Question Viewing distance on a 65"

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by moanjam, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. moanjam

moanjam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    After a bit advice, I'm looking to buy a 65" TV now I can go upto £2k on budget if needs but I sit 4 metres away from the TV and straight on (so viewing angle not important ) , question I have is am I wasting my money on a higher end TV say like the Sony xf9005 ,or a LG oled? I Can can get say the new LG 65Uk6470plc for under £1k which seems decent spec? Oh and I don't game, cheers in advance for any advice

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    There are plenty of things that affect picture quality regardless of viewing distance.

A lot of the limitation these days is dependant on the quality of the stuff you're watching, features like HDR need content support.

If you're watching normal UK telly then yeah, I'd be happy with a lower end model. The LG models tend to be poor on brightness and contrast so it wouldn't be the first one I'd look at, but I haven't really looked at 2018 ranges yet so I can't advise on who is offering the best model at that price.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You should make a thread in the What Is The Best TV For You? section and have a read of the guides here:

Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD
    My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Generally it's not a good idea to go for a 2018 model like that LG when you can find 2017 models at clearance prices right now. The 2018 models tend to carry a large premium for minimal to no gains in picture quality compared to the year before.

Your question regarding which model to go for has already been mentioned above, generally you only need to spend more to get better HDR. A lower range TV will be just as good for most people.