

TECH DATA

Freq Range: 480 - 2300 MHz
    Interference Loss
    -25dB @ 480MHz
    -10dB @ 950 MHz
    -5dB @ 1200MHz
    -2.5dB@ 1700MHz
    -1.5dB@ 2000MHz

Phil - I agree totally. The distances I was going on about was without my Brite View. Adding a scaler has made the world of difference and i would recomend it to anyone who can fit it into their budget. With Brite View I can site another few feet closer!

9. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Well, I sit about 6 feet away from the screen for all sources (the lounge won't allow any different).

I feel pretty immersed in any DVD from that distance, and the picture is awesome over component. Normal TV viewing is also excellent. I've not got $ky, but watch freeview over the VGA input from a Nokia 221T. The picture is VERY good, with only occasional artefacting. I'm more than pleased with it.